PDA

View Full Version : ebay burners

huesos
03-13-2010, 10:40 PM
I got my new pot, an eight inch round heavy wall column cutoff with a half inch square base and it is heavy. With all the scare talk of cracked dutch ovens, I waited until I could get this puppy. Now I need a burner that will support it full of lead. Ebay has two listed. One is a square frame. The other is circular. Any recommendations on strength?

RaymondMillbrae
03-13-2010, 11:59 PM
Brother,

I just picked-up a turkey fryer on Craigs List last week for $10.00.

Just use some good common sense (as per design strength), and look around for a good deal. Even if you have a pot that holds 50-pounds of lead, that doesn't mean that you will fill it up with 50-pounds at one shot.

I am also new to this whole lead-casting business, and I also picked-up an 8"W x 4"H cast iron pot the other day at a garage sale. (Found the ad on Craigs List as well). I walked away with it for $5.00!

So using California math, I paid $15.00 for my burner and pot.

When you are on Craigs List, use "key words" like:

Propane burner
Turkey fryer
Gas burner
Gas stove
Propane stove
Camping stove, etc...

Most folks are not too good at spelling or advertising their items, and will use all sorts of different "titles" to sell their belongings on Craig's List.

Like I said before, you do not have to fill up your pot when casting - so you don't need a super-human, heavy-duty, stand on your burner. Just fill it part way - then as it gets lower, slowly add a few more pieces of lead.

Personally, I am using the burner and cast iron pot to smelt my lead (flux/clean/purify it), and then cast it into 1 or 2 pound ingots. Then I get those cleaned-lead ingots (at a different time/different day) and place them in my Lee Pro 4-20 bottom pour pot, and cast my shotgun slugs.

Just food for thought...from another newbie.

In Christ: Raymond