PDA

View Full Version : New to shotgun loading need advice on buckshot

shooter1970
03-17-2010, 04:59 PM
I have a lee .311 round ball mold this is between #1 and 0 buck,I have red aa hulls and several powders to work with can anyone help me with load data and any tips or tricks to getting good results with buckshot.thanks guys

parrott1969
03-17-2010, 07:45 PM
I have just started reloading for the scattergun myself, so this is just my opinion but weigh your pellets and figure out how many you need to achieve 1 1/4 ounce and then use the load data for that weight. (you should be able to load for 1 1/8 or whatever. All my research says that shotguns are loaded via weight. If it were me i would try 37.5 grains of blue dot and a 1 1/4 ounce load. Or 1 1/2 ounce of shot over 33 grains of blue dot.

remla75
03-18-2010, 09:49 PM
get a book it is safer I know cost to much but what is a hand worth what sise you loading for what kind of wads you got and what kind of shells you uesing i gat a lee book I'll chec it for ya

northmn
03-19-2010, 01:31 PM
As to casting the buckshot itself, I would consider using hardcast lead or if wheelweight I would water drop them. Hard pellets pattern better than soft ones. this is if you want a tight pattern. There is special data in my Lyman shotshell loading catalog for buckshot so I would not want to just match a load. Some sizes work better than others. 00 for instance stacks 3 to a stack. To get a rally tight pattern there are buffers also.

Northmn

Shooter6br
03-19-2010, 01:45 PM
I have cast lyman 12 ga sabot and load buckshot #1 i use standard 1 1/4 powder loads To me no problem(with the buckshot)

Ferdinand
03-24-2010, 10:50 PM
I'm a fan of BPI manuals and other sources of BK data. Standard wads do not pattern consistently or well for me. BK loads are very different from birdshot. In general, I get great results with a shot cup like BP12 over a gas seal BPGS, with appropriate wads/cards and shot buffer.

DLCTEX
03-26-2010, 07:46 PM
This load from Lyman's shotshell handbook is what I use loading .311 balls in a AA hull, WAA12R wad, 12 pellets, SR 7625-26 gr.

Greg5278
03-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Buckshot requires different loading techniques than bridshot. Usually the wad is replaced by a gas seal, and fillers for light Buck loads, and a heavy non cushion wad for more capacity.
The BPI manual s a great starting source for info, but is a bit high on the velocity tests.
You would be better off starting with another Hulll other than the Win AA. They are tapered, and ccause gas seal problems, and load fitment issues. Straight wall huulld such as the Fiocchi, and Cheddite are better,a nd easier to load.
The stanard seal is an X12X from BPI or the BPGS. I use the X12X, as it never fails on me, the BPGS has done so on many occasions. The extra space in the hulls is filled with cork wads, wool wads, and and maybe a nitro card if needed. The cushioning of the Cork and wool under the shot helps keep them from deforming.

When casting the Buckshot, I would use WW with .5 to 2% Tin added for Mold fill. Once the sprues are snipped, you can heat treat the balls for additional hardness. Make sure your oven is close to temp, put a few balls on a tray and put the oven at 425-450F for 1 hour. Hopefully they don't slump on you, if so drop them in a 5 gal of cold water. Remove them, and dry. You can let them sit for a few days, or load right away. That should eb a good start for you. Bucjkshot can be very finicky, and frustrating. One load is great in one gun, and horrible in eveything else.
Good luck.
Greg

cratergrease
03-27-2010, 02:47 PM
I've been loading shot shells and slugs for a few years and buckshot for just the past few months, so please remember this load works for "me" !! .
A few mouths ago I bought a "DO-IT " sling shot pellet mold one side casts 1/10 oz(11) the other side is 1/6oz (9) The pellets are not perfectly round, and there isn't a spru plate, I twist mine off w/ needle nose plyers. 12 pellets ave 1 1/8 oz, and each mic between .305-.316 W/ #2 alloy
That said, I'm using 2.75" Win "universal" hulls, Win 209 primers, 34 gr. Blue dot. Win WAA12R shot cups, after stacking 12 pellets I add 3.4 cc white corn meal as a buffer (tap the hull to settle in until just the top of the top 3 pellets are exposed) cover w/ .03 OS card and fold crimp.
These shoot very well form my 835 Mossberg with an imp. cyl choke all 12 pellets stay in a 14" pattern at 30 yrds.
I'm lucky enough to have one of the RCBS 12 ga. die sets for use in a rock chucker, it works great for loading slugs as well as any load you just wish to make a few of
Please remeber this load works for me, use it at your own risk.
:castmine: