PDA

View Full Version : Lubing problem

DWM
03-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Just start to cast with a Lyman mould in 9 mm 147 gr tapered / bevel base , bullets are great , and the problem start when I try to lube in a Lyman 450 sizing lubing press , then the lube fills the bevel base .... no matter the pressure of the lube I get a lubed boatail , and if I don't clean it I get a lubed chamber after 10 rounds and it's not possible to chamber a round , accuracy excellent with 4 gr of VV340 , my question how to lube the groove on the bullet and not the bevel base.....????

thank you in advance

Daniel

MT Chambers
03-17-2010, 05:56 PM
There is a way to plug holes on the die like a Star but I haven't figured it out yet, that would allow lube only in the groove. In the meantime, I would use a gas check under the bullet(.35 Cal.), if I remember back to my "pre-Star" days, the check stays in place in the die when you remove the sized/lubed bullet.

03-17-2010, 07:12 PM
One reason why I don't like a bevel base boolit. I just wipe the lube off.

HORNET
03-17-2010, 07:25 PM
The usual recommendation is for using a disc of the styrofoam from a meat packing tray (cleaned first) under the boolit. Stick it down on the ejection punch with a little lube and it'll usually stay in place. It'll squish down in the middle and fill most of the bevel to keep lube out. Th price is right and it works. If it come out, make a new one and keep going. A few members ave made ejection punches that were counter-bored and chamfered to fit the boolit base more precisely, whatever pops your cork.

Rockchucker
03-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Good post Hornet, I gotta remember that tip/ Thanks

DWM
03-18-2010, 04:53 AM
Hi Hornet

Thank you , with this idea I'll machine a disc cup in brass to fit tight on the base of the bullet to keep it in place in the sizer , hope this not let the lube enter in the base , don't want to wipe each one by hand ...

Thank you

Daniel

stubshaft
03-18-2010, 05:19 AM
Hi Hornet

Thank you , with this idea I'll machine a disc cup in brass to fit tight on the base of the bullet to keep it in place in the sizer , hope this not let the lube enter in the base , don't want to wipe each one by hand ...

Thank you

Daniel

You could also machine a new base punch with a cup in the end. That way you wouldn't have to worry about the cup coming loose and loob getting onto the boolit base.

armyrat1970
03-18-2010, 08:06 AM
One reason why I don't like a bevel base boolit. I just wipe the lube off.

Seems simple to me.

HORNET
03-18-2010, 09:28 AM
I stole the foam disc idea from Bullshop...a couple of years ago, statute of limitations has expired on it.