PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Weigh Clips?

Bigscot
03-19-2010, 11:06 PM
Is it worth trying to recycle them or just throw them away? Have a 5 gal + bucket full of them in need of attention.

Bigscot

osage
03-20-2010, 12:43 AM
I recycle mine when I take a load of steel to the scrap yard. I also check on buying lead when I'm there.

Bigscot
03-20-2010, 01:27 AM
Osage,

Good. I'll take mine in and see what I get. I did not know if they would take because they were contaminated with lead. How much do you get for them?

Bigscot

osage
03-20-2010, 04:26 AM
Bigscot
I don't recall what I got for that pickup load. It was a mix of old well pipe, grain bin drying floor, nuts,bolts and ww clips in steel buckets. From what I saw as long as it stuck to the crane magnet it did not matter.
What I do remember is seeing wheelweights and other lead boxed and on pallets that the yard had ready to ship out. I was a day late on that one as they would not sell any of those.
The way I look at it is any recycling is better then stuff ending up in a garbage mountain ( aka landfill ).

evan price
03-22-2010, 03:23 AM
After they cool, the clips and dross go into a 55-gallon barrel along with oil filters, brake pads, shock absorbers, mower blades, and all the other leftover metal junk. That barrel gets hauled in to the scrap yard a couple times a year and sold for whatever the sheet iron price is that day. I usually can make a trailer load of the barrel, plus dead appliances, mower frames, bent wheel rims, wrecked auto body parts, and whatever other leftover metal junk I have laying around.
Otherwise I dump it into the trunk of whatever car I am taking to the shredder next.

bearcove
03-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Scrap steel is not worth much. But I think it is worth recycling. After all that's what we do. Recycle WW's, Be GREEN!!