PDA

View Full Version : Question on Dacron Fillers

CJR
03-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Anyone using tufts of dacron in their PPCB loads to keep powder back against primer to improve accuracy? Group sizes before and after using dacron?

Best regards,

CJR

pdawg_shooter
03-19-2010, 01:05 PM
I try to always use a powder that will give me close to 100% load density. No fillers needed and I get my best velocity and accuracy that way.

Shooter6br
03-19-2010, 01:44 PM
i never use a filler Too many horror stories. Most may just be urban legends.

Lead Fred
03-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Ive never not used a filler. powder, veggie wad, filler, boolit.

Ive inspected the filler after its been shot, in every new load Ive shot.

To date, Ive not seen any melting or even heat on the filler.

Nobade
03-19-2010, 07:54 PM
I treat my PP loads just like jacketed loads. Mostly full cases of rifle powder are the norm. They don't shoot well with traditional cast boolit type loads, but do very well with jacketed type loads.

herbert buckland
03-19-2010, 08:31 PM
I treat my PP loads just like jacketed loads. Mostly full cases of rifle powder are the norm. They don't shoot well with traditional cast boolit type loads, but do very well with jacketed type loads.that is interesting do you youse GC under the PP and what velocity can you get before striping,this PP is seeming more yousful all the time

303Guy
03-20-2010, 03:28 AM
... what velocity can you get before stripping?That's a good question. My understanding is that PPCBoo's do not strip!

AkMike
03-20-2010, 03:59 AM
I ue dacron to fill the void when useing smokeless. Sometimes up to 15 grains of it. But I'm talking big cases for the 577/500 3 1/8th case. With black it takes 160 grains to fill it up.

herbert buckland
03-20-2010, 04:40 AM
That's a good question. My understanding is that PPCBoo's do not strip!well i think i will give it a go whith my jacked load of 38gr AR2208 whith a GC PP 218gr boolit or do you think that would be to much i will also give it a go whithout GCs just PP with the same load,i will let you know how it preforms

dddddmorgan
03-20-2010, 08:30 AM
I have used a Dacron filler for years in my light 45/70 loads.

I used 13 grains of Unique and a small pinch of Dacron I liberated from the wife's sewing kit. Just a tiny pinch keeps the powder down by the primer and consistency and accuracy are good.

All this aside, I just read an article about using IMR Trailboss powder. The guy from IMR said you can fill the rifle case to the base of the bullet if you like. This is ANY rifle round. I wouldn't want to try this with jacketed bullets but I would think with cast boolits it would work great. I'm going to try this with my 45/70, I would like a little more velocity than the Unique load imparts.

pdawg_shooter
03-20-2010, 08:30 AM
that is interesting do you youse GC under the PP and what velocity can you get before striping,this PP is seeming more yousful all the time

I have tried GCs with paper but can see no advantage. I have broken 3000fps using paper on a 311284 in a 300RUM with MOA accuracy. I have a post on here if you want to know how.

herbert buckland
03-20-2010, 04:18 PM
that is interesting do you youse GC under the PP and what velocity can you get before striping,this PP is seeming more yousful all the time

I have tried GCs with paper but can see no advantage. I have broken 3000fps using paper on a 311284 in a 300RUM with MOA accuracy. I have a post on here if you want to know how.that is the information i was after,I mainly shoot older rifles so geting to3000fps wont be a isue but it is good to know it can be done also no GC will be a bones

Zeek
03-21-2010, 11:21 AM
I treat my PP loads just like jacketed loads. Mostly full cases of rifle powder are the norm. They don't shoot well with traditional cast boolit type loads, but do very well with jacketed type loads.

Nobade: what is the alloy hardness you find best for use in that pressure range?
Thanks, Zeek

Nobade
03-21-2010, 06:56 PM
I just use air cooled wheelweights for all my high velocity smokeless loads. They're plenty soft, you can easily scratch them with a fingernail.

I just got back from the range where I tried PP in my M96 Swede for the first time. In the past, I had never gotten very good accuracy above 1700 fps with gaschecked grease groove boolits. Today was a different story, 44.5gr. AA#3100 and a BRP 129gr. Kurtz boolit, patched with 9# onionskin was holding 1 1/2 inches at 100 yds on paper, and smacking our 200 yd gongs with authority. 2600 fps with soft lead in the Swede! I'd have never thought it possible if I hadn't seen it happen. I also tried a new Mosin 91/30 for the first time. Apparantly .315 PP boolits aren't big enough, it leaded the bore and shot awful. The lesson here is fit is all important! Next I'll try bigger boolits and see what that does. I think I have a mould that throws a .314, so I'll patch that up and see what will fit in the case.

dualsport
03-22-2010, 01:37 AM
pdawg, I'd like to know where that post is, for sure. I suppose I can search it. I've been experimenting with pping the 311284 and Saeco #315. Haven't shot one yet. Just got to the point where the patch stays on the boolit in the sizer die. Would a slower twist help (like 1/12") when driving them hard? -Nobade, that news about the Swede is great and I appreciate your sharing it, I've been wanting to try that myself. You will probably turn some heads here with that one.

dddddmorgan
03-22-2010, 07:51 AM
"Just got to the point where the patch stays on the boolit in the sizer die."

