PDA

View Full Version : Do I need vasoline

Greenhorn44
03-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Made me some lube. As I was getting ready I relized I couldnt find my vasoline.
I have already melted down my 1 pound of beeswax, and 1 pound of parrafin.

So this is what I did.

1 pound beeswax
1 pound paraffin wax
2 tbsp STP oil treatment
2 tbsp liquid alox
2 wax dye cubes 2x2x1 (colored wax)

Do you think this will be a sufficient boolit loob for 44 mag, or do I need to include the vsoline. It set up and is a fairly hard loob. I plan on pan loobing.

44fanatic
03-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Not a good question for some of this crew...LOL.

Still a noob so no real input.

Lead Fred
03-16-2010, 01:42 AM
without lard or crisco, petroleum jelly, it will be harder than most.

Good thing is they will knock out of the pan easy

stubshaft
03-16-2010, 01:58 AM
If it is too hard for your needs, add a little more STP.

Greenhorn44
03-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Not realy sure how hard I need it. How do I know if its to hard. Seems alittle softer than straight beeswax/parrafin
Im going to load um up in a Max powder charge.

Calamity Jake
03-16-2010, 08:51 AM
If it is too hard for your needs, add a little more STP.

+1 and a little more beeswax

I was given a lube formula back in 82 by a bullseye shooter that uses the same stuff as yours, he called it the 50/30/20 mix
50% beeswax/30% parrafin/20% STP

It works real good for pistol to about 1200

Hardcast416taylor
03-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Almost sounds like the formula for Saeco Green lube, except for the added alox.Robert

357maximum
03-16-2010, 05:24 PM
I am going to break your recipe down from MY PERSONAL perspective.

1 pound beeswaxGood so far)

1 pound paraffin waxoops ...I would cut that in half or double the beesswax

2 tbsp STP oil treatmentOk for lube, but vasoline adds "body" that the stp does not)....you really need to add some BODY in the form of the microwax contained in the vasoline....the mineral oil in the vasoline will add the slickies you seek and soften the lube the micro content of the vasoline adds the flex/body. IMHO 2TBLSP of STP in 2lbs of wax is NOT doing much.

2 tbsp liquid aloxAfter cooking off the mineral spirits you have enough actual lube component left to paint a few fingernails....maybe

2 wax dye cubes 2x2x1 (colored wax)If that was a good dye such as Yaley brand ..you have enough do 4-6 lbs of lube.

If I were going to try and make YOUR recipe better, friendlier to use, I would add more beeswax 1lb and one 7oz tub of vaseline(maybe a touch more).......any pharmacy/grocery store will have it. It is readily available. The vaseline will add body, slicki-ness, and soften the lube.

In all reality you can make a pretty good lube with just beeswax and vaseline in a 65%Bwax/35%vaseline mix(wetter with petrolatum in the north/drier in th south). It will do all but the most demanding of speeds provided there are no big hurdles in the chamber/bore and your boolit fits properly. I use that mix on all general handgun and lower velocity rifle rounds and on muzzleloader conicals. When I want to get mean and pretend my BOOLITS are j-words I switch over to MML which is my mix of soft microwax/cheap lithium grease and paraffin. The MML recipe is in the lube recipe sticky thread.

Good luck and remember the above is one mans opinions from about 6 years of lube folly and is worth slighlty barely more (I hope) than what you paid for it.:p

geargnasher
03-16-2010, 11:34 PM
Not realy sure how hard I need it. How do I know if its to hard. Seems alittle softer than straight beeswax/parrafin
Im going to load um up in a Max powder charge.

Anybody else see something wrong with this picture?

Gear

44fanatic
03-16-2010, 11:56 PM

Gear

Think they got drugs for that nowadays

geargnasher
03-17-2010, 12:04 AM
I know, it's called Kenelog, I receive peri-bulbar injections periodically in both eyes for Pars Planitis.

Guess you always start off with max loads in your .44 Magnum with components of unknown properties too, no?

Gear

buck1
03-17-2010, 12:18 AM
The good part about a lube that dosent work is that it makes good flux! LOL
I have used /made all sorts of wonder lubes. Most work to some degree. But 3 parts bees wax, 1 part lithium greese, and carnuba wax to harden leaves them all behind in my guns anyway. Handgun or rifle high or mild pressure Hot or cold weather.
Paraffin wax does not do so well in cold weather. Bees wax is *almost* a good lube by itself. They are very differnt from each other.
And rember when ever you change a part of your load , reduce your charge and crawl back up. .......Buck
Geargnasher beat me to it!

