PDA

View Full Version : Turnbull Hunting Alaska

KCSO
03-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Happened to see a hunting show last night, Nosler Magnum Club?? Doug Turnbull was hunting moose in Alaska with the nicest 1886 I have ever seen. Boy I wouldn't have taken that pup out of the box let alone slogging through the swamps with it. He did make a nice shot on his moose though.

MtGun44
03-19-2010, 01:22 PM
He takes old doggy WInchesters and makes them nicer than when they were new. If it gets
messed up he can fixe it again.

I ran across him quite a few years ago at a gun show. I was looking over the tables and came
upon this Win 92 that was INCREDIBLE. Right next to it was an 1886 that was AMAZING!
I looked at the wood, the color cased frames, the mirror blued barrels, the perfect sights,
I was boggled. After a minute or two I looked up into the face of a bespectacled man
behind the table. Disoriented, I asked (rather foolishly) "What ARE these??" Quickly,
adding "Well, I know what they are, but are they originals or replicas?" He said "Originals,
that I have restored." Looking closer at the perfection, I said "These are absolutely
beautiful. But you knew that already!" And I laughed at my stating the obvous. I
asked his name and this was the first I had ever heard of him. He has gotten pretty
well known (well deserved) since then.

We had a nice discussion about his processes and the end results. NOT cheap but his work
is just perfection. If I ever win the lottery, I want an 1886 done up by his crew.

Seemed like a nice guy and sure knows how to restore a Winchester. I guess he is out
spending some of that hard earned money on fun in the wild places with his restored
Winchesters.

Bill

Snyd
03-19-2010, 05:22 PM
That's excellent. Those guns belong in the woods, not in the safe. Kinda like restoring a 57 Chevy and then never driving it. What's the point?!

doulos
03-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Turnbull Restorations is about 30 miles from house. They are located in Bloomfield, New York. Thats about 20 miles or so south of Rochester. I stopped in once and they let me "paw" some of their guns in the show room. To say these guns are awesome is an understatement. They are works of art.
His case hardening colors are second to none. I believe he does case hardening for USFA firearms.
They had some originals that were restored but also had some new 1886 Winchesters that they had redone that were awesome.
Look at some of the stuff on his website

NickSS
03-23-2010, 06:51 AM
This Thread reminded me of a guy I ran into years ago in New York at a public shooting range. He had six or eight Mausers all built on military actions but they were all in different calibers and all had extra- extra fancy wood that was superbly finished and checkered and all the metal was taistfully engraved with gold, silver and platnum inlays. I spent about half an hour drooling over them and could not beleave this guy was banging away with them. When I asked him he said he built all of them and did all the engraving too. He also told me that he was the chief engraver for Tiffany's in NY City at the time.