PDA

View Full Version : About heating the sizer......

B R Shooter
03-15-2010, 08:04 AM
I know a lot of lubes suggest heating in order to flow and fill properly. These heaters that go under the sizer I suppose get to a certain temp, but are they regulated, or do they need to be?

What's an alternative? I was thinking a lamp sitting close to the back of the sizer, and I could check the temp with my infrared and move the lamp closer/farther as needed.

With everything I read on this forum, you all always have more than one way skin skin the cat.

high standard 40
03-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Heat regulation has to be achieved by plugging it in and unplugging it when it gets too hot. Another option is to cut a piece of steel or aluminum plate to bolt under the sizer that extends beyond the sizer body. Then place a clothes iron on the plate for a heat source. You can find a cheap iron at Walmart and these can be adjusted for heat.

Terryrm1-03
03-15-2010, 09:02 AM
I use just a standard flood lamp. One that's 6-8" wide and 4-5" tall. Put it beside the sizer and in 5-10mins she's warmed up the lube. then after awhile pull it back as it gets hot. Has worked yrs for me, and had it at home already.
Terry

Wayne S
03-15-2010, 09:27 AM
+1 for the metal plate and cloths iron, another plus for the metal plate it that it gives you a bigger and more stable base for secureing the lub/sizer to the bench the two mounting bolts for the L/Ser and two in the back of the plate.
[smilie=b:ask me how I hnow this "is a good thing "

1Shirt
03-15-2010, 09:35 AM
I use a hair drier (1.75 at Good will), to get it warmed up to my comfort level, than a small lamp with the hot bulb close to the base which keeps the thing at a workable temp.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

03-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Goose-neck, clamp-on lamp with an on/off switch. Enclose the works with aluminum foil until the lube gets to temperature, then use the switch to maintain it. If you're careful with the foil, it can be re-used many times.

Daves1
03-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Ditto what High standard 40 says, except I use magnetic engine block heater. measures about 3x4 inches.

atr
03-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Ive been using one of those infra-red heat lamps,,,the kind you use for raising baby chicks...
works great...I hang it over the top of the lyman 45 unit and in about 15 minutes all is well...

jcwit
03-15-2010, 11:38 AM
I use one of the clip on Brooder lamps with the alu. reflector and a 100 watt light bulb. I turn it on about 1/2 hour before lubing and its ready to go.

No I AM NOT GREEN. I still like the old incandescent light bulbs.

B R Shooter
03-15-2010, 11:54 AM
OK, so let me ask this....do you know what TEMPERATURE you're getting to? Since I have this infrared heat sensor thingy, I can press a button and read what temp a surface is. Are we talking luke warm, like maybe 80-90 degrees?

I have a steel plate on my bench I clamp my reloading presses to, so I already have that, and that would be a great heat sink, or stabilizer of sorts, just as some are using an iron on the plate. So my guess here is any heat source will do, as long as it stays fairly even temperature.

rob45
03-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Yup, somewhere around 100 for the hard lubes seems to work well. Best to experiment with your particular lube and setup, but somewhere close to 90-100 should work. Really depends on where you take the temp reading.

jsizemore
03-15-2010, 01:44 PM
I use a 3/8" aluminum plate, and from Wally World a black & decker home quick and easy iron, plus a digital meat thermometer with remote probe. I stick the tip of the probe under the pump spring/base on my star. When it hits 87deg, I start sizing. If it gets over 90, then I get a little pinhead bead of lube on the nose side of the front driving band. I already had the plate. The rest cost me about $20. Very easy to regulate. 1/2deg readout on the display. Simple.

jsizemore
03-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Oh yeah, I'm using Lar's Carnuba Red. No more cloud of smoke from long strings when shooting the 45.

BCB
03-15-2010, 01:53 PM
B R Shooter,

I have an older Midway heater. I looked on the Midway site and didn't see it listed anymore. Lyman seems to be the one most listed...

Regardless, my Midway one has a screw on the heating part that can be adjusted to regulate the heat...

The heater is attached to a metal plate that the sizer bolts to. It gets almost too hot to touch, but the sizer just gets warm. Don't know the temperature of sure...

I looked for the instructions for it and I'll be danged if I can find them--I never throw anything away. I will continue to look!...

