PDA

View Full Version : cooking the rock duck

Ruger
07-02-2006, 12:55 AM
to cook a rock duck you need to heat two medium rocks about the size of a hard ball. build a hole about one foot deep and start a fire with apple wood, burn down to a nice bed of coals. super heat your two rocks. put onions and a few garlic cloves and three apple slices and the two hot rocks inside the duck and rap in tinfoil. put in hole then cover with dirt. Leave this for about three hours. Take duck out of hole and unrap. Take the rocks out, throw the rock duck away and eat the rocks , because every one know a rock duck is a merganser and not worth eating anyhow and since you went to the trouble of trying to cook the stupid thing and you read this thread you might as well eat the rocks.[smilie=1: Hay a little humor ai'nt all bad

Wayne Dobbs
07-03-2006, 05:41 AM
Ruger,

That was great. As much as I've enjoyed the few times I've gone duck hunting, I just can't seem to find a wild duck recipe that I can stand! Guess I will have to make up for that by eating more deer, doves, quail, etc.

Wayne

C1PNR
07-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Several years ago I had the perfect answer to "proper disposal of undesirable ducks" I shot along with the Mallards. A good friend of mine was a falconer, only he had a South American "Monkey Eagle." I'm not sure of the proper name for the type of bird, but it was BIG! It's normal prey was monkeys, hence the name.

After my hunting trip I'd take the birds I didn't want to eat, Goldeneyes mostly, to my friend Dick. He was also the bartender at a local tavern, which worked out REAL well for me.:drinks:

He'd put the extra ducks in his freezer, feathers and all, and give one to the Eagle every so often. I had fun, the Eagle had fun, and "Eagle Dick" as we called him had free food for his bird. A reall "win - win" situation!

Finn45
07-03-2006, 05:07 PM
That was a good one and it reminds me of the old traditional recipe of Laplander's arctic loon soup... (the use a lot of "h" so I put it in everyplace just in case):

Letsh takeh oneh loonh andh fourh literh ofh clearh waterh (oneh friggingh gallonh willh doh hereh)

Letsh cookh theh loonh inh theh waterh forh oneh hourh

Letsh throwh theh watrh awayh

Letsh takeh threeh litersh ofh clearh waterh (one nearlyh ah gallonh willh doh) andh letsh puth thereh oneh fistfullh ofh hayh

Letsh cookh theh loonh theh hayh waterh forh fiveh minutesh

Letsh throwh theh waterh awayh

Letsh takeh someh kindh ofh ah milkh twoh litersh, halfh ofh ah gallonh ofh cowh milkh or similarh willh doh

Letsh cookh theh loonh inh theh milkh forh oneh minuteh

Letsh throwh theh milkh awayh

Letsh takeh enoughh someh clearh andh freshh boozeh (vodkah ish goodh andh bourbonh willh doh alsoh)

Letsh lookh theh loonh deeph inh theh eyeh andh throwh ith aawayh

Letsh drinkh theh boozeh

Yammyh...:drinks: