PDA

View Full Version : Stock treating (in hard to get places)

Blazin
03-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Do any of you treat your rifle stock in all the places the factory neglects, like under the buttplate and where it contacts the action?

MtGun44
03-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Yes, I varnished my Ruger 77 stock in the barrel channel and under the buttplate so it would
be stable over the long term at the time when I glass bedded it, many years ago.

Bill

runfiverun
03-18-2010, 10:21 PM
my hunting rifles i will definately go through the entire stock and coat it.
if i know it's gonna be bad i have a couple of synthetic stainless rifles that go to wait it out with.

Gunfixer
03-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Every gun I do a job on (glass bed, recoil pad, refinish, etc) all get completely coated. No boomerangs in 20 yrs.

stubshaft
03-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Every gun I hunt with is sealed completely. If I am going out and anticipate rain I will in some cases apply additional coats of paste wax to the barrel channel and hidden recesses.

captaint
03-19-2010, 01:22 AM
Stub - Paste wax is actually a very good product to use. And on the metal too!! enjoy Mike

Blazin
03-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Hmmm, maybe I'll try the wax. What else are you guys using? Linseed oil?

44man
03-19-2010, 09:22 AM
After I finished a muzzle loader stock I would put the butt in a can of Woodlife and soak it. After it dried I would apply the finish. I use Tru Oil and it goes everywhere to soak in.
On flint locks I put paste wax in the barrel channel and squeeze the barrel in. That keeps water from running down the channel into the pan.
Wax is great!
Water can ruin a stock fast but I don't like straight linseed oil but it is better then nothing.

nicholst55
03-19-2010, 09:20 PM
I started sealing all the unseen areas on rifle stocks years ago. I've used various products to do the job, and all have worked at least reasonably well.

I too heavily was the barrel channel on my flinchlocks to prevent water running down into the pan.