PDA

View Full Version : Is the Ruger Blackhawk 45 LC any good?

Marlin Hunter
03-13-2010, 12:32 AM
There is a USED Stainless Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Long Colt at a local gun shop. I think it has a 7 or 8 inch barrel. I really don't like Rugers, but this one seems to call me every time I go into the shop. I always ask to see it. I looked on the Ruger website and can't find anything. There website is a mess. There are also too many Ruger single action revolver models for me to know exactly which one it is.

They are asking $550 for it. Is this a good price? What do you think of these revolvers?

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
03-13-2010, 12:40 AM
I own a Blackhawk in 357 mag and love it. It is a great shooter. $550 for a used one seems kinda high, but I may be wrong. I judge prices by online gun stores and the going rate online for a plain jane 7.5" blackhawk in 45 colt is about $420 (impact guns.com). Stainless....add about $100. Hope this helps!

spqrzilla
03-13-2010, 12:58 AM
If you want to play with the .45 Colt cartridge, which can be great fun with heavy bullets, then the Ruger Blackhawk is a great platform to shoot it in.

I might balk a bit at the price myself too however. I came close to buying one blued for $400 recently but ended up with the 4 5/8 inch barrel.

stubshaft
03-13-2010, 02:06 AM
It's a great gun! I have put thousands of rounds through my 4 5/8" BH. It IS high priced. You could get a NIB Lipsey special for $485 + S&H.

buck1
03-13-2010, 02:13 AM
It's a great gun! I have put thousands of rounds through my 4 5/8" BH. It IS high priced. You could get a NIB Lipsey special for $485 + S&H.
GREAT GUN! So so price. It will out last you, your kids and thier kids! :Fire:

MT Gianni
03-13-2010, 02:35 AM
I think you could get a new one for that. IMO it would be worth it.

hickstick_10
03-13-2010, 03:00 AM
short of freedom arms, you wil be hard pressed to find a better 45 colt at ANY price compared to a ruger blackhawk

44man
03-13-2010, 09:41 AM
You might have to lap the throats on a .45 but the Ruger will shoot as good as any revolver on earth.
For the price, I would just buy a new one. The barrel will be 7-1/2", perfect all around length. 5" is good for a backup gun.

timkelley
03-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Price pretty high.

Thumbcocker
03-13-2010, 12:58 PM
I bet you could get a convertible with the .45 acp cylnder for less if you shopped around. The .45 acp is a good plinking load for the blackhawk.

Marlin Hunter
03-13-2010, 01:20 PM
I forgot to mention that I live in California, and we can't buy new handguns were the manufacturer has not PAID A FEE to have their guns tested by the DOJ and put on a list of "safe" guns. The listing method is ridiculous. ANY slight change in the gun causes it to be considered another model and needs to go through another test (and fee). It doesn't matter what the change is. If the barrel is a different length, if there are different colored sights or night sights, if the finish on the gun is dull or shiny, everything is a change and makes it a new gun. I believe the test costs $10,000 each. not too many manufacturers want to pay $10,000 for each model the sell in this state. The Ruger I was looking at is not on the list. Old guns that were here before the list went into effect are OK to sell, but only face to face transfers at the dealer. Older hanguns sell for 20-30% higher in this state than they would in any other state. A friend of mine just sold a brand new (1988 era) Colt King Cobra .357 6" barrel for, I think, $1200.

From the list, these are the new Rugers that come close to what I was looking at. Expiration date is shown at the end, then another extortion fee must bee paid.

KRH-455 / Stainless Steel Revolver 5.5" .45 Long Colt 12/31/2010
KSRH-7454 / Stainless Steel Revolver 7.5" .454 Casull 12/31/2010

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Daves1
03-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Bought a used Blackhawk in .41 mag for $375.00 recently, you can do better.

Crash_Corrigan
03-13-2010, 01:29 PM
I have a Ruger BH new model with a 4 5/8 bbl and an extra .45 CAP cylinder. The seller claimed that it was original. It came with a brass frame and stag grips.

The price was reasonable ($325) and I bought the gun. Too late I tried to use the extra cylinder and it does not work in this gun. I called Ruger and with the serial number I found that the gun was shipped from the factory with a 7 1/2 bbl and a blue steel frame. It was not a convertible. It did not have a brass frame. It did not have a 4 5/8 bbl.

All that being said it is a great shooter. The chambers measure .454 and the forcing cone is in good shape and measures at .453. The cylinder gap is only .004 and the thing is dead nuts accurate with cast boolits cast sized to .452. I use straight ww's and they squish up enuf to prevent gas cutting and this gun does not lead up at all if I keep the velocity reasonable.

