PDA

View Full Version : Been fishin'

Gussy
03-17-2010, 11:55 AM
We went walleye fishing. Caught 8 and 1 large perch.......BUT also caught 5 large cats by accident. I kept 2 cats (7 pounders) and threw the rest back.

I know how I like the wallys but I'm not up on best way to cook a cat.

I skined them and filleted off some nice clean chunks of meat.

Now what???????
Gus

MT Gianni
03-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Make sure any dark meat [mud vein] is gone and bake, grill or fry it with pepper and lemon.

Bullshop
03-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Hay Gussy, Hows it going down there?
When we were in Fairview we cought lots of channel cats from the Missouri. They are real greasy and the first one we cooked were not very good. Then I found that if I either boiled them a little bit or microwaved them a little bit first they were excellent.
The pre cooking was to get most of the fat out.
When we used the microwave we would wrap the fillets in paper towels to absorb the grease that cooks out. Then we would cook to our liking by battering and frying or whatever you like. That is what made them good for us. They wont be as good as them walleyes but good none the less.
BIC/BS

SPRINGFIELDM141972
03-17-2010, 04:25 PM
The best way that I found to deal with the muddy taste that sometimes is associated with catfish is to keep the catfish alive and, when you get back home, put them a large tank of tap/rain water for a few days. I use a kiddy pool. A few days of being in the pool cleans them out nicely. The dark meat that Mt Gianni spoke of will all but go away. The second thing is slice the catfish fillets the same thickens from one end to the other.

Theres alot things folks do down here in Louisiana that I dont understand, but one thing I can ensure you... They know how to clean and cook a catfish.

Regards,
Everett

Gussy
03-17-2010, 08:00 PM
I'm going to give the suggestions a try in the next day or two when the wallys are all gone. I don't think I could keep the cats alive. We were fishing about 75-80' deep. They seem to gets the bends when pulled up and kept up for very long.
Thanks,
Gus

Gussy
03-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Hay Gussy, Hows it going down there?
When we were in Fairview we cought lots of channel cats from the Missouri. They are real greasy and the first one we cooked were not very good. Then I found that if I either boiled them a little bit or microwaved them a little bit first they were excellent.
The pre cooking was to get most of the fat out.
When we used the microwave we would wrap the fillets in paper towels to absorb the grease that cooks out. Then we would cook to our liking by battering and frying or whatever you like. That is what made them good for us. They wont be as good as them walleyes but good none the less.
BIC/BS

That did work well (micro). Might have overdone the time. I'll give another batch a try tonight!! Last night I fried after the micro. Tonight I'll batter some. Next, broil.

They were actually quite good with a VERY mild flavor. Looks like I'll be keeping more of them!!
Thanks,
Gus

dk17hmr
03-20-2010, 07:40 PM
I worked in a cabinet shop for awhile starting when I was in college and for about a year after I graduated. On the property the boss had dug a pond, they put catfish in because they got a good deal on several hundred small ones. All the fish got to about 18" about 2 or 3 pounds because that was what the pond would handle. The boss never fished and kept them because he didnt know how to clean them. On day at lunch I went out and caught 2 of them cleaned them on the tailgate of my truck (with an audience), cooked them on the grill wrap in aluminum foil, with butter, and spicy vegetables....I got maybe 2 bites worth of catfish. After that the catfish population started to decrease.

MT Gianni
03-20-2010, 08:49 PM
If they are bigger cats they have cheek meat like a halibut. Better eaten than throw away.

pmeisel
03-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Smaller ones, I like to pan fry in butter just like I would perch or panfish......

trapperP
03-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Man, you are going to entirely too much trouble here! Take those fillets, slice them into 'chips' - I like them no more than 1/4 to 3/8" thick - Take a tube or sleeve of Ritz crackers and put them in heavy plastic bag. Take a rolling pin or a heavy bottle and crush the crackers, add fresh ground black pepper, cayenne or red pepper flakes to taste, put the chiops in the bag, give a shake or three and then GENTLY slide the fish into peanut oil, 365-375 degrees. Don't load in too many at a time or your grease will go cold, and don't over cook, when they 'float' up to the top, stir them one time, then take them out. Blot the chips on paper towels or clean newspaper even, let it cool so you don't burn your fingers and dig in!
I really like this with cole slaw, fried potatoes and hush puppies. I'll even give you my recipe for the hushpuppies if anyone wants it.
Oh, if you think you have too much fish give me a call and I'll come on over if I can!

waksupi
03-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Man, you are going to entirely too much trouble here! Take those fillets, slice them into 'chips' - I like them no more than 1/4 to 3/8" thick - Take a tube or sleeve of Ritz crackers and put them in heavy plastic bag. Take a rolling pin or a heavy bottle and crush the crackers, add fresh ground black pepper, cayenne or red pepper flakes to taste, put the chiops in the bag, give a shake or three and then GENTLY slide the fish into peanut oil, 365-375 degrees. Don't load in too many at a time or your grease will go cold, and don't over cook, when they 'float' up to the top, stir them one time, then take them out. Blot the chips on paper towels or clean newspaper even, let it cool so you don't burn your fingers and dig in!
I really like this with cole slaw, fried potatoes and hush puppies. I'll even give you my recipe for the hushpuppies if anyone wants it.
Oh, if you think you have too much fish give me a call and I'll come on over if I can!

You just made me hungry! Please post your hush puppy recipe in the recipe area, I'm sure we will give them a try!

frankenfab
03-29-2010, 10:39 PM
There's different kinds of Catfish, Y'all. If they are blue/white hybrid or channel as commonly raised in ponds (the cheap stock fish, but steryl) you ain't gotta do anything but fillet them and fry. The 2.5 3.5 pounders are perfect. Thot's whot they serve in them Catfish Resteriunts. I always pick out the small to medium sized pieces.

Channel cat , and small-to-medium size flathead out of the rivers are also good. The only ones that have the muddy, fish-fat taste are the mud cats which are brown/yellow looking, and the very large specimens of any species. As already advised, cut the fish fat out.

Didn't mean to rant, I just love good catfish.....