I have read other methods of heating the sizer as written on this subject, but the heater that mounts to the sizer seems much, much easier--but it would cast more...

Good-luck...BCB

Duckiller
03-15-2010, 02:46 PM
B R Shooter
I use a CHEAP hair drier and heat the lubersizer up until the lube (LARS Carnuba Red) starts to flow. Add heat when ever lube starts to get stiff.

Big Country
03-16-2010, 06:10 PM
I also have an older Midway heater.

cricco
03-16-2010, 06:25 PM
B R Shooter,

I have an older Midway heater. I looked on the Midway site and didn't see it listed anymore. Lyman seems to be the one most listed...

Regardless, my Midway one has a screw on the heating part that can be adjusted to regulate the heat...

The heater is attached to a metal plate that the sizer bolts to. It gets almost too hot to touch, but the sizer just gets warm. Don't know the temperature of sure...

I looked for the instructions for it and I'll be danged if I can find them--I never throw anything away. I will continue to look!...

I have read other methods of heating the sizer as written on this subject, but the heater that mounts to the sizer seems much, much easier--but it would cast more...

Good-luck...BCB

I have the same heater. I looked for one like it on line, and couldn't find one. Since I bought mine used, my guess is that the adjustable heaters are no longer sold.

BCB
03-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Big Country & cricco,

Would either one of you guys know which way to turn the screw, clockwise or counter clockwise, to adjust the heat up or down?

I can’t believe I can’t find my instructions. I guess I could turn it one way as far as it would go and put a lab thermometer on the part that fits under the sizer and check the temperature. And then turn the screw the other direction as far as it would go and check the temperature again! Instructions would be easier though…

Mine has worked well the limited amount I have use it. It is getting used more and more each day now that I am getting better at using the sizing press and the lube adjustments…

BCB

Alchemist
03-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Big Country & cricco,

Would either one of you guys know which way to turn the screw, clockwise or counter clockwise, to adjust the heat up or down?

I can’t believe I can’t find my instructions. I guess I could turn it one way as far as it would go and put a lab thermometer on the part that fits under the sizer and check the temperature. And then turn the screw the other direction as far as it would go and check the temperature again! Instructions would be easier though…

Mine has worked well the limited amount I have use it. It is getting used more and more each day now that I am getting better at using the sizing press and the lube adjustments…

BCB

Clockwise to increase heat. At least that's how mine works....I got it at least 15 yrs ago, maybe more. Can't remember for sure.

Hope that helps.

wistlepig1
03-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Al 1/4 plate
LESS THAN $10 iron from quilt shop and go ahead and sayit " what a cheap Bas**":bigsmyl2:

GP100man
03-19-2010, 10:05 PM
This does 3 things at once !!

1 it warms the lubesizer .

2 it lets me see what I`m doing.

3 keeps my hands warm ( a plus for us that arthur has visited!!).

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/sizerlamp-1.jpg

Dale53
03-19-2010, 10:34 PM
I bought a Lyman flat heater that comes drilled and tapped for all of the major lube/sizers. It has no heat control. I use a Dremel tool variable speed control (really, it is just a rheostat). If you have the Lyman heater, just pick up an electrical box, a light dimmer, and a double plug and make your own "heat control". Just a few bucks and you're in business.

FWIW
Dale53

jixxerbill
04-04-2010, 11:08 PM
I bought a Lyman flat heater that comes drilled and tapped for all of the major lube/sizers. It has no heat control. I use a Dremel tool variable speed control (really, it is just a rheostat). If you have the Lyman heater, just pick up an electrical box, a light dimmer, and a double plug and make your own "heat control". Just a few bucks and you're in business.

FWIW
Dale53

could u please explain more on the light dimmer heat control thing ?? a picture of a wiring diagram would be excellent lol thanks...bill
ill experiment with alot of things but electricity is not one of them

Dale53
04-04-2010, 11:47 PM
jixxerbill;
It is relatively simple to draw a diagram but I can't do it without knowing what kind of rheostat you will use. Hopefully, you have a friend close by who can help you.

Dale53

swamp
04-05-2010, 01:48 AM
I have a Midway heater that is drilled and tapped for the sizer and has a temp control.
It is not marked and adjust with a small screwdrivr. Took some trial and error to get it set but have had no problems siince.
Had it long enough to forget when I got it.