PDA

View Full Version : press mounted lee sizer check maker

edsmith
03-15-2010, 09:18 PM
here is a lee sizer check maker that is press mounted. it has a few draw backs, to remove the checks,you need to remove the pushrod and use a pencil push the checks out of die.it is easier to lift out the guide to place the disc in it. I drilled and tapped a hole in the end of the pushrod and used a 8-32 button head cap screw to attach it to a lee shell holder. the hole in the shell holder is 1/4in. I turned down the end of the pushrod to fit the hole.the guide has a 3/4in. .1 deep in one end,then I turned a .14 deep hole the width of the disc. the disc fits flush,that way it is centered in the die.I am trying to attach photos but for some reason I can not get them to attach,will keep trying.

edsmith
03-15-2010, 09:57 PM
the manage attachments box says I have reached my limit on attachments,so I guess I can not post any more photos,sorry.

WILCO
03-16-2010, 12:11 PM
the manage attachments box says I have reached my limit on attachments,so I guess I can not post any more photos,sorry.

Delete some pics or use photobucket.com.

plus1hdcp
03-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Looking forward to seeing photos.

bertus
03-16-2010, 06:18 PM
me too

edsmith
03-16-2010, 07:23 PM
I will have some photos in a few hours.

edsmith
03-16-2010, 08:44 PM
here is some photos, I found the best way for me to place the disc in the guide,is to lift off the guide and place the disc in the center cutout for the disc then place it back on the pushrod.the spring holds the guide cutout just above the pushrod.

edsmith
03-16-2010, 08:47 PM
photo

edsmith
03-16-2010, 09:36 PM
another photo

edsmith
03-16-2010, 09:39 PM
last photo is disc in place on guide,this photo is maker on press

smokemjoe
04-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Could you make a set up like for bumbing bullets to eject the check on the return of the ram.

JKH
05-14-2010, 02:31 PM
very nice! What is the finished diameter of you're check's? Is the LEE sizer unmodified?

I was doing this for .22's but without a disc guide like you made it is tricky

JKH
05-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Hmmm, how's this for an idea?

Make a deeper guide piece so that the pushrod will be inserted approximately 1/4" or so, and then place a boolit nose down in the guide, insert the disc on top and ram it home. This way you form the check directly onto the boolit shank and size it at the same time, eliminating one step.

Jeff

edsmith
05-14-2010, 04:10 PM
JKH,the checks come out the same size as the sizer, I don't modify the sizer,they seems to work as is. that idea for makng the check and crimping it on the boolit in one stroke is my next project,that is a great idea,hope it will work,I will do my best.

JKH
05-14-2010, 04:33 PM
ed,

It seems like it would work, my Freechex II tool for .22 makes quite large checks, Charlie makes them so they will fit a .22 High Power boolit, if I size nose first in the LEE sizer it tends to pull material down around the ram, so I size base first and they come out perfect, that is what got me thinking along those lines.

Jeff

edsmith
05-14-2010, 08:41 PM
JEFF, I made a quick one,it does work, I had to pull some checks off some sized boolits,thats all I had,the new checks are a little loose,I think with new boolits that have been tumbled lubed,they will be ok. it takes no more pressure than sizing a regular checked boolits.going to work on refining the gadget.really good idea.

Thecyberguy
05-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Jeff, It doesn't distort the nose of your boolit?
I was just now trying to size my very first cast 225 boolits. Lee sizer and some copper checks. Like you said the copper was pushed down over the ram. I turned some around and pushed through base first and it blunted the nose....
Sorry for the hijack...been watching Ed's sizer project......
Thanks and have a good 'un, Guy

edsmith
05-14-2010, 10:23 PM
GUY, all my boolits are flat nose, you need to drill a hole in the pushrod as wide as possible,put epoxy in the hole,then take a greased boolit and push the nose in it,keeping the boolit straight,let the epoxy set,you then have a custom pushrod for your boolit. ed

kbstenberg
05-15-2010, 07:35 AM
Just a suggestion. If your guide was longer so that most of your bullet fit inside the guide before starting to push the bullet into the sizer. Then you would eliminate getting the bullet offset when it contacted the GC.
Kevin

edsmith
05-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Kevin,i did think about that,I made the guide 1 1/2" long,also I drilled a hole in the end of the pushrod with a endmill the same size as the boolit nose to keep it centered. I will fool around with it and try to get it as easy to use as possible.

