PDA

View Full Version : Flat nose CB's on cloven hooves

Huntsman
03-19-2010, 05:32 AM
OK, yet another question concerning CB's for hunting. This time it has to do with two of the molds I have and plan to use. They are; LEE .452 300grFN and LEE .50cal Improved Minie.
You see, on another forum they told me it was a poor choice as the flat nose will push hair & tissue into the animal causing a poor wound channel and you won't get the needed pass thru shot......:?:
Is this true. Because at the same time I was told that Round Nose are apoor choice too. So........what did the boyz use back in the ole'days?????

RugerFan
03-19-2010, 06:54 AM
OK, yet another question concerning CB's for hunting. This time it has to do with two of the molds I have and plan to use. They are; LEE .452 300grFN and LEE .50cal Improved Minie.
You see, on another forum they told me it was a poor choice as the flat nose will push hair & tissue into the animal causing a poor wound channel and you won't get the needed pass thru shot......:?:
Is this true. Because at the same time I was told that Round Nose are apoor choice too. So........what did the boyz use back in the ole'days?????

Someone is giving you bad advice. Flat nose cast bullets are the top choice for big game hunting in my opinion with round nose a very close second. Wound channels are outstanding with both. Won't get a pass though??? That's absolute hog wash! As long as you're using a sufficient bullet/caliber/alloy/velocity for the critter (not hard to figure out), you will RARELY recover a bullet as they will almost always pass through. Since when is a pass through a requirement for killing big game anyway? I've only recovered two cast bullets from animals I've shot. Both were large boar hogs and both dropped in their tracks. A big flat nose tends to do that. The bullets you want to use will work just fine.

elk hunter
03-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Huntsman,

The animals I've taken with round nose cast bullets died. The ones I've taken with flat point cast bullets seemed to die sooner, seems like there was more internal damage. I prefer that the bullet pass through as where I hunt the brush can be thick so you may not see the animal after the shot, and I believe two holes leak better than one, making tracking easier.

waksupi
03-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Huntsman, either will work as well or better than any jacketed premium bullet you can buy.
I would suggest ignoring people on any other web site but this one, when it comes to questions of cast boolit performance. The others work off of old wives tales, and mis-information. When some one says something here, they better be able to back it up, or there will be a hundred uncles correcting us!

pls1911
03-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Amen to the wisdom stated above...
Choose a heavy cast boolet with a flat nose or large meplat, use Lyman #2 or harder, shoot at reasonable ranges. The effectiveness of deep penetration, coupled with a HUGE slap factor of flat points simply cannot be understated.

This kind of performance history is one reason why the Ranch Dog profiles are so popular.
Out to 100-150 yards my experience is that with proper shot placement, the easy shooting 30-30 performance on hogs is indistinguishable from an '06 or .308.
Heck ... A similarly stoked .35 Remington is almost over kill!

ammohead
03-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Huntsman, either will work as well or better than any jacketed premium bullet you can buy.
I would suggest ignoring people on any other web site but this one, when it comes to questions of cast boolit performance. The others work off of old wives tales, and mis-information. When some one says something here, they better be able to back it up, or there will be a hundred uncles correcting us!

Seen any buffalo lately?

ammohead

KCSO
03-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Here's what a flat nose wound channel really looks like. This is from a 30-40 Krag bullet at 1950 fps. The deer was hit running at about 60 yards and was a one shot kill. I would like to show you the expanded bullet but so far the 11 deer I have shot with this load have all been in one side and out the other, even the one hit in the brisket and out the ribs in front of the hip.

I would suggest your fellow on the other forum need to wipe the corner of thier mouths, there's still a little BS clinging.

Beerd
03-19-2010, 01:52 PM
yup, you'r going to push hair & tissue into some poor animal and make it dead.
go for it.

stubshaft
03-20-2010, 01:11 AM
That .452" Lee 300gr boolit works great on Hogs as well as the 50cal improved Minie. I have used both of them and can't remember;

A) Needing a second shot.

B) Recovering a boolit.

Now truth be told I am an old bowhunter and usually take my shots at between 15 and 25 yds. But they kill as dead as dead can be.

Corbi
03-20-2010, 07:32 AM
My 54 pushes hair into the wound channel. The deer always die, most drop in place. LOL I use the Remington HPHB game master conicals. I think there is hair in all wound channels, you just get more with a big bore.

