PDA

View Full Version : about WW

Ajax
03-14-2010, 08:11 PM
I am not trying to start a war here, but does anyone use WW for REAL bullets? Do they work well.

Andy

docone31
03-14-2010, 08:24 PM
With wheel weight, I use it with my R.E.A.L. I have to hammer it in the bore anyway, so an harder alloy is not an issue.
I have not noticed any issues with accuracy.
I do not use straight WW, I mix it with roof lead.

mooman76
03-14-2010, 08:55 PM
They will work if that is all you have but like docone31 said you really have to pound them in. I would get a sore hand after awhile. If you have some of the stick on WWs they are softer than the clip on ones and work better.

Maven
03-15-2010, 01:36 PM
bth, If you use WW's, you'll get a harder, lighter, and slightly wider (daimeter) CB compared to pure Pb. If your REAL or other conical mold casts too small as mine did with Pb, WW's are certainly worth experimenting with.

tonyb
03-15-2010, 01:51 PM
I am not trying to start a war here, but does anyone use WW for REAL bullets? Do they work well.

Andy

Of course you know this means war.[smilie=l:

Ajax
03-15-2010, 02:24 PM
:roll: thanks Tonyb.

Bosshaug
03-24-2010, 10:20 PM
I do use wheel weights for my 50 cal REAL bullets, as well as the round ball, BUT I use only the stick-on type WW, as they are practically pure lead. The clip-on weights are not really suitable for muzzle loaders (in my opinion).

Huntsman
03-25-2010, 06:43 AM
I cast the REAL boolits (.54) too with WW's, I have;nt noticed any extreme force required to seat them. And the accuracy with these is IMO quite good. My plan is to hunt deer this fall with them from my TC Hawken and round balls from my .54 cal Lyman GPR.
Here's my thread in the "Hunting with CB's" ;
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=75759

missionary5155
03-27-2010, 03:07 AM
Hello and WELCOME to BOSSHAUG !
Good to have you about !
I Use WW BUT only as RB. Actually I have not loaded anything but RB for about 20 years now. As mentioned above WW will cast larger diameter and that sometimes is what is needed to get the right patch tension in whatever barrel I am playing with at the time. It can become a juggling match but sometimes I just care not to have to buy another RB mold when a little fatter RB can be had by adding some more Clip ons. I really like to keep things simple so it helps me to stay away from multiple patches.
A 50/50 mix works well in my 54-58 rifles also for plinking. Hunting.. anything over 54 just does not need to be real soft. Start punching 56+ caliber holes through deer and they leak out real fast.
BUT since I have a good supply of pure lead.. I will not hessitate to keep using it on crittters I want to stop walking about.
I would NOT want to have to POUND any projectile down my barrel. Me thinks that has to be somewhat detremental to accuracy.