The only down side is that the grips are huge for my dainty hand. I need to get this thing sanded down some and maybe send it back to Ruger to have the cylinder fitted to the gun. Another long term project.

The price that your seller wants seems a bit high. If it was an Old Model with the good trigger and no transfer bar I might consider it but if it is a new model with the transfer bar and less than stellar trigger I would go buy another.

Wireman134
03-13-2010, 01:59 PM
But the 45 Colt is a fine chamber for a sixgun. That is what you pay for in Cal., seems $100 too much for used. The shop probably got it for $350 or less in a trade. Haggle with the seller...

03-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Marlin Hunter,
I live in California, too. Last year, I bought a 30-year-old, 6 1/2", blue .357 Blackhawk from an out-of-state seller for $300. Transfer went through my local dealer.

Check the auction sites, as that one is priced wrong.

JDFuchs
03-13-2010, 02:16 PM
for Christmas I got a brand new blued 357/9mm black hawk. And I don't think ill ever let it go. Cost only about $550 hear in CO

ReloaderFred
03-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Marlin Hunter,

Single action revolvers are exempt from the DOJ approval process in California. Boyd Davis, the owner of EMF, lobbied hard with the various attorney generals to get them exempted, and he was successful. If your dealer is telling you otherwise, he's misinformed. You can check the CADOJ website for the list, and it says SA revolvers are exempted.

You can buy new Ruger Blackhawks in California.

Hope this helps.

Fred

RayinNH
03-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Marlin, a little confusion on my part here. Your opening post you mentioned a Blackhawk. That price is too high for a used Blackhawk. In one of your other post you gave stock numbers for Redhawk revolvers. That price for a used Redhawk is okay, not terrific, but okay. The Blackhawk is a single action, the Redhawk is a double action. In any case the .45 Colt in a Ruger is a very good combination...Ray

Gee_Wizz01
03-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Here in NE FL pistols are higher than most places in the south, but a NIB Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in 45 Colt/45ACP are going for 549 +tax in blue. A convertible in Stainless was $125 more. So your price seems high. They are great pistols and are safe to carry with 6 rounds in the cylinder. Mine are a lot more accurate than I am capable of shooting. I noticed the prices you quoted in your later posts are for Redhawks, and that is a fair price for a good used Redhawk.

G

HammerMTB
03-13-2010, 10:53 PM
I have a NM BH in .45 Colt 4-5/8" bbl.
Love the gun. I was in line to go in a gun show and an old gent showed up with it. He had the brass from the only box of shells it had fired. He had bad arthritis, so it hurt him to shoot it. He sold it to me for $400.
I already had a handcannon, a 9-1/2" SRH, but this is so much more packable. And it will shoot loads from gentle cowboy to heavy magnum

So the SRH is set up to do longer range work (scope) and the .45 fits nicely in a piece of leather on my hip.

Find another one, tho. That price is WAY too high.

Snyd
03-14-2010, 01:22 AM
Everyones telling you the price is too high but no one knows FOR SURE what model it is. Heck, it could be limited run "bright" stainless. It could be a 45 Colt Hunter. Find out what the exact model is. Is it a Bisley or regular grip frame? Is it a Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk or Redhawk? Are you sure it's a 7.5 inch barrel and not a 5.5?

grumman581
03-14-2010, 02:22 AM
So, which is stronger? The Blackhawk or the Redhawk? I have a Redhawk in .44mag, but I don't shoot it much. I bought it off of a Vietnamese co-worker (kind of small guy) who fired a box (or less) through it and decided it was too much gun for him. I don't remember what I paid for it, but at the time, I thought it was a pretty good deal.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_uIFPb2HleBU/R2cwMpASCcI/AAAAAAAACUM/iIc6SAXq0g0/s800/ruger-redhawk.jpg

Marlin Hunter
03-14-2010, 03:03 AM
Marlin, a little confusion on my part here. Your opening post you mentioned a Blackhawk. That price is too high for a used Blackhawk. In one of your other post you gave stock numbers for Redhawk revolvers. That price for a used Redhawk is okay, not terrific, but okay. The Blackhawk is a single action, the Redhawk is a double action. In any case the .45 Colt in a Ruger is a very good combination...Ray

I am pretty sure it was a Blackhawk. It is single action only. I did not know that single actions were exempt from the DOJ list, so when I looked on the list those stock numbers were the only ones listed close to what I was looking for.