JKH
05-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Guy,

What .22 mold do you have? I am using a LEE .22 BATOR mold which is a flat point boolit so there is no issue, I do take pain's to keep the boolit centered on the ram with my thumb & finger as far into the die as I can.
Ed's idea of making the ram conform to the boolit tip is excellant, I have an older push through die that takes interchangeable sizing bushings and the ram has interchangeable shafts depending on size of boolit, I intend to make extras and customize them as Ed has suggested.

Ed, can you post some pics of the boolits you formed the checks on when you get a chance? I'm going to try this on some .30 cal's this weekend.

Jeff

edsmith
05-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Jeff. I will post some photos soon,also I am going to try differant size alu. for the checks.

Thecyberguy
05-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Ed,
Great Idea about the epoxy. I tried pushing some of my boolits through the sizer without checks and they go fine. When I put a check on and try, it is about all I want to push it through and the smears the check past the bottom of the boolit. they go so hard check first that like I said it distorts the boolit. It makes it a wide flat nose with a bulge ...LOL

Jeff,

The one I am talking about is a Lyman 225415. It has a small flat on the nose, but it gets much bigger....LOL.

I just bought a 225646 from Masscaster here on this forum. I haven't tried it yet. I also have a Lee 22 Bator on order at Midsouth....but who knows when that will come.

Are gator good checks to buy? Some of us need to buy our checks for the time being...LOL unless of course ED makes more than he can use experimenting.......and wants to unload some....

Ed, Thanks for the hijack....have a good 'un, Guy

JKH
05-16-2010, 08:52 PM
ed,

What thickness and type aluminum are you using? I have .008" aluminum newspaper lith plates, it is anealled and absolutely [erfect for checks, I use this for all of mine and have sold a lot to other members here, if you like I can send you some to try.

Guy,

What material are you using? Are you using a LEE push through sizer? A bit of polishing might help considerably and also putting as chamfer on the entrance of the hole and polishing it as well would allow for easier entry, try lubing the discs you punch out for the check as well with some case lube or straight/wet LLA. Do you have a check making tool? I bought one of Charlie's Freechex II for .22, hard to use wiuth big hands and fingers but not bad and makes great .22 checks, I could send you some if you like but it will be a bit before I can stamp some more out.

Jeff

Thecyberguy
05-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Jeff...I didn't make them. I had a few given to me. They are copper.

I am using a Lee push through. I do not make any YET......lol

I would love to have you send me a few....whenever. I have been looking at Charlie's rigs...but I am new to casting for rifle and right now a thousand checks seems like a lot. Not sure I would pay for a check maker yet.....

Guy

JKH
05-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Hey Guy,

Copper checks are a lot harder than the aliminum, most likely why it is being reaclcitrant.
Drop me a PM with you're mailing info and I'll send you some of mine when I make more.

The tools are a bit more than 1k checks, BUT, once you have the tool you never are want for checks again! And if you decide you dont want it anymore board members will line up to buy a used one.

Jeff

Thecyberguy
05-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Jeff...PM won't go through. says inbox is full.

WILCO
05-16-2010, 10:25 PM
I am going to try differant size alu. for the checks.

.016" works well for me.

WILCO
05-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Jeff...PM won't go through. says inbox is full.

There is a big thread about this very subject. :groner:

JKH
05-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Guy,
I deleted some PM's, sorry about that!

WILCO,
Big thread about full in-boxes? ;^ )

I have tried numerous types of aluminum in my Freechex tools, if the material is not anealled it will be miserable to work with, especially thicker stuff, or if it is coil stock it will have a PVC type painted finish, that **** leaves some nasty residue in the die body!

Jeff