PDA

View Full Version : Beaver Lube

semtav
03-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Has anyone tried "Beaver Lube" in their BPCR.
I want to test several different lubes in my 45-90 when it gets hot this summer.
thought I might put that one on my list.
so far I've got SPG and NASA lube on the list.

Also wondering about X-Ring lube. anybody using it?

spqrzilla
03-19-2010, 12:38 PM
I'd think that the beavers would squeal something awful when you squeezed 'em for it.

SharpsShooter
03-19-2010, 01:09 PM
........so that's what I'm doing wrong?? No lube on the beaver......whoda thunk it?

SS

BLTsandwedge
03-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Ahhhhh......beaver lube.

semtav
03-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Ahhhhh......beaver lube.

Somehow, I foresee this thread getting way off topic !!!! :bigsmyl2:

Guess I meant "Beaver Grease"

http://www.beavergrease.co.nz/index_files/Page470.html

Not that that matters

Daves1
03-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Grampa said," Beaver lube turns to grease with age....."

mastercast.com
03-20-2010, 01:02 AM
Beaver Lube or Beaver Grease........you did not stand a chance with this one!!!!!!!!!!!!(CHUCKLE!)

How about "Clam Oil" for bullet lube?

357maximum
03-20-2010, 01:11 AM
Beaver Lube or Beaver Grease........you did not stand a chance with this one!!!!!!!!!!!!(CHUCKLE!)

How about "Clam Oil" for bullet lube?

I have some rendered shellfish oil I use for trapping...I can send you some if you want a lube that guarantees you will have the range all to yourself...or get you kicked out.

Let's not let this thread go where WE ALL want to take it eh....thanks:wink:

geargnasher
03-20-2010, 01:24 AM
You folks think squeezing a beaver for oil is tough, try doing it to a BEAR! Now you can imagine why bear grease is so expensive!

Gear

mastercast.com
03-20-2010, 01:47 AM
I have some rendered shellfish oil I use for trapping...I can send you some if you want a lube that guarantees you will have the range all to yourself...or get you kicked out.

Let's not let this thread go where WE ALL want to take it eh....thanks:wink:

357maximum:

I have some deer estrus here that is not pleasant also. Perhaps some "Skunk" oil. Want a little dose of that? I guess you might get kicked off the range if you had some of that.

Just so will know, "Clam Oil" is another name for "Sperm Oil"...ooooooops! I guess you do not like that one either! "Sperm Oil" is one hell of a gun lubricant. It is from the oil found in the head of a "Sperm Whale".....ooooooops! We got nasty again! We used the term "Sperm"......woooooHooo! Big time nasty!

How about you back off, and let those of us that do not get "Nasty" have some fun?

No children or adults were harmed by my comments.

stubshaft
03-20-2010, 03:05 AM
It looks like Gatafeo loob and coming from NZ I would almost bet that it has mutton tallow in it. Something that we Yanks have a hard time getting (DGW is backordered again). Although I could be wrong on both counts as they claim you can drive it up to 2600fps. Just can't see a petro product being promoted as a BP loob or a synthetics for that matter. You could mix up a batch of Gatafeo, get some Pearl Loob from Dick Dastardly and some of the other homebrewed loobs.

dubber123
03-20-2010, 07:39 AM
JeffinNZ here on the forum either makes it or sells it I believe. He would be the one to ask about it. I'm proud I made it through without making a joke....

fishhawk
03-20-2010, 09:09 AM
ok ok how the devil do you lube a beaver? grab him by the feet or tail? beaver bite you know! steve k

wiljen
03-20-2010, 09:46 AM
How about you back off, and let those of us that do not get "Nasty" have some fun?

No children or adults were harmed by my comments.

How about you heed 357 Max's warning that this could go too far and not go that route. While no one has been hurt to date, we do have children that frequent this site and keeping it PG is appreciated. Being Nasty for the sake of being nasty is best done elsewhere. Call me a stick in the mud all you want, he had a point and tried to make it gently.

TCLouis
03-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Add DoAll "Tool Saver" to the list to try.
I have no idea what is in it (MSDS should be available) but it works with front stuffers and BP.