Marlin Hunter
03-14-2010, 03:04 AM
Marlin Hunter,

Single action revolvers are exempt from the DOJ approval process in California. Boyd Davis, the owner of EMF, lobbied hard with the various attorney generals to get them exempted, and he was successful. If your dealer is telling you otherwise, he's misinformed. You can check the CADOJ website for the list, and it says SA revolvers are exempted.

You can buy new Ruger Blackhawks in California.

Hope this helps.

Fred

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!!

shotman
03-14-2010, 03:42 AM
It about time someone in CA is working for you all. as stated you may find a convertable on line for less but if you like the gun buy it. I had one and it done a good job. The older ones are better than to junk that Ruger puts out now. Had 2 super reds and both were junk both were sent back twice Last one still had the shells in the cylinder that I couldnt get out

nicholst55
03-14-2010, 03:51 AM
I have a Ruger BH new model with a 4 5/8 bbl and an extra .45 CAP cylinder. The seller claimed that it was original. It came with a brass frame and stag grips.

The price was reasonable ($325) and I bought the gun. Too late I tried to use the extra cylinder and it does not work in this gun. I called Ruger and with the serial number I found that the gun was shipped from the factory with a 7 1/2 bbl and a blue steel frame. It was not a convertible. It did not have a brass frame. It did not have a 4 5/8 bbl.

All that being said it is a great shooter. The chambers measure .454 and the forcing cone is in good shape and measures at .453. The cylinder gap is only .004 and the thing is dead nuts accurate with cast boolits cast sized to .452. I use straight ww's and they squish up enuf to prevent gas cutting and this gun does not lead up at all if I keep the velocity reasonable.

The only down side is that the grips are huge for my dainty hand. I need to get this thing sanded down some and maybe send it back to Ruger to have the cylinder fitted to the gun. Another long term project.

The price that your seller wants seems a bit high. If it was an Old Model with the good trigger and no transfer bar I might consider it but if it is a new model with the transfer bar and less than stellar trigger I would go buy another.

Crash, if that brass grip frame is an original Ruger product, they sell used for over $300 regularly! That would make having to do any additional work to that gun a whole lot more palatable!

missionary5155
03-14-2010, 04:37 AM
Good morning
Go to Gunbroker.com for REAL price checks. Make a cpoy of a similar SOLD Ruger and take it to your dealer. Smile and say.. That is the competion. I have seen Blue 45 Colts sell for $255 in 90% condition 7.5 " with scope mount. Thatīs what I paid for my last one 7 months ago.
Also you may be looking at one of those rare only 25 were made models. Ruger collectors (NOT Shooters) are always thinking about winning the "Table Award" at big shows.. bragging rights.
I have been shooting Rugers for since I was 12. My dad had them and so do I. They work. you may need to fix one up a bit (cylinder throats or trigger) but they will take all the sane reloading you can put to them. My first 41 mag is still digesting any 240 grain loas I care to shoot. My 45 Colt realy chews up 19 grains 2400 with the Lee 265 fnpb. What more do I need ?

44man
03-14-2010, 10:44 AM
The RH is stronger then the BH and the SRH is stronger then both.
I found the RH is finicky for loads but the SRH is not. The BH is in between. I rate them for accuracy with the SRH first, the BH next and the RH last.
Now the BH is stronger then you will ever need anyway so it is a moot point. It also can be made so accurate it is scary.
Ruger's need a little work, mostly triggers. After trigger work I have seen new out of box Ruger's shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yards with cast. The .45 MIGHT need throat work.
Now Ruger has screwed up now and then, like the SRH in .480 with a six shot cylinder, should have been five. Should have been a five shot .475 anyway to start with.
Strength of a BH!!!! My friend bought a new .45 Vaquero and his load info for the 335 gr LBT was to start at 19 and work up for accuracy and pressure signs. I WILL NOT TELL YOU WHAT HE LOADED TO without pressure signs but it rivaled the .454.
Another fella I know with a .41 forgot the powder in one shell and lodged the boolit in the bore, then shot a full house load behind it. It ruined the gun, expanding the cylinder and top strap up breaking his scope but the cylinder DID NOT SPLIT. He never got a scratch and didn't even know until he tried to cock it again. The very best is that Ruger sold him a new gun at their cost, just how great is that?

felix
03-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Must give credit to the new steel that was developed to allow 6 shots instead of 5. Can you spell tough 6 times? No doubt he got another gun from the corporate advertising budget. The gun is prolly hanging in a lobby frame either at Ruger or the steel company. ... felix

jh45gun
03-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Is the Ruger Blackhawk 45 LC any good?

