PDA

View Full Version : ATTN KNIFE MAKERS! Where do you get your antler material f/handles

Just Duke
03-14-2010, 03:16 AM
ATTN KNIFE MAKERS! Where do you get your antler material for handles?
I have a dozen or so blanks I need to turn into Period Correct Bowie knives.
TIA,
Duke

Jim
03-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Duke, what I know about knifemaking will fit in a thimble, so take my comments with a grain of salt. That being said, it's my understanding that bone was used as handles for the bigger knives simply because it takes a really big antler to handle out a Bowie.
I'm sure a Google for antler mat'l. will turn up something, but I'm scared to guess what you'll pay for it.

snake river marksman
03-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Antler scrounging season opens the first of May here in Wyoming. People come from all over the country to go looking for shed Elk antlers near the state feed grounds and the National Elk refuge. They bring thier horses and camp out at the gate in order to be the first ones in. The local boy scout troop gets out the week before and collects the sheds from the National Elk Refuge and then they auction them off on the town square a couple of weeks later. This is how they fund their activities. Some of the better sets go for a couple of hundred bucks. The fish and game department is so serious about the antler season that they set up and use night vision equipment to catch people trying to sneak out onto the refuge and the forest beyond.

runfiverun
03-14-2010, 10:33 AM
sheds make great knife handles as they have a knob on the end.
yard sales, swap meets and sometimes just seeing a set on the roof of a shed work pretty well.
the way i usually get them is to shoot a deer/elk and eat the rest. or find sheds while attempting to do so.

jcwit
03-14-2010, 12:17 PM
ATTN KNIFE MAKERS! Where do you get your antler material for handles?
I have a dozen or so blanks I need to turn into Period Correct Bowie knives.
TIA,
Duke

Very simple, google antler material for sale. First one up is Moscow fur and hide, they have all sorts of antlers for sale.

Hardcast416taylor
03-14-2010, 01:47 PM
I made a few Bowies using pieces of leg bones from a meat packing plant for beef. The bones needed bleaching and a bunch of other work, but they came out looking very authentic. For the price of beam antler of an elk, this is a possibality for you.Robert

Gunfixer
03-14-2010, 02:50 PM
www.jantzsupply.com
Good people to deal with. Been doing so 20 yrs. They also have a great selection of Dremel tool bits and sanding belts

Ohio Rusty
03-20-2010, 12:47 PM
I find sheds on occasion .... Ive also advertised to trade stuff for deer antlers.
Ohio Rusty ><>

76 WARLOCK
03-20-2010, 01:20 PM
I shoot the and eat them

Just Duke
07-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Thanks a bunch all.

garbear
07-10-2010, 12:17 AM
I get them from hunting sheds and ones I shoot. also look around some yard sells. I love antler for my knives.

fryboy
07-16-2010, 07:17 PM
what kind of antler do u want ? the coveted sambar ? the early american elk and deer ? i'm really hesitant to post this link but beings as u say u have several to do ....a tip ? it pays to look at several of their pages

http://www.elenhunting.com/

fatnhappy
07-16-2010, 09:29 PM
I shoot the and eat them

me too. I thought it was a trick question.

07-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Really wherever deer or elk are in early spring or whenever they shed a particular year in a particular area. Poke around that time of year. The best antler with fully hardened pedicel core is from sheds.... not cut off of skull plates. For the few crafts I do I just pick them up. Have a pretty good supply picked up here and there over the years. Certain years I pick them up here in my back pasture. For large flat slabs usually larger elk antler. For everything else just deer or elk antler. I don't particularly like older sheds or racks that have been outside on a shed roof for a few years. They age crack and loose color. For purchase, supply outlet ideas have been posted.

kbstenberg
07-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Does anyone need some deer antlers? I got some if you guyes needs some. Just pay the shipping. PM me with any of the specifics on how you want them.
Kevin

legend
07-17-2010, 06:39 PM
my local ACE HARDWARE has bones for dogs,,they are bleached,large,and would make great knifes....

just a thought....

fryboy
07-18-2010, 07:59 AM
my local ACE HARDWARE has bones for dogs,,they are bleached,large,and would make great knifes....

just a thought....

lolz i used to buy big soup bones for the dogs , they'd eat the meat n marrow and i'd get the bone , several knife handles and a few small derringer grips later i wonder why the dog i have now wont eat raw meat lolz