PDA

View Full Version : 1 furnace/multiple alloys?

DeadWood
03-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Pretty much decided on the Lee Pro 4-20 for a furnace. i'm really excited about wanting to pour my own, my main focus will be this summer to make (or attempt) boolits for Muzzle Loader, 30-30 & .41 mag. And of course my list to make boolits for other calibers in my collection has already started (Springfield .45-70!!!)

I have started my collection of WW and have purchased some lead for ML.

I am beginning to understand different alloys for different weapons/calibers.

Is there any reason i shouldn't be able to drain/clean this furnace after every use in order to cast with a different alloy another day?

For the more experienced casters with the above situation: Do you find it easier to have multiple furnaces?

While i'm looking trying to find deals and make the most of my allowance i would hate to pass up a deal on a 10lb'r that i could use for ML casting.

thanks

AriM
03-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Should be no trouble. Pain in the butt to properly clean it out, but I use a single furnace/pot with all kinds of different alloys. I just scrub the inside down with a copper chore boy after I get all the lead out (pun?). Just be sure to wear a mask when you clean the residue out from the pot. I have found some nasty stuff left on the sides of my pots. My guess is that it's trace elements of sulfur, arsenic, and some other nasty things you don't want to breathe. Could be wrong about that, but better safe than dead.

thx997303
03-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Bottom pour pots tend to have a nasty habit of dripping, and it only gets worse when you empty the pot.

Crud likes to work it's way into the valve.

If you are going to be working with two alloys, I would just get the second pot.

Baron von Trollwhack
03-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Actually you may want to put magic marker scale marks on the outside of the pot so as to readily judge weight contents left. They will last. Try to cast your ingots equally so as to have some uniformity later when alloying. Keep different batches separate. Keep a little record on paper. Mark cold ingots according to your scheme with a marker. For just a few boolits you won't need a whole pot of alloy.

This is not gourmet cookware. Dip out the liquid, when the pot is near empty pick it up and dump what you can't dip. Turn it up side down and whack it to shake loose. then unplug and brush out with an old coarse fiber brush.

BvT

MT Gianni
03-19-2010, 06:45 PM
While it is easier with 2 pots it isn't necessary. Even a small amount of ww alloy in with 20 lbs of PB won't cause enough hardness problems to matter.

masscaster
03-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Hi DeadWood,
I'v used one pot for different alloys for years.
Usually I cast all of my Pure Lead first, then switch over to a hard alloy. A 20 lb pot drained down to where it covers 1/4 of a teaspoon standing upright is enough to ensure no conflicts. Remember to stir and scrape the pot sides and skim every 2-4 lbs removed. thisll keep the dross to a minimum. I never scrape the bottom of the pot at any time when I stir, this causes drips. I use a 25 year an old RCBS 22 pounder that only drips a tad if i'm pouring real small boolits, or the temp is a bit low if I pour too early.
Although a bit smokey to do, before filllin' your pot with lead raise the handle as far up as it will go and spray some penetrating oil in the hole, then let it burn out whilst working the handle as in normal use. This will seasom the rod and the spout. Don't do it if there's lead on these parts as it'll gall!!
Also, always keep 10 - 15 lbs pf sprue from your intended alloys, be sure to label them hard/soft. This makes it much easier to refill the pot, and less time. It's also goin' to be a cleaner alloy.
This should help you out.
Oh, Hi BvT!!
Jeff - a.k.a masscaster