PDA

View Full Version : BP lube advice

phishroy
03-15-2010, 08:19 AM
HI.
Im looking for a black powder lube recipe.
I found many good ones on here including emmerts lube but I also noticed that many of the vegetable oil/ animal fat based lubes will go rancid or react with the cartridges if left for a long time.

Any recommendations on BP lubes that wont go rancid on me ( I cant store lube in my freezer, wife will kill me) and wont react with the cartridges if left loaded for a long time?

Hip's Ax
03-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Roy, I'm using a modified Emmerts (50% beeswax, 40% Crisco, 5% lanolin and 5% jojoba oil) and have been making it and shooting it for I guess 2 years now with no storage issues as of this date. We have not been keeping it in the fridge and I have ammo loaded for over a year that is just fine.

This lube shoots well for me at both mid range with a 45-70 and long range with a 45-90 and I wipe every shot with machinists oil and water.

Can you define what you consider a long time?

cajun shooter
03-15-2010, 08:55 AM
I use a similar mix for my lube but instead of Crisco I use the mutton tallow that is sold by Dixie gun works. I live in Louisiana and if something will go rancid it will here.

stubshaft
03-16-2010, 02:53 AM
Gatofeo lube - 1 Part Paraffin wax + 1 Part Mutton Tallow + 1/2 Part Beeswax. Mix by weight not volume. Like Cajun shooter said Mutton Tallow will not go rancid.

NickSS
03-16-2010, 05:56 AM
I have been using a 50-50 mix of bees wax and crisco for years now (like 20) and have never had any spoilage or problems with cartridges loaded for a few years time. I sometimes for winter shooting thin the lube with an once of olive oil per 4 once of lube by volume. This makes it a little softer for winter shooting.

phishroy
03-16-2010, 05:43 PM
ok, so what are all the stories i hear about not using animal fats because they go rancid and react with the brass, is that a myth?

Trey45
03-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Crisco isn't animal fat, it's vegetable shortning.

Southern Son
03-17-2010, 04:59 AM
I have been using a lube from one of Matthews books (cannot remember which book, I have managed to get all of them). He called it "Shows Promise" or Matthews No. 2. The only problem with using it is making lube cookies. My home made lube extruder broke so I tried using the old "Pour the molten lube onto the surface of water and let it cool" trick. But Matthews No. 2 contains soap, which helped the lube mix with the water and make a quite disturbing mess. On the up side, I made some of this lube 18 months ago and poured it into some glass jars. It has been left in the car port for all that time. It has not gone off or rancid and still works just as well as when I mixed it. If you want the recipe, let me know and I will dig it out.

cajun shooter
03-23-2010, 11:12 AM
1lb BW
1lb parrafin
4oz Lanolin
4oz of JoJoBo oil
1 tub of mutton tallow ( About 14oz from Dixie Gun Works)

August
03-23-2010, 01:31 PM
I use 50/50 beeswax/crisco and it runs great. I dope it with a little lanolin and carnuba (about ten percent-ish).

Never had any storage, spoilage, corrosion issues with this approach.

Lead Fred
03-23-2010, 04:26 PM
50/50 with cornola oil 10% works great for either powders.

I was thinking of subbing the corn oil for STP. but it works so good now, I have not gotten around to it.