PDA

View Full Version : Springfield XD Ejection

Slick Pilot
03-13-2010, 11:39 PM
I use a plinking load that is a 195 grain Lee SWC over 4.1 grains of Bullseye. This load is mild and functions reliably in my 40 year old Colt Mark IV Series 70.

My friend has a new Springfield XD 45 ACP. It functions nicely with commercial ball ammo.

My plinking rounds did not eject from his XD, so I bumped it up to 4.6 grains of Bullseye. Same result. So, I increased the load to 4.9 grains of Bullseye - only .1 off maximum in the Lyman Cast Bullet manual.

This still does not eject from his XD.

Comments?

RobS
03-14-2010, 12:22 AM
XD's will not cycle SWC's very well if at all. I have never been able to find reliable feeding with a SWC as the ejecting brass always catches up on the shoulder (front drive band) of the SWC. It doesn't matter what COAL you try either. Others have had the same experience that you and your friend are having.

tactikel
03-14-2010, 01:43 AM
+1 on SWC not for the XD. The XD-45 is designed for FMJ and JHP. Mine has 5k rounds of these with NO jams. SWC will jam every time. I love Lee's 230 gr TC tumble lube boolits, have 2k rounds no jams!
:lovebooli

mpmarty
03-14-2010, 01:46 AM
Same here with my XD45. To hell with it! I've got two perfectly good 1911s why am I messing with a Croatian *** anyway?

sagacious
03-14-2010, 02:34 AM
Switch to a standard tc or rn bullet design, preferrably one with no shoulder at all (the LEE tumble-lube designs do have a slight shoulder). That should put an end to the malfunctions in your friend's Springfield XD.

fredj338
03-14-2010, 04:14 AM
Same here with my XD45. To hell with it! I've got two perfectly good 1911s why am I messing with a Croatian *** anyway?
Well, I am a huge 1911 fan, but the XD45 is a great shooting pistol.
To the OP, yep, SWC are not for the XD. SOme have been able to tinker w/ OAL & get them to work, but I gave up. Just shoot a truncated cone or RN & you'll be fine.

GabbyM
03-14-2010, 08:43 AM
We use the Magma 200 grain round nose flat point 45 colt revolver bullet with canalure in the XD pistols. 230 grain round nose are easy enough to find. For a flat point I have the Saeco #954 RNFP-FB in 230 grain which is another colt revolver bullet with canalure but feeds great in all 45's we've encountered. Did have one fellow struggling with his Taurus trying to find a good C.O.L. for them to feed at. Don't know how that turned out. I like a 200 gain bullet in the 45 acp. Gets the speed up over 900 fps to where you get some hydralic shock working for you.

XD pistols in 40 S&W have the same glitch with SWC bullets as the 45's.

Slick Pilot
03-14-2010, 10:45 AM
From my friend's description, it does not seem to be a feeding problem. He indicates the gun will not eject the load when fired.

spqrzilla
03-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Unfortunately, that does not really explain what is happening in enough detail.

anachronism
03-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Please do not tell my XD45 that it won't feed SWC. It doesn't know this yet.

Echo
03-14-2010, 12:53 PM
From my friend's description, it does not seem to be a feeding problem. He indicates the gun will not eject the load when fired.

I believe, from the above comments, he problem lies with the ejecting case catching on the next-to-load SWC boolit that is sitting in the mag, ready to be pushed into the chamber, and not with feeding.

GabbyM
03-14-2010, 01:01 PM

By design of the XD pistol the fired case head is dragged back across the top round in the magazine as it's extracted. Any edges on loaded round in magazine will snag the empty case head. Obviously now and then you'll get a stove pipe or other jam. Hope that's clear.

Springfield indeed knows all about this. Their standard line is to explain you know nothing about a real combat pistol. Their pistol is a COMBAT pistol designed for REAL MEN who only shoot BALL AMMO. My opinion on the issue is sort of well what ever. I like the H&G #68 200 grain SWC so much in a 45 ACP that I can't imagine owning a pistol that would not shoot it. But if you own an XD resign yourself to smooth sided bullets.

