PDA

View Full Version : Any one ever form 10.4X47Rmm

Dakoma
03-16-2010, 05:54 AM
Bought a old model 1890 Italian Vetterli Vitali it was sporterized for $60.00.The seller said that it would not stay cocked and sold it as a non shooter or for parts,well it came yesterday,I removed 2 screws and in 15 minutes had it working like a charm.The bore is perfect verry shiney and aparently it was sportered in Italy.The original stock was reshaped and wood enlays filled the sling swivel hole on the rear and up front where the cleaning rod used to be with old wood and had to be done years ago .Snabel tip on the forarm and it looks verry nice after I took fine steel wool to the metal and removed the crud and light rust.The problem is I can not find info about forming brass or what brass to use to form my cartridges.This rifle is just begging me to shoot it the bore is mirror brite no pits not dark just plain old shiney.The rifleing looks shallow to me but I dont know what one is suposed to look like.Bullets were lead or brass coated lead from what I did find on the web and the only ammo I did find was $17.00 a cartridge for collectors.A little help please,it is not going to become a wall hanger.This is not like the Swiss Vetterli it is centerfire and has a magazine that extends below the bolt.Some were bored and sleaved converting them to the 6.5X52 Carcano and they were just strong enough for that. Any help would be apreciated.Thanks Dakoma

Dakoma
03-16-2010, 07:13 AM
Found it ,the 348 Winchester same as the centerfire Swiss Vetterli except longer and bullet diameter is .430. Anyone know of a diferent cartridge brass that would also work would be helpful ?

45 2.1
03-16-2010, 07:54 AM
Found it ,the 348 Winchester same as the centerfire Swiss Vetterli except longer and bullet diameter is .430. Anyone know of a diferent cartridge brass that would also work would be helpful ?

I form it, but use the 348 brass. Grafs has 8mm Lebel brass (check the dimensions) that folks use and there is a longer sporting case with metric designations that is OK also. Good cartridge for cast shooting....enjoy.

JoeBrotch
03-23-2010, 12:21 AM
You can use 8mm Lebel brass but case lenth should be longer then nomal if your bore is .340 and your using 44 mag bullets, also neck wall is thinner.

I have a .434 bore M81 Vetterli and use .348 brass as the neck wall is thicker.

21 grains of IMR SR4759 or 23 grains of AA XMR5744

dubber123
03-23-2010, 04:19 AM
So you are saying this is the same as .41 Swiss? If so, a slugging may save you some headaches, as the specs are all over the map regarding bore/groove size. If it's the same as the Swiss, the Lebel brass worked great in my brothers gun, with a 310 gr. cast sized .432". SmokemJoe here on the forum has done alot of work with these, and was where I got the cases for the Swiss. My brothers is a good shooter, even with the not so good bore. http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83/dubber123/IMG_3054.jpg