PDA

View Full Version : Lube sizer and TL boolits?

ghh3rd
03-20-2010, 09:31 AM
I was wondering if anyone has tried using a lube sizer (Lyman 4500 for instance) on TL boolits. After all, they do have lube grooves, although very many and very small.

35remington
03-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Yes, I lube mine that way all the time.

The advantage to the many small grooves is that you can choose to lube only a few grooves with the soft rifle type lubes and get control of leading and good accuracy.

The downside to a single big lube groove with the better lubes in pistols is that accuracy is often poor despite no leading because the bullet is overlubricated and really never gets a hold on the barrel. If, for example, I lube my single groove HG 68 clone with Lyman Super Moly, 50/50 or similar acccuracy is horrible, and since the lubrisizer is filled with good lube you're faced with replacing it with a harder lube, which is a pain when you need what's already in it for something else with more demanding lube requirements.

So the multiple grooves and the possibility of lubing only a few of them allows some flexibility in loading for handguns, which don't need a really good lube in large quantities most of the time.

Recluse
03-20-2010, 01:02 PM
I have and with a couple of boolit designs, just ended up making a big mess. I use the LLA/JPW/MS blend on all my tumble-lube design boolits--it's the easiest, fastest and least messy way to tumble lube and it gives me superb results regardless of the boolit.

:coffee:

35remington
03-20-2010, 01:07 PM
In so lubing my own tumble lube bullets, I can't say it was a "big mess" because it wasn't.

At most, if the bullet had a slight bevel to the base, the lubrisizer deposited a little lube there, but that's easy to wipe off, or you can easily remove the slight bevel in the mould if present and make it a true flatbase.

It is no great hardship to try this for yourself and see if it's a problem. You're the best judge of what works for you.

Shiloh
03-20-2010, 01:08 PM
To me, it defeats the purpose of the whole TL idea. I've tried it and my results were no better than lubing with a light dose of Alox or Xlox, only it took a lot more time.

SHiloh

ghh3rd
03-20-2010, 06:45 PM
I agree that TL'ing is much easier, and that the Alox lubes work well, but I've found a boolit that seems to perform well in my Ruger SBH (Ranch Dog TLC432-265-RF), Since I've been having to lube 100 at a time, I was hoping I'd be able to get a lube sizer to do the messy part for me.

fatelk
03-20-2010, 09:34 PM
I have had problems with alox lube recently, and have started lubing my .45 TL boolits on my Lyman lube-sizer. It doesn't work perfectly, but does OK.