PDA

View Full Version : Non lead Stick Ons?

snake river marksman
03-16-2010, 10:35 AM
This past weekend I smelted my first batch of Stick On wheel weights. I had been laboring under the impression that ALL stick ons were pure lead. Apparently that isn't the case because I had several that floated to the top and I had to skim them off with the rest of the trash. Now I'm wondering if I really have any pure lead or if some of those that melted down were just regular wheel weight material.
Any thoughts?

Down South
03-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Some stick-ons are steel and others are the dreaded zinc. By far most of the stick-ons are pure lead.

03-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Even Wyoming is going the way of the lead wheel weight ban, huh?

There are many different sizes and shapes of zinc and steel stick-on weights. The latest I've seen are steel, square in shape, and nice and shiney like chrome.

high standard 40
03-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Even among the lead stick-on weights, not all are pure lead. I hope to take some pictures and post them here in the next day or two of some of the different stick-on weights I am finding.

bootsnthejeep
03-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I see quite a few zinc stickons in my scavenged stuff, not as many steel, but they're there. They're pretty easy to spot tho. I've taken to going thru the whole bucket and sorting by hand. Takes longer, but I don't want any contamination.

44fanatic
03-16-2010, 03:18 PM
I just went through a 160lb bucket and came across plenty of steel and zinc stickons. Good thing is, they stand out allot more clearly than the standard zinc WW's.

chris in va
03-16-2010, 03:43 PM
I had my Maxima in for a balance at Costco the other day. They use 'Fe' stick-on wheelweights. I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more of these as high performance FWD cars have alloy wheels that aren't compatible with the old clip on versions, and lead is being phased out.

Rex
03-16-2010, 03:44 PM
I've gotten parinoid enough that I pinch every wheel weight with a pair of side cutters before I drop it in the "melt Bucket".
Rex

Greenhorn44
03-16-2010, 08:43 PM
~i pinch them too. can never be to careful when you got alloy on the line. also got a magnet on a string round my neck.

evan price
03-17-2010, 05:53 AM
Most of the nonlead stickons are obviously not lead. Anything that doesn't look like tape-weight style stickons gets put to the side. Any of those that do not obviously appear to be Zn or Fe get the pliers test. I've been pleasantly surprised at the ones that turn out to be lead.

There are some 1/4 oz unit stick ons that look identical to the common 1/4 oz lead strip stickons, but they are iron painted silver. Fooled me once.

Southern Son
03-17-2010, 06:08 AM
I have not encountered any Zn stick on WW down under, but steel ones are everywhere.

sav300
03-17-2010, 06:23 AM
Southern Son,how many you want? Have a zinc ww with "Honda" moulded into the top.

rollmyown
03-17-2010, 10:15 AM
I am the lucky owner of a new MV Agusta motorbike. (v fast v tasty) The stick on WW's are 5 gm and say Sn. Sure would like a bunch of these! Anyone else seen tin stick ons?

Rob

Pystis
03-17-2010, 10:23 AM
FWIW, here in Finland the stick-on weigths can be anything from steel to almost pure soft lead including tin and zinc...
I pick the tin and zinc weights off and smelted the rest all together.
And those Tin ones even crackle when you bend them, like the pure Sn does!
When comparing the stick-on ingots to ingots that are smelted from indoor airgun range scrap, the stick-on ingots are significantly harder.

RodneyUSAF
03-17-2010, 11:19 AM
I am the lucky owner of a new MV Agusta motorbike. (v fast v tasty) The stick on WW's are 5 gm and say Sn. Sure would like a bunch of these! Anyone else seen tin stick ons?

Rob

I have a few of these now. I think they are Tin. I posted about them in the lead alloy section, and it was suggested that I check the melting point, but I don't have a thermometer.