PDA

View Full Version : Scratched Star Sizer Die

FISH4BUGS
03-16-2010, 06:43 PM
I have a Star Sizer Die in 358 that appears to have a small scratch inside. When you run a bullet through it the scratch can be seen on the driving bands of the bullet.
Will there be any effect on the bullet if I use this die? Leading? I'd hate to size 3000 358156's and find out I shouldn't have.
Thanks
Donald in NH

cbrick
03-16-2010, 07:08 PM
I would simply hone it out with as fine a emery paper that you can get. It should take very little to remove it and you should be able to do this without enlarging the die.

Rick

Ford SD
03-16-2010, 07:27 PM
have you take die apart and cleaned it looking for what is causing the mark?

hammerhead357
03-16-2010, 09:02 PM
There might be something stuck on the inside of the die. But if not follow cbricks advice...Wes

FISH4BUGS
03-17-2010, 06:40 AM
have you take die apart and cleaned it looking for what is causing the mark?

...............that I accidentally scratched it with a metal dental pick when I was trying to remove the shot.

hammerhead357
03-17-2010, 04:34 PM
I hate it when that happens. That is the reason I use a small drill bit turned by hand to lift out the shot. The drill bit just needs to fit into the hole where the shot sits. Don't get it to small...Wes

Fixxah
03-17-2010, 04:42 PM
lathesmith can fix it or make you a new one. I don't care for Magma Engineering's one die fits all approach. The shot always seems to leak lube anyway.

cbrick
03-17-2010, 05:09 PM
I hate it when that happens. That is the reason I use a small drill bit turned by hand to lift out the shot. The drill bit just needs to fit into the hole where the shot sits. Don't get it to small...Wes

Precisely! While I use an electric drill it turns very slowly, tip of the bit only needs to go into the shot about half way then stop the drill and pull it out, the lead shot is on the end of the drill bit. Nothing except lead boolits ever go into the middle of any of my sizer dies. Period.

lathesmith can fix it or make you a new one. I don't care for Magma Engineering's one die fits all approach. The shot always seems to leak lube anyway.

If you mean multiple rows of lube holes that is the only way I will buy a die. If you buy a die for a particular boolit with one lube groove and later on get another boolit with 3 lube groove . . . you have two choices, size/lube it 3 times or double your investment in dies. Let's say you have a three lube groove boolit and the correct die to lube it and now you get a new mold in that caliber that has one lube groove . . . Are you going to plug the holes or buy a new die of the same diameter?

Leak? I have 30+ Star dies covering many calibers and have yet had one leak any lube. Perhaps you are using the wrong size shot or are not fully getting it into the hole or maybe using too much lube pressure? Dunno, shouldn't leak, mine don't.

Rick

Dale53
03-17-2010, 06:15 PM
I would get some "Crocus Cloth" careful use of this won't increase the die size by any appreciable amount but will merely polish the scratch out. You may even be able to find some Crocus cloth in your home builders supply.

Then slit a dowel rod of the appropriate size, slip an inch wide piece of crocus cloth (after having chucked the dowel in an electric drill and keep it moving as you polish). Remember to "LOOK a LOT and Spin a LITTLE).

Dale53

cbrick
03-17-2010, 06:49 PM
I picked up a used .430" die a few years ago and this is what the first few bullets through it looked like. No wonder it was such a good deal. Actually it was, I rolled a strip of emory paper into a tube and slid it back and forth several times. No pressure, no drill and it now works perfectly and leaves no marks on the boolit. Whatever it was didn't take a lot to get rid of.

Rick

EDK
03-18-2010, 08:09 PM
I had the same problem with a .452 die in my STAR. Mine had a small piece of lead that was pushed into the die by the lube pressure. Check the holes that are supposed to be open with an awl or ? to make sure they are clear.

Even after 20 years, I'm constantly learning...and tinkering....with my STAR. If you like to play with your equipment, the STAR is a great toy. It's kinda like playing with the computer...it does exactly what you tell it to; not necessarily what you want it to! BUT once you get it adjusted properly, it is mass production time

:redneck: :cbpour::Fire:

Humbo
03-20-2010, 06:33 AM
I also had this problem with one of my Star dies. It was caused by burrs in one of the lube holes, it was an easy fix.

KYCaster
03-20-2010, 03:22 PM
I also had this problem with one of my Star dies. It was caused by burrs in one of the lube holes, it was an easy fix.

Same here.

Jerry

thebigmac
03-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Whenever working on Star sizer dies, REMEMBER THE LUBE HOLES ARE DOUBLE DRILLED. I found that out a long time ago. Pushed the awl through and chipped the inside of the die. Had to junk it and get a new one,,,