PDA

View Full Version : Got my first CMP M1 carbine yesterday....

Harry O
03-19-2010, 03:02 PM
I have not shot it yet. I have a bunch of jacketed and lead-bullet handloads ready to try. I hope it works as well as my Marlin 62 in that caliber does.

I shot a CMP Garand match last summer (on my birthday, in fact) so I could qualify for a rifle. I planned to get a carbine, but by the time my match paperwork had been sent to the CMP, they were out of Service Grade carbines. I kept an eye on the website and saw that they got another batch in about a month ago. I got all my paperwork together and sent it in immediately.

I arrived yesterday. Made by National Postal Meter. The stock is in NRA good condition. No cracks or splits, but quite a lot of handling marks. I have not decided if I will refinish it or not. The parkerizing is about 95% and the bore looks perfect -- bright and shiny. I plan to shoot it this weekend. It is in better condition than almost all the carbines I have seen over the last year on the gunshow tables (they look like rack grade at best) and it cost less than the gunshow ones are priced at.

BTW, I checked the CMP website and see that they are almost sold out on service grade carbines again. It looks like they sell out fast whenever they get a batch.

sundog
03-19-2010, 03:37 PM
"BTW, I checked the CMP website and see that they are almost sold out on service grade carbines again. It looks like they sell out fast whenever they get a batch. "

Yup, considering the price.

Jack Stanley
03-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Poeple do like the carbines and when they are priced right they move quick . I had one many years ago and didn't care much for it so I let it go , it took several offerings of the CMP before I bought another . It's an Inland and a decent shooter but it looks way better than the one I used to have . So , as a collector gun I supposed it'll fit right in because I'll never wear it out .

I bought some dies for it and maybe loading for it will help it along some . You are right about the prices on tables :shock: I guess I'd have to be a true collector to apprieciate the prices I've seen .

Jack

Harry O
03-19-2010, 08:40 PM
I know about the prices. Way back when I got my Garand, the carbine cost 1/2 to 2/3 of a Garand. More recently, the prices are just about equal.

When I finally got around to getting a carbine, the cost had shot up. I spent a year looking at gunshow tables and what looked like rack grade (pretty bad) was priced from $800 to $1,000. Even the infamous Universal carbine was in the $500 to $650 range. No way.

So I finally decided to go through the shooting competition and get one from the CMP. (I did 225 out of 300 my first time out). Even there, the prices of the Garand and the carbine are just about equal, but it is my own fault I waited. So, I went ahead and bought it. Not cheap, but a lot cheaper than on the gunshow tables -- and better condition, too.

Frank46
03-20-2010, 12:49 AM
Last gun show I went to was just checking out the prices on M1 carbines. Prices ranged from rediculus to just plain crazy. I bout a blue sky about 5 years ago.
Think I paid 450 for it. Winchester bbl kind of a mixmaster but shoots pretty good. And at the same show a stock set with upper handguard for $65so swapped the beat up piece of wood that the carbine came with and it sure does look pretty. Frank

ELFEGO BACA
03-20-2010, 03:06 AM
I got my first carbine for less than $20. That was from the DCM a 'few' years ago. About 3 years ago i got one from the CMP for a lot more $$$$$$. I am very happy with it using cast bullets exclusively. The same cast bullet that works for the 32-20 works for the carbine - both sized to .312.

daboone
03-25-2010, 11:11 AM
First rifle I ever purchased back in '72, 1943 Inland for less than $100. Over the years it has served well, provided tons of enjoyment, dispatched a few wild pigs, a coyote, and many, many cans.

My 3 sons all say it's theirs when I die!

When the gas port cracked I found a 1943 barrel for $300. Had a smith do the rebarrel for $80. Decided to re-parkerized the other parts, another 75 bucks. Worth EVERY PENNY.

I decided to be buried with it, Sorry kids!

Harry O
03-29-2010, 03:37 PM
I shot it at the range over the weekend. No problems at all. It gobbled up the handloads, shot them accurately enough, and spit them out without a single bobble.

The only problem was the front sight. When the rear sight was all the way down, it was shooting 12-3/8" high (point of aim to center of group). I calculated how much needed to be added (about 3/32") and removed the sight. It did not exactly come off easily, from probably being there the last 60+ years, but nothing broke. Then I welded a blob of steel on top of the front sight. Spent a couple of hours filing the blob to shape, then cold blued it and put it back on the barrel.

I hope to get the the range again next weekend and do the final sighting. I have decided to NOT refinish the stock. It is not that bad and it is a record of 60+ years of honest use.

sheepdog
03-29-2010, 05:54 PM
You can raise handling marks out without refinishing. Wet a towel and take a small point like a corner and cover just the dings one at a time and iron it for a few seconds. You'd be surprised how much you can steam out. Wont look brand new but can make a stock look pretty dang good.