10 ga
03-20-2010, 10:23 PM
KY Jelly Should lube any beaver needin lube. And don't forget to loob all the grooves on the beaver. 10 ga

geargnasher
03-21-2010, 01:01 AM
I want to test several different lubes in my 45-90 when it gets hot this summer.

Hey, anybody remember the above?

I don't shoot bp anymore and have only used Emmert's or variations, so I can't really give any relevant input on X-ring or NASA.

Gear

mastercast.com
03-21-2010, 11:49 PM
CASTPICS:

Is this a site for Kindergarteners or adults?

Nothing I said was even naugthy, let alone NASTY.

"Clam Oil" is the same thing as "Sperm Oil" that comes from the head of a whale. I was delivered years ago in a metal can/bottle that was flat, and oval in shape..it resembled a clam, and that is the reason we called it that.

If your mind is in the "toilet", well that one is on you, not me.

Humor is based on "INCONGRUITY"....whip out your dictionary. That is the best word that describes it for me.

"Kids view this forum? Children can not own guns unless they reach a certain age in your state. That means they are not children in that state. I think that age is at least 18 or 21 years. Do you think they have heard worse in movies, on prime time television, etc......???????????????????

I tire of this "B.S." and the above is my final word on it.

xringshutr
03-22-2010, 12:13 AM
You had to know there would be some who would take this one and run with it. It is the internet and there are millions of personalities out there. I love shooting and casting, but I also enjoy a good laugh. There is nothing wrong with having a little fun too.

With that being said. You opened up a whole can of worms with "Clam oil" and "Sperm oil" in the same thread as "Beaver lube". [smilie=l:

I would say 9/10 prefer Beaver Lube. Just makes things easier to work with. :holysheep

mastercast.com
03-22-2010, 12:21 AM
You had to know there would be some who would take this one and run with it. It is the internet and there are millions of personalities out there. I love shooting and casting, but I also enjoy a good laugh. There is nothing wrong with having a little fun too.

With that being said. You opened up a whole can of worms with "Clam oil" and "Sperm oil" in the same thread as "Beaver lube". [smilie=l:

I would say 9/10 prefer Beaver Lube. Just makes things easier to work with. :holysheep

What ever you think!(Chuckle!)

Everything that was mentioned was true.

45 2.1
03-22-2010, 07:55 AM
How about you heed 357 Max's warning that this could go too far and not go that route. While no one has been hurt to date, we do have children that frequent this site and keeping it PG is appreciated. Being Nasty for the sake of being nasty is best done elsewhere. Call me a stick in the mud all you want, he had a point and tried to make it gently.

I assume you would be refering to "chat" here on this forum? How anyone could be so persistant about language here then go to chat and see whats there has a double standard.................

Tazman1602
03-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Man I cannot believe that anyone is getting censored for making fun of Beavers, that is WAY off base as far as my humble opinion is concerned.

A Beaver is a nice, furry, friendly creature that we all love and desire and whom does good for the environment.

Some people need to get a sense of humor I think.

I like *****'s too. I have two at my house. One is black and his name is "Sebastian", the other is multi colored and her name is "Lola" but I don't get lube from either one of them.

Love them BEAVERS!

trapper9260
03-22-2010, 09:30 AM
To start off with I am a trapper .I also trap beaver. To get beaver oil you need to render the fat of the animal. Then you can go from there to make the lube. The most of the fat is on the skin after you skin them out . When you flesh them down you have most of the fat that you need to render. Ortherwise the meat is very lean .You will have some fat on the belly. I hope this will help whoever who wants to make some beaver oil.

waksupi
03-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Skin a beaver tail, and render it out, plenty oil there.

waksupi
03-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Bob, I will once again point out that the chat room is not part of this forum. I understand it is hard for you to grasp this.

45 2.1
03-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Bob, I will once again point out that the chat room is not part of this forum. I understand it is hard for you to grasp this.

The "Chat" part was assumed since he never answered, But......
Must have missed something then....lets see
Chat room:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/addonchat.php
Main page:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
Shooters.com:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Cast boolits:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Says castboolits. gunloads.com/addonchat.php......accessed from here....... you actually mean that an addonChat (added on IIRC because it wasn't an option) is not here when it is added on..............Hmmmmmmmmmm.........Why would you go to a chat room anyway (attached to/addon) and do what you shouldn't do here............

wiljen
03-22-2010, 01:18 PM
The "Chat" part was assumed since he never answered, But......