I cut trim the meat around the wound channel anyway. Hair is no big deal as that meat gets thrown out anyway.

Corbi

BOOM BOOM
03-20-2010, 03:46 PM
HI,
LEAD BULLETS HAVE KILLED MORE GAME THAN JACKED.
Pb were the 1st shot, & only ones shot for 200+ yrs.
Soft Pb round nose will expand.
Flat noze kill, & don"t need expansion in .35 & up.

stubshaft
03-21-2010, 06:54 PM
This is from last evening. A RD 425gr boolit out of my 45/70:

richhodg66
03-21-2010, 10:53 PM
I've used the Lyman Plains bullet in my muzzle loader on seven deer now and that big, flat nose transfers energy very well. I've only ever recovered one bullet, it went through high in the shoulders breaking a lot pf bone and lodged under the skin on the far side of a large Kansas buck. You couldn't ask for a more perfect mushroom, it expanded all the way to the base, the thing looks like a lead half dollar.

I also shot one with a .54 caliber TC Maxi Hunter mold I have. This one has a little divot hollow point and blew out both lungs on a buck like no centerfire rifle I've ever used.

GLynn41
03-22-2010, 10:11 AM
on smaller cal like the .41 mag -- a 255 long wide nose(.33) left 1+" in and out the lungs were blown up like a rifle hit --range about 40 yards one deer and 30 on the other deer - mv was 1340-- the caliber is a 41/.44

Huntsman
03-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Right on, good comments. I was going to use them anyways but just wanted a second opinion. The Improved Minie was for a .50cal I no longer have and the 300gr .452 was going to be shot from my Encore 209x50 but I could'nt get dependable groups, I will however be shooting Lee REAL boolits form my .54

Blammer
03-27-2010, 04:56 PM
yea, forget the other place's "information" it's just ole wives tales as stated earlier.

both of your choices will be very good for game.

jlchucker
03-27-2010, 07:37 PM
I don't know any ole wives dumb enough to provide such "information" to the other place. I was just looking at one of those other websites and they were whining over there about components (rifle bullets) being impossible to get. Not here! We've got stashes of lead, piles of wheelweights, and pretty much every mold ever created. We've also got a good supply of boolits already cast up and can cast some more. Taking everybody here into consideration, our gus have used cast boolits on just about every sort of game animal on this planet. Once we're done hunting game we can go over to the other place and watch those guys search around for j-word bullets, just for grins.

DLCTEX
03-28-2010, 10:33 AM
One of our members had a flatnose boolit penetrate 48" of bison, including bones, from a pistol! The only deer I have taken with cast was shot with a FN boolit and was a pass through the boiler room.

10 ga
03-29-2010, 11:38 PM
Both boolits are a good choice. I've shot a lot of minie boolits and they are very dependable. Unless you are trying a Texas heart shot on one of those 400 # Alberta bucks you'll not likely recover any boolits. You'll have 45 and 50 cal or bigger wound channels, then it's just how long are they. I've killed piles of deer and other critters, and seen plenty more kilt. Mostly with MLs. Flat nose boolits are SOP. 10 ga

Drew_CarreyAB
04-13-2010, 04:47 PM
I have yet to harvest an animal with my MZ yet :( . But I do have the tools LOL I use a .457 cast FN sized down to .451 and then I weigh them out to within 2-3 grains of each other. They weigh in at/around 465gr and are killers on the gongs out to 200yds. As for powder, I use T7 around 95-110gr....I wish I could find the pics of the targets of before and after I started weighing everything(bullets/powders). I actually throw 5 charges, then weigh them on the digital....The groups went around an inch with a flyer but two of the three were touching lol......Huntsman, I can send you some if you'd like........I cast my MZ stuff with pure lead......PM me if you would like some....

tcrocker
04-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Here's a pic of a buck white tail deer I took with a 464gr flat nose cast bullet with a nose dia of .35
http://http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/crockerthomas/P1000320.jpg

tcrocker
04-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Here's a bore hog I took with one shot with my 45-70 with above post round.
http://http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/crockerthomas/P1000404.jpg

JSimpson65
04-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Since we're posting hog pictures, here's my contribution. Taken with a 45/70, 405gr. flat nose. Boolit went clean through both shoulders leaving about an inch diameter entry and exit. Couldn't have asked for better performance. Hog jumped at the shot and was down within 10 yards.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/JSimpson65/Firearms/100_2375.jpg