DEPENDS some are good some bad.

jtaylor1960
03-14-2010, 07:10 PM
I just bought a 45 Colt Blackhawk in stainless.It has a 4 5/8" barrel.I had a Bisley Blackhawk.I had accuracy problems with it .Mainly because of the original throat and chamber dimensions.I am hoping the new gun is better.I wanted a woods gun for off season and maybe a hunting gun for deer.

45r
03-14-2010, 09:21 PM
I like my bisley hunter in 41 mag.It will shoot 2 1/2 inch groups at 75 yards.I've been asked if I want to sale it several times.The only thing I don't like is it thumps my knuckle with heavy loads using 255 grain boolits.I've never liked the blackhawk grip unless it had a pac rubber grip.If you get a 45 colt check out the cylinder throats,some are too small and too big is worse.That is one of the reasons I got a 41,the throats were perfect.

leadeye
03-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Have three Blackhawks in 45 LC, excellent revolvers.:castmine:

willk
03-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Own a stainless Blackhawk in .45 Colt with a 4 5/8" barrel. Great gun. Would not trade it for anything. While we own many Rugers, this Blackhawk and our Super Blackhawk Hunter are my two favorites.

They may be a bit rough around the edges, but for less than $2000.00, it is hard to beat a Ruger.

jh45gun
03-14-2010, 10:59 PM
it is hard to beat a Ruger.

Not really! Sure they are great guns when good but if you buy a new one OR A USED ONE and have to have it gun smithed to fix Ruger's mistakes I just cannot abide by that kinda stuff anymore.

Snyd
03-15-2010, 01:29 AM
The only difference between the Blackhawk and Super blackhawk is the grip frame. SBH's are steel. Frame, cylinders and barrels are the same. The Redhawk is beefier all around. Cylinders are longer in the Redhawk as well so they can handle longer/heavier boolits and the walls are much thicker. I can take pics of my 45 Colts, SBH Hunter, RH if you want to see. But for now, here's a Super Blackhawk 44 mag next to a Redhawk 45 Colt. But, they are all strong muthas! There's a reason Linebaugh and others will only use the SA Rugers for their bigbore conversions. And some only on Bisleys. The frames can handle the pressure.

http://homepage.mac.com/perryschneider/.Pictures/sbh_srh/sbhsrh_01.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/perryschneider/.Pictures/sbh_srh/sbhsrh_02.jpg

bigboredad
03-15-2010, 03:54 PM
I have 2 convertible .45 blackhawks and love them. when it comes reloading them you can go from pussycat loads to loads that will straighten your hair and they are more accurate out of the box than most shooters can shoot them. they are alot of fun and can do most anything you will ever need a handgun to do

grumman581
03-15-2010, 04:03 PM
The Redhawk is beefier all around. Cylinders are longer in the Redhawk as well so they can handle longer/heavier boolits and the walls are much thicker.

I noticed from the photo that you posted that the indentations in the cylinders are pointed in opposite directions. Does the Redhawk and Blackhawk cylinders rotate in opposite directions?

HammerMTB
03-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Not Synd, but I will interject-
yes, the cylinders rotate in opposite directions.
When I take both out to shoot, it always messes with my head..... :veryconfu

I noticed from the photo that you posted that the indentations in the cylinders are pointed in opposite directions. Does the Redhawk and Blackhawk cylinders rotate in opposite directions?

Four Fingers of Death
03-15-2010, 11:35 PM
I have two Blackhawks, both 44Mags, an old 10 1/2" Superblackhawk (which will get lopped to 7 1/2" I thiink) and a 5 1/2" New Model Super Blackhawk (stainless). Both excellent guns. I also imported a pair of 45Colt/APC convertibles which traded recently. I regret this decision and have picked up a near new one which I will get soon.

Absolutely bog reliable, accurate and generally all round excellent guns. Bombproof.

tek4260
03-16-2010, 12:14 AM
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_1281.jpg

Any good???

25 yards and 93 yards
325K by LBT sized .452
23.0gr H-110

Snyd
03-16-2010, 12:25 AM
That should do it!

