PDA

View Full Version : Lyman .45 instead of .452

pancho
03-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Hi guys,I just got a lyman#452630 (200 grain FN BB) from midway and cast 200 bullets that other than for the fact that are .45 in diameter they look and shoot OK on my 1911s and S&W 625 ACP.(750 fps with a mild load)I passed through a magma star sizer with a .452 die and were lubed but not sized because the .45 diameter of the bullets to begin with.a little lube smear on the noses,but mine only concern is leading my barrels in the future I shoot into a bullet trap (mastercast,penn,missouri.commercial bullets).and recycle the lead casting at 700/750 degrees with the molds at 350/400 degrees adding a little solder to it.My question is ;do you think I should return the mold to midway or keep it and shoot the bullets like they are.Thanks you for your advise.Pancho[smilie=s:[smilie=s:

Wayne Smith
03-14-2010, 06:16 PM
We need to know the groove diameter of the barrels in question to answer that question. I assume by .45 in diameter you mean .450?

pancho
03-14-2010, 07:11 PM
I run bullets through the barrels of my guns and I measure the high lands and low lands on each bullet (I think that's what you call them) and I got.451 and .442. in all of them. Yes ;by .45 I mean .450 .I still new at this,actually,this were the first bullets I ever cast.I was so happy that all come out looking so good that forgot to measure their diameter .With this lyman mold I also got a saeco#067 4 cavity that dropped perfect bullets at .452 in the same casting session with the same alloy,temperature, etc.

cbrick
03-15-2010, 01:56 AM
Welcome to Castboolits pancho,

If your absolutely positively certain that they are casting at .450" I would return it in a heartbeat. Even with the 12% antimony of lino you'll only probably get to about .451". 452630 is Lyman's version of the #68, does it look like my avatar?

452630 is listed as .452" diameter and you'll probably not find a lot of barrels that small. Are you measuring with a micrometer or with calipers?

Rick

pancho
03-15-2010, 11:46 AM
I am positive,checked with two different calipers,when run trough the star sizer (.451 die) this bullets don even get a scratch. and leak lube that I think comes from the gap.when I re load them they go so easy in the brass that is a little scary .I am going to exchange this mold for a saeco #68 four cavity ,which is the same bullet.By the way ,yes is the same bullet you show on your avatar.Also my other choice is get a custom mold from LBT.I rather pay a little more than being disappointed like this.But I have to say it has been a good experience to learn from.Thanks a lot for your interest.Pancho.

RobS
03-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Lyman molds are running small in diameter these days. If you (anyone here) calls Lyman up and you say you are using WW they will tell you that is the reason even if your mold is casting a full hundredth small i.e. should be .452 but end up with a .442 (by the way there is no alloy that will make up the difference on this large of a variance). I argued this with Lyman over the phone only to loose the battle. So if you call them make sure to tell them that you are using their precious Lyman #2 alloy. I would send it back to Midway as you are not going to find to many guns with that small of a groove diameter to adequately shoot this bullet well. Bullet fit is king.