PDA

View Full Version : Ranchdog molds, good quality?

haven't got a clue
03-17-2010, 11:26 PM
I've been casting for some time now and collected a few molds over the years (mostly LBT and Lyman). Just latley I've started casting for my assortment of 30 cal. I was just wondering if any of you guys have had any experiance with these Ranchdog molds, and can you size the micro-band projectiles in a RCBS luber/sizer? Assuming that I'm not trying to size them down to far. The price seems a little lite for a quality product, are they a "good find" or will I get what I pay for?
Thanks,
Bill

BCall
03-17-2010, 11:31 PM
RanchDog has his molds cut by Lee. The six cavity molds are great in my opinion, and for the price I can work with the 2 cavity ones. I use a number of RD's designs and really like them all. The ones I am currently working with are for the 25 and 32 acp. His 311-165 rifle boolit is my favorite to use in 30-30. You can run them in a lubrisizer, I know some other members do, but I tumble lube mine, size in a Lee push through. They work great. If you get in on his current 6 cavity group buys, they are great molds. JMHO, Billy

DLCTEX
03-18-2010, 07:27 AM
I tumble lube and shoot as cast. I have RD moulds in 460-350 and 460-420. The moulds are designed to drop as cast to a size that shoots best. If you want to lube with something that doesn't tumble well, then an oversize die will lube them.

Screwbolts
03-18-2010, 08:10 AM
I believe that you would get all the quality that comes with a Lee mold. Ranch Dog is a fine upstanding Gent! IMHO the Quality of the mold is out of his control by having Lee make them.

Ken

HORNET
03-18-2010, 09:12 AM
A while back, Ranch Dog was measuring the cavities and casting samples from each batch of molds that he received and sending back ones that didn't meet his specifications. The molds that he shipped to customers were the ones that did meet spec so the quality was somewhat better than the normal from Lee. That's how so many of his designs ended up in the clearance section on Lee's website.

Potsy
03-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Did I read here that Ranch Dog was no longer handling molds but they were still available on special order from Lee?
I kinda want a 460-420. I've got a 460-425 and my #1 loves it. Gotta trim the brass back a little though. At least that's how I do it.
As far as 'haven't got a clue's' question, yes they'll work fine in a RCBS sizer. I run mine through a Lyman .459 and never had a problem.
I've also played with running them through a Lee .452 sizer screwed into my Rock Chucker. Makes a neat looking boolit but takes considerable effort and your lube grooves disappear.

JIMinPHX
03-18-2010, 03:31 PM
I've been running tumble lube boolits through a lubrisizer for a while now. It works fine as long as you don't need to take the diameter down too far. Once you take more take about .003" off the diameter, you loose a significant portion of the lube capacity.

stubshaft
03-18-2010, 08:42 PM
A while back, Ranch Dog was measuring the cavities and casting samples from each batch of molds that he received and sending back ones that didn't meet his specifications. The molds that he shipped to customers were the ones that did meet spec so the quality was somewhat better than the normal from Lee. That's how so many of his designs ended up in the clearance section on Lee's website.

+1 - Genuine RD moulds although made by Lee were manufactured to exacting standards. In at least 2 cases the entire lot was returned and remade by Lee. These were sold in their clearance section IIRC one was a 44 cal and the other was a 45 cal. I usually TL and shoot as cast.

haven't got a clue
03-19-2010, 02:43 PM
I took a gamble and orderd one. I'll let you know how it turns out for me. Thanks for the input.
Bill

pls1911
03-20-2010, 10:39 PM
From any perspective, molds are an investment worth doing right.
Ranch dog profiles are available from NOE via group buys from this website.
I have origenal RDs in several calibers, and they're great.... but no longer available.

NOE offers Ranch dog bullet profiles with standard lube grooves with either gas checked or plain bases.
I also have two sets of 6 holers from NOE, with the 165 grain .30 cal Ranch Dog flat point profile.... I don't need to cast these often, as a big pile of bullets come pretty quickly with both molds moving at full tilt. Did I say really Big piles??
Quality of materials and workmanship at NOE is a good cut above Lee, and the price is higher, but worth every penny.
If you have problem, these men make it right.

btroj
03-20-2010, 11:23 PM
I have the 460350, 460425, and 311165 RD molds. All three have met deer that were not happy about the encounter. I also have the 311165 NOE version.
All the RD bullets seem to shoot very well. I size mine in my Star sizer with no trouble.
Try one of these moulds from either Ranchdog himself or the NOE version- you won't be disappointed.

haven't got a clue
03-20-2010, 11:56 PM
I've never heard of NOE till just now. Dang, I think I would rather have had traditional style lube grooves, but what the heck It's something new to mess arround with. If they don't work out for me I'll just trade them to someone who wants them. Again, Thanks for the feedback.
Bill

Hurricane
03-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Check out the Ranch Dog Mold site. Currently he is running a group buys on 30 caliber which closes on March 31,2010. In April it will be 35 caliber followed in May by 22 and 45 caliber. He also has 32 Win Spl molds in inventory.

Also on the Active Buy site on Cast Boolits, group buys are taking orders for 30 and 35 caliber Ranch Dog style boolits but with regular lube grooves and HP if you want it.