PDA

View Full Version : Tang Sights

Tom-ADC
03-14-2010, 09:44 AM
I just put a tang sight on my Sharps, question is do you remove the sight by removing the base pin when you transport or store the rifle.?

e15cap
03-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Tom, Most of us just put a cloth bagover it to protect the wood and fold it over. Think small jewelry bag from your wife. MVA and Buffalo Arms sell them. If you are looking for a place to shoot,
Pala in North San Diego county has a monthly match and practice sessions. You are most welcome to join us. NCSAPALA.COM. Best, Roger

Tom-ADC
03-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Roger, thanks for the info I'll check into that, also the invite, right now I belong to South Bay Rod & Gun we shoot in Delzura.
Got to play with this thing a little before I try a match, old eye's you know.

Jon K
03-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Tom,

You'll feel right at home @Pala....couple of the boys from South Bay shoot Pala BP & Levergun matches. Jump in and get your feet wet..............it's a lot of fun.

Jon

e15cap
03-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Tom, Thurs is the day at Dulzura for the blackpowder and schutzen shooters. c'mon out and play.

Tom-ADC
03-15-2010, 07:44 PM
I was out there today, super windy, but I tried out some hand loads a 300 gr RCBS with 43.5 grs of Varget and 405 gr Magma 40.0 grs of Varget.
I do have maybe 200 BP ready to go tempting..
Did not use my Creedmore sight today, next trip out.

Tom-ADC
03-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Tom, Thurs is the day at Dulzura for the blackpowder and schutzen shooters. c'mon out and play.

Roger is that a practice day for them? I could use some pointers for sure.

e15cap
03-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Tom, Thurs is kind of a free for all as you never know what will show up. I will have my Sharps and there will be some schutzen rifles and who knows what. Come on out and bring your stuff and we will be glad to have you. Roger

Tom-ADC
03-16-2010, 12:10 PM
I put my sight on on couldn't find the front sight period, so I tilted forward a little at a time until I could see the front sight. The tang now viewed from the side seems to be tilted toward the barrel. Not straight up and down I'm guessing this is normal.

Roger what time do you guys meet there?

Rick459
03-16-2010, 12:46 PM
I put my sight on on couldn't find the front sight period, so I tilted forward a little at a time until I could see the front sight. The tang now viewed from the side seems to be tilted toward the barrel. Not straight up and down I'm guessing this is normal.

Roger what time do you guys meet there?

push the ladder until you feel it come up against the stop. if you push it further it will start to fold down foward. yes when it is in the correct position it will not be straight up and down but canted foward because of the angle of the stock.HTH
Rick
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o301/rick4570/Picture021-1.jpg

montana_charlie
03-16-2010, 03:05 PM
If the staff of your tang sight does not lock into a position that holds it perpendicular to the bore, something is not right with your installation...or the sight, itself.

If you can't provide a photo of your mounted sight, personal advice from someone at one of the ranges you have been invited to is going to be needed to get you straightened out.

CM

e15cap
03-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Tom, Muster is at 0800 sharp, or whenever you get there. We can sort that sight out for you.
Roger

Tom-ADC
03-16-2010, 08:56 PM
I'll be there, after my walk. Try for 8:00 will probably be a little later.

Yance
03-17-2010, 03:40 PM

Tom;

Depending on the sight you have you may have to reverse the base, plus, when I installed the Pedersoli USA 406 on my Sharps I had to order the tallest #17 Globe front sight Lyman makes.

The 100 yd zero still almost bottoms out the staff. Another thing you might want to look at if you don't already have it is a Hadley style eyecup. 6 or 7 different size apertures for varying light conditions.

6.5 mike
03-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Tom-ADC, while I don't normally talk to "mechs", Yance is giving really good info about the hadley eye cup's. The first time you shoot with passing clouds & try changing eye cups you'll find out. It's so much easier to just turn the little wheel to whatever size apeture you need. I have a lee shaver mid range (came with the eye cup) on a hiwall, & a MVA on my sharps. Had to order it extra but wouldn't be without it for target work. Welcome to the forum, & BTW also usn retired.

Tom-ADC
03-17-2010, 08:22 PM
The Hadley eye cup is next on my list, tomorrow I'll get to shoot with the tang sight, I really struggled with the rear sight that came with the rifle, I also switched from a post to a circle for the front sight.
Thanks for the welcome aboard, always like to see other sailors on the different boards.