PDA

View Full Version : Slightly burned my fingers on eBay - red 'dot' scope

Tokarev
03-18-2010, 11:20 PM
This the most expensive piece of aluminum extrusion I owned.
If you see this - stay away!

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/7/1/6/5/1/9/webimg/313828056_tp.jpg

Instead of 5 gradations each of red and green dot, all you are getting is an oddly shaped spot size of about 20 MOA, which looks like a kidney or a newborn baby with umbilical cord. Brightness does not change, but you are getting more or less peripheral glow by turning the knob.

Surprisingly, NC-Star red dot sights which cost about the same locally, perform much better.

Also, you can see 'Walther' engraving on the base. I could not determine whether it's a counterfeit item, or they are an OEM for Walther.

steg
03-22-2010, 09:40 PM
I picked up a lazeraim Illusion, actually it was a present from my wife for christmas, anyway when I first got it, it had a sharp dot and now it's more like what part of the Milky-Way do you want to use as an aiming point, for years I blamed the scope, til one day my son was looking through it,and I asked him what the dot looked like to him, and he said a clear sharp red dot, boy do I miss my 20-15 vision, LOL, the scope is fine, at least 15 years old and the same battery!.....................steg

leftiye
03-22-2010, 11:13 PM
I've got two red dots (one scope, one holographic) with goofy dots - UNTIL I put my glasses on! Actually, I'd guess that all dots look goofy to anyone with astigmatism. Just a possibility. P.S. I passed that one up for a Bushnell. Look up "Scope Stop" on Evil Bay.

PatMarlin
03-24-2010, 02:35 AM
This the most expensive piece of aluminum extrusion I owned.
If you see this - stay away!

Also, you can see 'Walther' engraving on the base. I could not determine whether it's a counterfeit item, or they are an OEM for Walther.

Has Asian "knock off" written all over it.

archmaker
04-09-2010, 04:27 PM
I think that is BB gun "scope", I know you can go to some of the high end BB gun sites and find the Walther red dot scopes.

Tokarev
04-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Using another no-name red dot bought locally - it has sharp 4 MOA red dot. It's a lottery :(

Tokarev
05-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Disassembled the sight. Now it's clear what was wrong with it. In the LED sights light from the diode passes thru a small mirror like glass, which has a tiny hole left in the metal layer. That hole is supposed to shape the 'dot'. In this particular sight the hole had a rough shape which produced a fetus like 'dot'.
What's even worse, the plastic housing of that glass and LED were held in place by electric tape. It seems to me that the sight was made of parts, stolen from Walter OEM and assembled in someone's kitchen. What an absolute disgrace.

Southern Son
05-29-2010, 08:38 PM
We are getting a lot of these cheap/junk red dot scopes over here. There is one that is an exact replica of the Aimpoint that everyone in the US like to put on their AR, another that is pretty much an exact replica of the Bushnell Holosight. But when you turn them on, like you said, the dot doesn't grow brighter as you wind the power knob, it just gets more glare inside the scope, or changes shape.

I bought a Tasco PDP3 about 16 years ago for my 686 S&W. Other than the dot not getting as bright as it used to, it is still going strong.