PDA

View Full Version : 358318 bullet in the Whelen,finally!

jhalcott
07-03-2006, 05:49 PM
I pulled some bullets from whelen ammo that was left from my last range trip. I re seated some to an overall length of 3.250" .The powder charge was 44 grains of Varget. I used LLA on some others. The LLA bullets went under 2 inches at 50 yards. I then shot a 2 liter soda bottle at 100 yards,hitting it twice with 2 shots!
I could see where the rifling was scratching the LLA off on the longer rounds. The old loads were 3.200". The reseated non LLA bullets were NOT as accurate as the LLA ones.Sorry felix(they were lubed with FWFL)

jhalcott
07-06-2006, 07:06 PM
today at the range I shot 3 shots into a 2 inch group at 100 yards with the Whelen using the 358318 over 44 grains of Varget and a WLR primer. Then I shot several shots at a gallon milk jug hanging next to the target!!?? I could NOT see any reaction to a hit. I went back to the paper and put a 4th shot into the 2" group.I grabbed my 22-250 in frustration and exploded the jug! I had some detergent bottles handy. I filled a few with water and hung them on the rail.The cap blew off the first one but that's all .On the second shot I saw soap foam dripping down the bottle thru the spotting scope. I shot 1 shot at each of the remaining jugs then went for a look see! I HAD hit each jug,but there was only a small hole in and out.Now for some wet newsprint and a chronograph.NO ,I do not INTEND to shoot my chrono.I am getting to know how some of you think!:-D

drinks
07-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Ussens?;D