PDA

View Full Version : Lube with wax based anti rust spray?

Whistler
03-19-2010, 05:37 AM
A renown caster in my country (if you read this: Hi, GS! Thanks for all the advice!) swears by using wax based anti rust spray used for cars when lubing boolits.

He says to use it just like Lee Liquid Alox, spray some on a 3/4 full plastic box with boolits and swirl it around, let it dry, size them and repeat the spray-n-swirl.

Any of you guys ever tested it? I've lubed up the produce of my last casting session like this, but haven't gotten around to shoot them yet, so I can't tell of any own experiences.

The wax is transparent, and the boolits are left with a thin coat, kind of like commercial .22LR cartridges.

stubshaft
03-19-2010, 05:47 AM
Alox originated as a metal rust preventative.

runfiverun
03-19-2010, 10:05 PM
they use a form of it as a spray on undercoating.

sagacious
03-20-2010, 01:49 AM
There are a number of metal-protecting sprays that use wax dissolved in a solvent carrier. As I recall, Boe-Shield uses a wax/solvent to protect metal. Two coatings of spray-on wax sounds like a reasonable lube system.

The rub is that these spray-on waxes are generally not as cost-effective as other means. There are dozens and dozens of common products that can be used as-is for bullet lube-- it just depends on what you want to pay, what application method you use, and what your performance needs are.