Greenhorn44
03-18-2010, 08:11 PM
why do you dislike parafin

buck1
03-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Its a microcristline (SPELL) wax. It hates cold weather. Also its hard to decribe but I will just say its a "DRY" wax. I put that poorly but Thats the general idea. Its the opsite of bees wax in this area. People who sew leather use bees wax to lube their needles. It has good lube and flow propertys all its own.
Anything can be made to work as a lube . Some wax+some oil based product will work to a degree. But if bees wax is the the wax used it will prob work even better. Carnuba wax is from the same family of bees wax Alcaholl chain molicule or something like that. But carnuba is very hard and brittle. If bees wax is the base Carnauba is a very good stiffener for it if needed.

canyon-ghost
03-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Felix World Famous Lube

Felix Lube formula

2 Tablespoons mineral oil
1 Tablespoon castor oil
1 Tablespoon Ivory, or homemade soap (grated)
1 Tablespoon Lanolin
Beeswax - Piece approximately 3 1/2" X 3 1/2" X 1 "

Heat mineral (baby) oil until it starts to smoke.

Add castor oil, and stir continuously for 1/2 hour.

Sliver the soap, and stir into the mixture a little at a time, until melted.

Add the beeswax before the lanolin, and then when that is melted, reduce or remove the heat and add the lanolin, thus not running any risk of burning or scorching the lanolin.

1 teaspoon of carnauba wax can be added to give a shiny bore. This can be found on the seal of Makers Mark whiskey, or the red wax on cheese from the supermarket.

Once made, let cool. This can be re-melted in a microwave, and poured into the lubrisizer.

geargnasher
03-20-2010, 01:16 AM
Felix World Famous Lube

Felix Lube formula

2 Tablespoons mineral oil
1 Tablespoon castor oil
1 Tablespoon Ivory, or homemade soap (grated)
1 Tablespoon Lanolin
Beeswax - Piece approximately 3 1/2" X 3 1/2" X 1 "

Heat mineral (baby) oil until it starts to smoke.

Add castor oil, and stir continuously for 1/2 hour.

Sliver the soap, and stir into the mixture a little at a time, until melted.

Add the beeswax before the lanolin, and then when that is melted, reduce or remove the heat and add the lanolin, thus not running any risk of burning or scorching the lanolin.

1 teaspoon of carnauba wax can be added to give a shiny bore. This can be found on the seal of Makers Mark whiskey, or the red wax on cheese from the supermarket.

Once made, let cool. This can be re-melted in a microwave, and poured into the lubrisizer.

Precisely. But most people are too lazy to make it or haven't shot enough cast to realize why they need to.

Gear

BLTsandwedge
03-22-2010, 03:20 PM

Gear

They're all huddled outside my office wondering what's so friggin' funny..............

steg
03-27-2010, 12:33 PM
At the grocery store yesterday to pick up some vaseline, finally found it in the baby stuff aisle, their were three jars left and I figgured what the heck, I'll stock up and took them all. went to the check out and their was this prissy type lady there, and she gave me a look, I can't imagine what she was thinking, I just had to lean in a little and give her a big wink, LOL, you should have seen how fast I was checked out after that.............steg

Hardcast416taylor
03-27-2010, 06:16 PM
BRAVO STEG!!!!!Robert

runfiverun
03-27-2010, 06:53 PM
man oh man.
mineral oil comes in enemas and baby oil,castor oil in.,,,,,, well ...bottles, but you combine that purchase with nipple cream for the lanolin.
in a small town......

kentuckycajun
03-30-2010, 01:17 AM
At the grocery store yesterday to pick up some vaseline, finally found it in the baby stuff aisle, their were three jars left and I figgured what the heck, I'll stock up and took them all. went to the check out and their was this prissy type lady there, and she gave me a look, I can't imagine what she was thinking, I just had to lean in a little and give her a big wink, LOL, you should have seen how fast I was checked out after that.............steg

Should've thrown some condoms in the buggy for shock value...:shock:

a.squibload
03-30-2010, 03:00 AM
Felix World Famous Lube

Don't tell my wife about the cheese, I'm off to the liquor store to get reloading supplies...