44man
03-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Tec4260, great, that shows what a Ruger can do and open sights too.
Why haven't you posted pictures before? [smilie=l:
If all of you will take note, the Ruger .45 has the correct twist rate of 1 in 16" unlike other makers. Others are as slow as 1 in 24".
If one gets the dimensions correct, the Ruger .45 is so easy to make shoot with about any decent boolit. They are worth the little work needed and it all can be done at home at no cost.
I have owned a dozen or so Rugers over the years and only had one bad one, a Mark II that Ruger replaced with no questions. Most eventually sold to buy more guns, never could afford to keep everything. :-(
My opinion is that it is rare to get a bad one and if I do, it is easy to sell and I would buy another at the drop of a hat.
Gun makers are like wash machine, TV, car or makers of any product you spend money on and none of them get every single item perfect.

jh45gun
03-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Gun makers are like wash machine, TV, car or makers of any product you spend money on and none of them get every single item perfect.

Odd with all the guns I have now or had over the years Ruger's are the only ones I had more than one issue with. Yea I have had good ones too but the bad ones were enough to make me not happy with the brand. Out of 4 Single actions two good two bad that's not a good record. Only two other gun companies I have had a problem with Henry who fixed the problem and they paid for the shipping too and I have a Remington 742 that was given to me because I told the guy about the receiver issues and he did not want to gype anyone. That gun I made into a straight pull action to save what receiver was left. If a person wants to take a chance fine. Money is too tight for me to take an other chance unless I got one heck of a steal on one and even then I would have to think twice about it.

tek4260
03-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Well that revolver had been fired less than 10 times before those groups(lack of turn line). I have others and have tinkered with them, so when I put this one together I knew what to change in advance. On this one, I opened throats to .452, cut forcing cone to 11deg, soldered on a .595 Ruger sight(heavy boolits in a 45 will shoot way high without doing this), installed a light trigger return along with a heavier hammer spring. I also removed about half of the sear/hammer engagement and polished. Installed a Super GF, hammer, and trigger.
The next shot was a doe at 79 yards. Hit exactly where I wanted, behind the shoulder. A few weeks later I took one at 150 yards. It was one of those take it or leave it shots right at dark. I knew I didn't want to trail it, so I shot about mid neck. Saw the deer fall as the revolver recoiled. I don't recommend shooting that far, but I felt confident in the revolver. There is no way I'd try that with one that didn't shoot as well as this one.

Here is another one I hope shoots well. It is a 45 Blackhawk that has a rechambered 44 Super cylinder. Barrel cut from 7.5 to 4 5/8. Chambers are cut tight so it should be able to take a bit more H-110 without overworking the brass. Also has tall sight, 11 deg forcing cone, Super hammer, steel grip frame and ejector housing. Heavy for sure.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_1654.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_1656.jpg

And of course everyone needs a homemade 4 5/8 Bisley two tone in 45 with all the accuracy trics done.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_0245.jpg

...along with many other OM and NM Rugers..

I am currently playing with a 475 BFR and thinking seriously about buying a FA Premier in 475. But, I will always have a soft spot for 45's..... Then there is the FA 97 in 45.... This will get expensive...

jh45gun
03-16-2010, 10:52 AM
If all of you will take note, the Ruger .45 has the correct twist rate of 1 in 16" unlike other makers. Others are as slow as 1 in 24".

Ah that's pretty misleading as your inferring that only Ruger has a correct twist rate of 1 in 16. For your information Uberti's twist rate in 45 Colt is also 1 in 16 and I got this right from Uberti I called them after I read your post. Not sure who your talking about that has the 1 in 24 twist rate but it is NOT Uberti.

jh45gun
03-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Well that revolver had been fired less than 10 times before those groups(lack of turn line). I have others and have tinkered with them, so when I put this one together I knew what to change in advance. On this one, I opened throats to .452, cut forcing cone to 11deg, soldered on a .595 Ruger sight(heavy boolits in a 45 will shoot way high without doing this), installed a light trigger return along with a heavier hammer spring. I also removed about half of the sear/hammer engagement and polished. Installed a Super GF, hammer, and trigger.
The next shot was a doe at 79 yards. Hit exactly where I wanted, behind the shoulder. A few weeks later I took one at 150 yards. It was one of those take it or leave it shots right at dark. I knew I didn't want to trail it, so I shot about mid neck. Saw the deer fall as the revolver recoiled. I don't recommend shooting that far, but I felt confident in the revolver. There is no way I'd try that with one that didn't shoot as well as this one.

Here is another one I hope shoots well. It is a 45 Blackhawk that has a rechambered 44 Super cylinder. Barrel cut from 7.5 to 4 5/8. Chambers are cut tight so it should be able to take a bit more H-110 without overworking the brass. Also has tall sight, 11 deg forcing cone, Super hammer, steel grip frame and ejector housing. Heavy for sure.