I never answered because I figured you knew good and well what the differences were and there was no use stirring the pot. Since that isn't the case, here is a brief review:

1.) Chat conversations are only visible during the conversation and only to members currently logged into chat.

2.) Forum posts are visible to the public including children for as long as the post remains on the board.

3.) Most of our members that chat have learned who the younger folks are and chat gets cleaned up when they are present.

4.) We do remind people in chat when we have younger visitors to keep it clean there as well.

5.) Nobody said the line had been crossed yet in this thread, we merely cautioned that it not get worse as it serves no purpose.

6.) Nasty for the sake of nasty is not permissible per the forum rules, not the mods decision, but the hard fast written rules that have always been posted.

I hope this makes things a bit more clear and I'm sorry it wasn't spelled out sooner so as to prevent this misunderstanding.

SharpsShooter
03-22-2010, 01:51 PM
:holysheep.......is it spring yet???

SS

wills
03-22-2010, 03:05 PM

This was posted by Dan Theodore several years ago on another forum.

"Great For Hot, Dry Conditions" sourced from Dan Theodore

Ingredients, Procedures, Notes, etc.

All measures are by volume.
4 parts refined beeswax
2 parts LubeGard's "Valve and Assembly Lubricant"
2 parts anhydrous lanolin.
OR
5 parts refined beeswax
3 parts LubeGard
2 parts anhydous lanolin. "This makes a dandy lube for dry, hot conditions."
Note: LubeGard should be available at any NAPA Auto Supply store.
Note: Refined beeswax and anhydrous lanolin are available from: http://www.from-nature-with-love.com/soap/.

Melt the beeswax and anhydrous lanolin in a double boiler. Once both are well melted, add the LubeGard and stir for a minute. This lube works well for pan-lubing, as well as through a lube-sizer.

Why buy lube from New Zealand, when you can have made in the USA SPG?

semtav
03-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Sorry for asking :bigsmyl2:

Actually, I came across it and was just curious if anyone had used it.( the "Beaver Grease" from NZ), not the real stuff. [smilie=l: I do have friends who trap beaver in the early spring, and I know they are greasy little buggers to skin, so that may get added to my future list of ingredients.

I am currently using SPG and getting along just fine with it. However, I started doing this for fun, not competition ( although that is fun too).

If someone gave me a great gun with a great bullet and great lube shooting a perfect load and all I had to do is manipulate the trigger properly while adjusting my sights as recommended by the perfect spotter, this game would soon get boring.

So while I am on a quest to find a lube better or as good as SPG, I am also amassing ingredients to start mixing and testing my own lubes.

KY Jelly Should lube any beaver needin lube. And don't forget to loob all the grooves on the beaver. 10 ga

ironically, while searching for water absorbing lubricants, that type of stuff came up most of the time in my yahoo searches. Just wondering what my wife would think if I ordered a pail of it. :shock:

powderburnerr
03-22-2010, 11:05 PM
and then the fight began

Red River Rick
03-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Semtav:

I may have some left over Musk-Ox lard around..................if I find it, I'll send you some!

RRR

Southern Son
03-23-2010, 07:07 AM
KY would be a terrible lube for beavers. Firstlly it is water based, so it will stuff up your powder and primer, and secondly, everybody knows that you will get leading if you launch a beaver at over 1200fps using KY for lube. :holysheep

smokemjoe
03-23-2010, 08:23 AM
CBE gave me some to try and in smokeless and black powders it worked very good in my 41 swiss, wendell, french grass, 43 spanish and 45-70s

redneckdan
03-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Did yall know the best way to dry a drowned beaver is to roll them around in the snow to soak up the water then drag them around by their front paws to knock off the slush. Don't drag them backwards though.....fuzzless beavers aren't worth much.

semtav
03-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Don't drag them backwards though.....fuzzless beavers aren't worth much.

I imagine if you drag them baevers around backward too much you may need a little more lube too. :redneck: