PDA

View Full Version : Are new Rockchuckers built as good as old rockchuckers?

levallois
03-13-2010, 07:07 PM
I did a search and didn't find anything regarding this question. I'm in the market for a RC and wonder if I should buy used? Thanks!

John

1hole
03-13-2010, 09:04 PM
I have a 20+ year old RC 2. I wonder if you should buy one too: why?

If I had to replace my old press tomorrow I'd get an all steel Lee Classic Cast single stage. Bigger diameter ram, larger opening, stronger body, much better lever system and it drops spent primers into a bottle instead of on the floor It's made in the USA on modern CNC machinery instead of China and it still costs a LOT less.

Ozark Howler
03-13-2010, 10:42 PM
I would probably go with an older model RC, the current model (IV) is OK. but the primer catcher is kind of a poor design, its difficult to empty without spilling primers all over the place, and its capacity is somewhat smaller than the previous models. There also seems to be some issue regarding the castings now being imported.

Ebay is loaded with used Rockchuckers, and they are all basically indestructable.

I also agree with 1hole, the Lee Classic Cast is a nice press (I had one), the only thing I didn't like was the cheap plating used on the toggle assembly.

stubshaft
03-14-2010, 02:38 AM
I got mine in November of 1970. After shooting Silhouette, PPC, IPSC, Bullseye and High Power I have yet to wear it out.

1hole
03-14-2010, 10:26 AM
"Ebay is loaded with used Rockchuckers, and they are all basically indestructable."

All cast iron/steel presses are basically indestructable.

Presses are simple devices, used at very low speeds on the few moving parts. Keep the ram and toggle links sorta clean, add a little oil from time to time and any of them last three lifetimes of heavy use.

So will many of those with alum alloy bodies for that matter, it takes a lot of abuse and neglect to damage a press.

mtgrs737
03-14-2010, 12:18 PM
When I first started loading over 30 years ago a wise retired man who ran a reloading supply shop out of his back porch set me up with a new Rock Chucker press. It works as well today as it did back then. I have noticed that the new RC's linkage is a little sloppy by comparison to my older one, however I doubt that it makes any pratical difference. I had heard that RCBS was importing the castings for the frame at one time but no longer are doing so. I have no experiance with the Lee unit but I don't know why they would not be fine and at a better price. If I were in the market for a new press today I would look at a Lee, an older RCBS RC, and the Redding Big Boss or Turrent press. I think that I would not let price influence my choice as the press is a very important part of the reloading process that you will use alot. I clean and lube my press often using Mobil One synthetic motor oil 15w50 as it has ultra high film strength but any good motor oil will work.

buckweet
03-17-2010, 12:54 AM
i have three press's , a RCBS rockchucker, [its pretty old] and an even older lyman orange crusher, and a hornady quick change press.

i use the lyman the most. i just every now and then spray them down with CLP, and keep going.

dont thinks a person could wear out any of them.

yes flea bay, is loaded with used press's, my buddy bought a rcbs rock chucker last year for 60 bucks, it will last the rest of his life.

captaint
03-17-2010, 01:52 AM
And some other kid's life after that. I got a new RC in the late 70's. I have not begun to hurt mine. enjoy Mike

Ozark Howler
03-18-2010, 10:06 PM
My favorite RCBS press (no doubt) is the older 2A, its the cornerstone of my reloading bench.....