And of course everyone needs a homemade 4 5/8 Bisley two tone in 45 with all the accuracy trics done.

I am currently playing with a 475 BFR and thinking seriously about buying a FA Premier in 475. But, I will always have a soft spot for 45's..... Then there is the FA 97 in 45.... This will get expensive...

Nice guns and I am glad you clarified that the guns are NOT STOCK. Be interesting to see BEFORE and AFTER Pictures of your groups before you did the work on that particular pistol. Which is my argument here I have stated all along that Ruger should sell guns that you do not need to gunsmith to get them to shoot well. If folks want to do that fine but I figure all your doing is correcting Ruger's MISTAKES.

txbirdman
03-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Did you build this gun from a SBH? It looks like it has the SBH grip frame.

skimmerhead
03-16-2010, 11:47 AM
the ruger black hawk is a great gun i own several, one is a new model black conv. in 45lc and 45 acp one of the best all around fun guns to shoot. but the price is high in my opion, maybe do a little research before you take the plunge. hope this helps. skimmerhead

tek4260
03-16-2010, 01:30 PM
The 45 with the groups pictured has a SBH GF, hammer and trigger. I have a few sets laying around that I have picked up from Gunbroker and Rugerforum.com. That revolver is a late '09 production gun. The one with the white grips has a regular Blackhawk frame, XR3-RED, from a Vaquero and is a mid 80's vintage gun.

As far as mods and group size, I figure they cut it in half. The only real mod is the throats and forcing cone as far as "accuracy" is concerned. For a couple hundred dollars, you can have the tools to do this at home. Then you can sell them and recoup all but maybe $25 of your original investment. Of course, the front sight needs replacing and it costs $5 from Brownells. Otherwise, it will shoot 6" high at 25 yds with the rear sight bottomed out. Hard to take the top off a beer bottle when you have to aim at the ground.:smile:

The other mods I did were based purely on my tastes and have no real affect on accuracy. Just "shootability" for me.

jh45gun
03-16-2010, 07:46 PM
As far as mods and group size, I figure they cut it in half. The only real mod is the throats and forcing cone as far as "accuracy" is concerned. For a couple hundred dollars, you can have the tools to do this at home. Then you can sell them and recoup all but maybe $25 of your original investment.

More money then I would want to spend to do it myself what would a gunsmith charge? It still gets down to the fact that RUGER should have done it right first.

44man
03-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Ah that's pretty misleading as your inferring that only Ruger has a correct twist rate of 1 in 16. For your information Uberti's twist rate in 45 Colt is also 1 in 16 and I got this right from Uberti I called them after I read your post. Not sure who your talking about that has the 1 in 24 twist rate but it is NOT Uberti.
No, I said "others", not all. Freedom has 1 in 24". I don't remember what Colt has. US firearms doesn't show specs so I don't know about them. Marlin has a 1 in 16" but then they flopped with the .44.
If you know what the others are please let me know.

tek4260
03-16-2010, 08:07 PM
More money then I would want to spend to do it myself what would a gunsmith charge? It still gets down to the fact that RUGER should have done it right first.

Well even if you double my group size, its not bad for a $360 wholesale revolver. Most people don't shoot enough to get good groups and like to blame it on the firearm. I went through 3 pounds of H110 just last summer getting ready for deer season and plan on using a bit more this summer.

Here is a group from 2008, shot from the Bisley I made up. At this point, I had only changed the grip frame and installed a taller sight. The load in this one is a Cast Performance 265 WFNGC over somewhere around 20gr of IMR-4227. I believe this is a 35 yard group. So I feel safe saying this is what a new handgun shooter should expect at that range with a factory Blackhawk.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/100_0656.jpg

FWIW, if one wants an exceptionally well built Ruger get a 50th 44 Flattop. I have several and they are all head and shoulders above a regular Blackhawk in the fit and finish dept. Actually they are everybit as tight as a BFR IMHO...

jh45gun
03-16-2010, 08:51 PM
44 man I do not know what the others are I did check with Uberti after your post to see if they were 1 in 16 and they are.

jh45gun
03-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Tek You say 360 dollar revolver but you have lots more into it from what you say with tooling and such. Plus the fact that no one usually gets them wholesale they pay the market price. Which is what around 500 bucks now? Then add your tooling cost its getting up there in price. I do agree with ya that to shoot a handgun you have to shoot a lot to be good with them.