PDA

View Full Version : BPI sabots

30hrrtt
03-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Anybody have any news on how they are doing with the development of the new sabots and when they are anticipated to hit the market?

Johnch
03-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Several weeks back ,I emailed them about when the new sabots would be avaible
And never got a reply

John

Dixie Slugs
03-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Dixie is now involved with testing the new BPI sabot with our hard cast Tornado bullet. This new sabot looks like a real winner indeed! It should be added that the Dixie Tornado was designed to fit the BPI sabot.
All of us here have come to understand the value of hard cast bullets. The .503"-460 gr truncated nose Tornado has all the design features that have priven needed ina good game bullet. The velocity of 1500'/" is at the velocity that the variation across the chrono was the smallest. The Tornado has a BC of .271 for those that want to runn it through a ballistc program.
Dixie hopes to have a loaded round on the market by June....James

BABore
03-16-2010, 03:21 PM
Hey James, that boolit looks familiar.:bigsmyl2:

How'd you like to buy the 300-400 old BPI sabots I have for nostalgia's sake?[smilie=w:

I wonder if BPI will take them in on trade.

Yeroc
03-17-2010, 08:23 AM
As long as its been I hope it sure is worth the wait

Greg5278
03-17-2010, 10:51 AM
I hope that those Morons at BPI would take them back for you. The Data and loads they posted were wishful thinking at best. Everytime I deal with BPI they seem to get worse and worse. I am always amazed at what shows up at my door after I order. I don't think they have gotten an order of mine right in the last 5 years. If I could get some of the products elsewhere, I would not do Business with them at all.

They have poor inventory control, and have no idea what is actually in stock. Speaking with Grant Fackler hasn't helped either. They shipped the wrong hulls, and then wanted me to keep them after they had already messed up the order!

Let's hope the new Sabots aren't another joke. I can't wait to see the loading data. I wonder if there will be any more LOW pressure 500 gr bullet loads at 2350FPS?
Greg

Yeroc
03-17-2010, 12:38 PM
The new sabots are suppose to come out around June??....Probaly just a early April Fools Joke!!

phaessler
03-18-2010, 05:54 AM
There is no mention of anything in their new catalog that arrived yesterday, as a matter of fact the slug section appeared smaller.

Pete

BABore
03-18-2010, 07:59 AM
I do have the cherry for the boolit that James specified for the original BPI sabot. I supplied him with a mold for his initial testing. I sent James a PM about offering this design to anybody who wants a mold of it and he's fine with that. I don't currently show it on my website and I just sent in a new update prior to this discussion. So, it's available, but won't be shown on the site until a future update is done.

Greg5278
03-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Bruce, what is the weight of the Tornado bullet in HP form?
I know the solid is 450gr.
Thanks Greg

BABore
03-18-2010, 11:34 AM
I'll have to see if I still have some. Don't remember as it was a year or better ago I did these. I would guestimate it at about 25 grains lighter.

Dixie Slugs
03-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Excellent indeed! I will also post about Bruce's molds on Dixie's new web page....James

BABore
03-19-2010, 07:57 AM
The solid version of my boolit weighs 480 grains even with 50/50 WW-Pb.

The HP version weighs 446 grain. I used a tapered 0.250 diameter pin, set approximately 0.350 deep. I can put in most any size HP pin and they are adjustable for depth within reason.

This boolit is 0.930 in length and has a 0.360 diameter meplat. Diameter is 0.505-0.506. Originally James and I were thinking it should be 0.503 diameter, but we upped the size slightly to better fit the original BPI sabot and give a tighter grip.

Dixie Slugs
03-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Most Important!!!! The future molds should have a slight bevel on the baseof the bullet! The best way to put the bullet into the sabot....is to rest the base of the bullet on the top of the new sabot and tap in in with a large rubber hammer. This allows the base to snap by the teats inside of the petals and go all the way to the bottom of the inside of the sabot. If the base is not slightly beveled, it wants to dig into the sabot.
The sabot releases the bullet between 900'/" and 1000'/". Above 1500'/". the petals start blowing off the sabot, but is seems to have no affect. The smallest shot to shot variation seems about 1500'/"
We are now shooting the load and it looks like it will be a real winner indeed!....James

hubel458
03-22-2010, 01:23 AM
Anyone using their flexseal directly under the blue sabot.

The grey ones worked at 1500 for most. I and a few others have gotten them
to work at lot more(2500) with support under sabot and slower powders.
Reason I mention that is that guys reloading don't want to
settle for 1500 fps loads, when factory loads with 5-600gr combos
are out there at 1900 fps that reloaders want to match.I have a guy
making 440 gr hard cast .504" slugs that gives 3" groups at 50 yds at
good speed of 2200 plus in grey ones.

I got to nag them to sell me some
blues to test, as they do look better. ED