PDA

View Full Version : Lead furnace repair,HELP!!!

madcaster
07-04-2006, 10:02 AM
please delete post,thank you.

David R
07-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Unplug it and take it apart. There should be a cover over the control. Look for broken or unhooked wires.

David

I'll be in chat for a little while

Edward429451
07-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Do you have an electrical test meter? It'd be easy to figure out if you do.

Element, thermostat, or electrical connections. Exactly like testing an electric water heater.

You'd have to disconnect a wire to the element in between the T-stat and element and ohm out the element. The same thing to the T-stat except with your meter leads on the t-stat connections and turn t-stat up n down to see if it opens & closes. Your problem area will be readily apparent.

madcaster
07-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Two bigger wires/element leads were broken or had just burned in two.
What to do now ya'll?
Thanks to everybody,
Jeff.

Edward429451
07-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Maybe it had shorted to ground or resistance had built up causing it to pull more amps than it should.

The element probably needs replaced and a little rewiring. How many watts is it?

madcaster
07-05-2006, 12:12 PM
As I will repeat myself over and over,thank you!
It is 110 volt,standard household current,not sure on the watts.
Lyman does not do repairs on this one anymore.
Jeff.

Dale53
07-05-2006, 12:23 PM
I have had a good bit of experience with the old Lyman 11 lb pot (orange base, cast iron pot with integral element). Generally, after time, it is common to end up with a "high resistance" connection that burns the wires off at that point. I have silver soldered new leads to the element leads with good success. You DO need proper wire with proper insulation when making repairs to the wiring. I get mine from an electrical supplier. Take the pot (apart) to the supply shop and show them what you have. They will then be able to recommend proper wire and insulation. No lampcord repairs to a heating appliance, fellows and gals. Do it right and it will last you for many years.

I have even replaced thermostats in these (an iron like your wife presses your shirts with has a near identical thermostat - you just have to readjust for hotter temperatures). However, that was the old days when we had supply shops for repairs like this. In this "new" "throw-a-way" society most of the old suppliers have gone belly up as few people try to repair anything today. Makes it much harder for the likes of us.

Dale53

David R
07-06-2006, 07:41 AM
If the wire to the element has broken. Remove the piece(s) of wire. It should be attached by screws to the element and thermostat. Find a piece of the same guage wire and style (stranded or not) with good insulation and replace the broken piece of wire.

If you are uncomfortable working on electrical stuff, find a friend to do it or ship the pot to me. I will fix it and return it.

David

madcaster
07-06-2006, 10:21 AM
David R,
Sir,you are all most helpful,and thank you all again.
The electric cord is in excellent shape,and as you say the wires to the elements are broken off.I will try to repair it locally,if not then I will gladly take you up on the kind offer.
Thank you Kindly,
Jeff.