PDA

View Full Version : Monster case cleaner !

PDshooter
06-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Well I've been "eye-balling" this case cleaner at work for over year. The boss wanted to go through the wearhouse and clean it out!...He ask me if I still wanted it! "You bet I said".....$50 bucks, and it's your's.....I gave him cash......And "RAN WITH IT"http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/PDshooter/reloading/06040.jpg
They havn't used it for over 6yrs!

imashooter2
06-30-2006, 11:15 PM
LOL! Sweet find. You're going to need two men and a boy to turn that thing over to empty it out though. What do you figure it'll hold? 10-15 pounds of walnut or cob?

keeper89
07-01-2006, 07:32 AM
Whew!! Talk about your batch processing!!!! Great find......:drinks:

Dale53
07-01-2006, 12:32 PM
PDShooter;
Good find! I don't know how my large Dillon compares in size but it is pretty dern large. I use a coffee can to dip the media and cases out into the media separator (an invention from above, IMO) until it is nearly empty. Then I just pick up the vibratory tumbler (12.5 quart capacity) and dump the rest in. It works very well and keeps the mess to a minimum).

Incidentally, my Dillon made a terrible noise when I first got it (just the noise of the cases vibrating, etc). I saw that the lid was vibrating against the bowl. It would drive me nearly nuts to try to work around it. I took the lid off, cleaned it carefully and put a thin strip of self adhesive insulation rubber (from your friendly building supply company) on the LID where it contacts the bowl. I have used this for years and you would not believe how much it quieted the tumbler down.

Dale53

13Echo
07-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Just the thing for the light artillery buff. Could clean a whole lot of Hotchkiss or pack artillery brass. And it's ideal for the reloader with a minigun. Probably could hold at least 15 to 30 seconds worth of 7.62.

Jerry Liles

Baldy
07-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Thats about as good as it gets there PDshooter. Go to a feed store as cob or shell is real cheap when you buy bulk. Throw a drier sheet in with it ever so often and it will last for ever.[smilie=1: Well almost anyway. Good luck with it.:-D

meldrimgunsmith
07-01-2006, 04:51 PM
quick east fix for cleaning is use rice in the tumbler

floodgate
07-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Thats about as good as it gets there PDshooter. Go to a feed store as cob or shell is real cheap when you buy bulk. Throw a drier sheet in with it ever so often and it will last for ever.[smilie=1: Well almost anyway. Good luck with it.:-D

Careful about asking for "cob" in a livestock feed store. They may misunderstand and give you "C. O. B." or "C. O. B. (w)" which is a mix of rolled corn, oats and barley, a high-energy feed supplement (we use it to keep our goat in milk); the "COB(w)" s sweetened with molasses and would make a REAL mess in the vibrator.

floodgate

largecaliberman
07-04-2006, 05:19 AM
Nice toy!!!

HTRN
07-18-2006, 11:58 AM
You guys would have a heart attack at what that thing costs new. It appears to be a 20 quart model. You rarely see bowl types this big as most places that use vibratory polishers use the large "box" type.

A good lead for cheap media is (believe it or not) lizard bedding from Petco. Runs less than a dollar a pound.

Now if you guys wanna a nice cheap, really freaking huge brass polisher: Linky (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200304815_200304815).

Add 50 lbs of media or more and throw in every case you got. Cement mixers as brass cleaner's is an old trick of .50 BMG shooters.

HTRN

omgb
07-18-2006, 01:00 PM
You laugh, but the gun (I can't remember his name at the moment, Paul Jones I think) who was the big dealer for Star back in the 60s and 70s, used to clean 38 SP brass in just such a mixer. he did lots of 10K or more. Further, according to him, when he finished loading all of that stuff, he'd toss it all in the mixer with some media and a small amount of kerosene just to keep them shiney. Why that wouldn't leak through to the primers or powder I sure don't know. Any way, that's his story. I have no reason to doubt it but i can't substanciate it either.

Frank46
07-19-2006, 02:44 AM
13Echo, would you be speaking about what they used to call "one Pounders"?, something along the lines of a very small 37mm. Saw one of those on the tube loaded with black powder. Looked to be lotsa fun. Frank

Frank46
07-19-2006, 03:07 AM
Quite a few years ago I happened to be in a local gun shop back home and the owner had one of the back doors open. He had rigged up a plastic drum that chlorine for swimming pools came in. Think it was a 100lb drum. He told me that he just fills it up with brass and corn cob media and tumble for a few hours. From what I can remember (CRS) he had a shaft through both the bottom and the lid and connected to a couple pillow block bearings and a belt drive stepped way down. Only ran about 10-20 rpm but would hold a lot of brass. Frank

Beau Cassidy
07-19-2006, 07:11 AM
The cement mixer jobbers are what Sierra uses to polish their bullets. When the points of soft point bullets are formed, there is a little tit of lead sticking out of the nose of the bullet. It is easily broken off and I have bought a lot of second bullets this way. When they come out of the tumbler, they are ready to be boxed and sold. I don't know how long they tumble the bullets. If you ever get to central Missouri, it is worth a tour. Starline brass is next door.

Beau

PatMarlin
07-19-2006, 09:21 AM
I washed my work clothes in the cement mixer last summer. It worked great!

Does this mean I'm a redneck?.. :mrgreen:

felix
07-19-2006, 09:28 AM
No, it means that you could stain your good clothes, or at least make them off color. Need to get rid of all traces of internal rust first, and then paint the insides with polyethylene. If doing that, keep the water temperature at around 150F or so during the wash. Going over that, the poly will soften and might become unglued. ... felix

PatMarlin
07-19-2006, 02:41 PM
We just did it the hillbilly way Felix....

The rust was already gone, cause we just used it for cement work, then the clothes were already off color so the didn't know any better.. :mrgreen:

beagle
07-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Hell of a tumbler.

MY shooting partner's a machinist and so's his son. The son had a laid back position and made a tumbler on the job. Milled a nylon gear train and used a 5 gallon plastic bucket for the tumbler.

I used it for a while but didn't generate enough brass to make it possible.

The darn thing worked good with various buckets modified for media sifters.

You'll sure have fun soorting thropugh all the brass generated by that job though./beagle

ANeat
07-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Heres my 5 gallon bucket tumblerhttp://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=81330&postcount=18

Adam

HTRN
07-19-2006, 07:28 PM
13Echo, would you be speaking about what they used to call "one Pounders"?, something along the lines of a very small 37mm. Saw one of those on the tube loaded with black powder. Looked to be lotsa fun. Frank

One of the things on my "gonna build eventually" list is a "half pounder"(4 bore). Krieger sell barrels and NEI has a 3500grn(!) mold. What's nice about it is BATFE has given a sporting use exemption for 4 bores. :holysheep

HTRN

PatMarlin
07-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Heres my 5 gallon bucket tumblerhttp://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=81330&postcount=18

Adam

Beauty! I'm makin' me onna those.. :mrgreen: :drinks: :Fire:

D.Mack
07-19-2006, 08:37 PM
PatMarlin No washing your clothes in a cement mixer does not make you a Red Neck, unless you are in them at the time. DM