PDA

View Full Version : Which one first

bobv
03-15-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm getting into PP this spring and I have a question: I'll be going shooting soon and I have a some cartridges that have been loaded non PP with bullets with LLA on them besides my new PP cartridges, the question is: do I shoot the lubed bullets first or the PP in the clean barrel first or is there no difference. Also these cartridges are loaded with IMR3031 After shooting the lubed bullets I will shoot only PP ( if it works out) also go to BP.

Sorry if this is a dumb question:roll:..just wondering!!!
Thanks
Bob

giz189
03-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Bob, IMO it won't matter. However, if you shoot the LLA's first and then the PP, you will have a very shiny bore.

bobv
03-16-2010, 06:39 AM
That's what I was thinking also
Thanks
Bob

pdawg_shooter
03-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Shoot your naked bullets first. Any leading left will be cleaned out by the paper patch bullets. I have even used paper patched bullets to clean out copper fouling.

montana_charlie
03-16-2010, 02:48 PM
After shooting the lubed bullets I will shoot only PP ( if it works out)
It sounds to me like you are about to do a shooting test to decide whether you want to stay with GG bullets, or switch to PP. You will make the switch "if it works out".

In order to fairly test both loads, you should shoot the paper patched loads first.

Why...?

It is very common to shoot PP from a clean barrel. It's even common to wipe between shots, so a near-clean bore is maintained throughout the session.
Shooting your PP first will give those loads the 'fair chance' they need to show you their actual performance.

On the other hand, it is very common to shoot GG bullets through a 'previously fouled' bore. Shooting your GG bullets last will simply be testing them in a 'normal environment'.

Yeah...I know you have them loaded with smokeless, and that fouling won't be much of an issue. But, you also say you are considering a switch to BP.
You may as well start adjusting your thinking (now) to consider 'fouling management' as a primary factor in any future load development.

CM

SharpsShooter
03-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Shoot your naked bullets first. Any leading left will be cleaned out by the paper patch bullets. I have even used paper patched bullets to clean out copper fouling.

I have to disagree. The risk of distorting a paper patch by using it for a lead remover could not possibly be good for accuracy testing. A clean, dry, un-fouled environment is where the PP bullet thrives. Clean between shots if using Black Powder and I would not start a test of Paper Patch with anything less than a sterile bore condition...even with ...smokeless (gag) powder.

SS

montana_charlie
03-16-2010, 06:21 PM
I have to disagree. The risk of distorting a paper patch by using it for a lead remover could not possibly be good for accuracy testing.
That certainly makes sense to me, and this picture shows why.
The bullet on the left was fired from a clean bore, and each subsequent one (moving to the right) was fired from the increasingly dirty bore with no 'extra' fouling management.
I thought the fouling would be soft enough to prevent the kind of damage shown because the load stack included an 1/8 inch thick grease cookie made of bullet lube.

However, the first shot shows the patch was not quite far enough forward...and there was probably a bit of leading when the nose made contact with the steel. From then on, the amount of leading...and damage...got worse.

I may have transposed the final two when taking the picture, but it doesn't really matter. Even the second shot shows serious problems.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=88&pictureid=1209

Even with the damage, they all hit the snowbank about where they were aimed. So the 'apparent accuracy' was no clue to what a truly bad idea it was.

CM

bobv
03-16-2010, 07:58 PM
I guess I'm going to shoot the PP first, it makes sense to test my first PP boolits with a clean bore. I pretty sure to go to PP instead of the GG boolits. When I mentioned ''if it works out'' I guess I was hoping it will shoot great the first time...but if it's anything like the rest of reloading...I have a lot of testing to do.Actually the first cartridge I loaded the other day, didn't go well , I neck sized my brass and had a hell of a time seating the boolit and thought ..GEE this not working out the way it should...then somewhere in the back of my brain..the little voice said...you have to use the expander..dummy[smilie=b:So now I'm ready for the first shots of the season ,if the weather can be somewere in the 8 to 10 degres this saturday..it's a go!!!
Bob