My 230 grain round nose is the RCBS copy of an H&G bullet with a very slight shoulder edge. Imagine you'd need to carefully crimp your brass also. But I'm just guessing their. This Magma 200 grain RNFP looks like the ticket in them for a 1000 fps load. It's a new to me mould and havent' done any accuracy testing with it as yet. Lee makes a 200 grain RF but I've no idea how it would load on an ACP. Lee's 230 gain TC bullet usaully makes a 240 grain bullet. For a 230 grain round nose the old Lyman ball profile #452374 would be a sure bet.

RobS
03-14-2010, 02:28 PM

XD's will not cycle SWC's very well if at all. I have never been able to find reliable feeding with a SWC as the ejecting brass always catches up on the shoulder (front drive band) of the SWC. It doesn't matter what COAL you try either. Others have had the same experience that you and your friend are having.

Yep you are right on what he said; the case being ejected.

dogbert41
03-14-2010, 02:31 PM
I too suffered the XD .45 swc frustrations. Since Springfield doesn't see it as a design flaw, I decided to revert back to 1911. I do love the 200 gr SWC.

sagacious
03-14-2010, 03:16 PM

Correct. Switch to a rn or tc design and the ejection malfunction will end.

A search will turn up others have posted the same question/problem with their XD. The hang-up is the swc shoulder of the topmost round in the mag catching the ejecting case. Switch bullet designs as advised above and your friend should be set.

DMCasts
03-14-2010, 05:33 PM
Make sure cast bullet sits flush when reloaded round sits flush at end of barrel when fished loaded round sit flush when dropped in at end of barrel.
Seat crimp at .470 to .471 at top of brass collarhttp://castboolits.gunloads.com

DMCasts
03-14-2010, 05:36 PM
I own an XD ACP .45. I know how finicky they are, but doing the homework they are flawless upon a reload session if you jnow the right things about them.

DMCasts
03-14-2010, 05:44 PM
..In other words, if casting you should be casting wider than specified "true" dimensions, then use a re-sizer to size down for uniformity for best optimal accurate and performance.

timkelley
03-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Please don't talk bad about my Croatian ***.

jimmeyjack
03-14-2010, 11:01 PM
..In other words, if casting you should be casting wider than specified "true" dimensions, then use a re-sizer to size down for uniformity for best optimal accurate and performance.

Sorry but even springer precision couldn't get my .45 to run swc. it has something to do with the new mag and the drag across the next round. I have an older xd that will run fine with em.

fredj338
03-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Please do not tell my XD45 that it won't feed SWC. It doesn't know this yet.
Then you have 1 of maybe 10 in the USA. Most have given up. Mine is maybe 8-%, & w/ each FTF, I get another dent in the rear of the mag, which only makes the FTf issue greater.

fredj338
03-14-2010, 11:42 PM
My 230 grain round nose is the RCBS copy of an H&G bullet with a very slight shoulder edge. Imagine you'd need to carefully crimp your brass also. But I'm just guessing their. This Magma 200 grain RNFP looks like the ticket in them for a 1000 fps load. It's a new to me mould and havent' done any accuracy testing with it as yet. Lee makes a 200 grain RF but I've no idea how it would load on an ACP. Lee's 230 gain TC bullet usaully makes a 240 grain bullet. For a 230 grain round nose the old Lyman ball profile #452374 would be a sure bet.
The Lee 200grFP will work, jusar watch your OAL, the XD has a sgort throat. The other great Magma mold is the 200grTC. Looks just like the 230gr but shorter shank, great bullet for any 45acp. I have now switched to casting those for all my 45acp needs including the various 1911s & my M625.

..In other words, if casting you should be casting wider than specified "true" dimensions, then use a re-sizer to size down for uniformity for best optimal accurate and performance]
If you are talking about the LFCD, sorry, doesn't work worht a **** w/ lea d bullets IMO. All it does is size the proper size bullet smaller. You can paly w/ OAL & crimp & maybe get 200grLSWC to feed in the XD, but even if it's 98%, each time the round FTF, then th mag gets a little kiss on the rear & evenetually, the mag will not drop free & the FTF rate will increase. The Magam 200grTC cuts almost as nice a hole as the 200grLSWC, bearing length is almost identical & no laod change has to be made going from one to the other except OAL.[smilie=p:

DMCasts
03-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Thing of it is. you can only achieve so much accuracy out of a stock barrel,,

.. You will untouhtably spend hundreds into making that gun into a shooting thing the way it should shoot. Trust me.