??? You size pp boolits? I was under the impression you cast an under size boolit and patch it to the proper diameter, right?

Hmm... all this is new to me. I've been selling my old RCBS smooth boolit to a fellow who paper patches em.

Enlighten me, you size a pp boolit?

pdawg_shooter
03-22-2010, 07:58 AM
pdawg, I'd like to know where that post is, for sure. I suppose I can search it. I've been experimenting with pping the 311284 and Saeco #315. Haven't shot one yet. Just got to the point where the patch stays on the boolit in the sizer die. Would a slower twist help (like 1/12") when driving them hard? -Nobade, that news about the Swede is great and I appreciate your sharing it, I've been wanting to try that myself. You will probably turn some heads here with that one.

Here is a repost:

Back in November of 98 I decided to develop a sub-MOA, 3000fps load for a 30 caliber rifle. It took awhile, but I believe I have “got er done.”
The Rifle.
In order to get the velocity I wanted with this weight bullet I chose a 300RUM in a Savage model 116. It is stainless with a laminated stock. It came from the factory with pillar bedding, and I added glass behind the recoil lug, and under the front receiver ring and tang. I topped it with a Weaver T15 for this test. This rifle will group ¾ to 7/8 with good jacketed bullet loads.
The Bullet.
The most consistently accurate 30cal bullet I cast is the Lyman 311284 so this is the one I worked with. The alloy is a mix of WW and Linotype. I added lino. until an air cooled bullet tested 16.0 BHN on my Lee tester. The bullet was then sized .3015 with a push through die. This gave me full length bearing surface. The bullet was then patched with 16# green bar printer paper and allowed to dry overnight. I then clipped the tail, lubed with White Label BAC and run through a .310 push through die. This left the bullet .311 and ready to load. The finish weight, with patch, was 202gr.
The Brass.
I used new Remington brass. I full length sized them and sorted by weight allowing no more than +/- 1%. It was then trimmed to length, outside neck turned to .012 thickness, the primer pocket reamed to a uniform depth, flash holes drilled uniform and deburred. I then loaded with a 180gr. Core Lock and H4831 to fireform. The test load was then loaded in UNSIZED brass. I tried H1000, Retumbo, and finally settled on reloader25. The starting load was 88.0 and I worked up to 93.0. This gave me 3069 with no signs of excess pressure. Oh yes, the primer was a Federal 215. The bullets were seated about ¼ inch into the case and finished seating when the bolt was closed. This gave me an OAL of 3.670.
The Test.
Testing was done over 2 days. Shots were fired over a bench rest with a windage and elevation adjustable front rest and “bunny ear” rear rest. Twenty 3 shot groups were fired allowing the barrel to cool completely. The smallest group measured .760 and the largest was 1.140. The overall average figured out to .992. Mission accomplished, but just barely. So what good is this load? Not much unless you like poking holes in paper. Next step will be to neck size, seat to correct OAL and see how they shoot. Might make a good hunting load that way.
I do load some jacketed 180, 200, and 220 grain bullets for this one. It now wears a Simmons 3.5x10 scope. Maybe some day I can go elk hunting

pdawg_shooter
03-22-2010, 08:05 AM
"Just got to the point where the patch stays on the boolit in the sizer die."

??? You size pp boolits? I was under the impression you cast an under size boolit and patch it to the proper diameter, right?

Hmm... all this is new to me. I've been selling my old RCBS smooth boolit to a fellow who paper patches em.

Enlighten me, you size a pp boolit?

I cast standard size bullets, size them to .001/.0015 over BORE diameter, patch with 16# paper, lube and run them through a die of GROOVE diameter + .001/.003 or as large as will fit the throat. This removes excess lube and irons the patch on super hard. I have on mold for my 45-70/.458Win that drops .4515 and 430gr I patch as is. I still lube and size after patching. There are a few loads I lube with LLA and Johnsons paste wax that dont get sized after lubing.

dualsport
03-23-2010, 02:05 AM
dan, I'm still figuring this out, don't follow me, you'll get lost! I just found out that I should be using a Lee push thru die instead of a lube/sizer. Apparently there is more than one way to skin this cat. Some use a little lube, others say no. Haven't shot one yet, but am looking forward to it.

RMulhern
03-28-2010, 11:44 AM
DOES NOT....the title of this forum read.....BLACK POWDER PAPER PATCHING????????

Nrut
03-28-2010, 12:53 PM
DOES NOT....the title of this forum read.....BLACK POWDER PAPER PATCHING????????
Yep it sure does..
This thread and a few others that are related to smokless patching should be moved to the SMOKELESS PAPER PATCHING forum...[smilie=b:

You don't mind if I use your "[smilie=b:" do you Ric?..............[smilie=1: