PDA

View Full Version : Questions - air fed star sizer

old_haidouk
03-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Have had a Star sizer for a while, thinking about the air feed. How much faster is it to add lube? Can I make it work with 2 sticks or more? Thanks

MT Chambers
03-12-2010, 11:55 PM
I have a couple with the air driven unit and it is prolly no faster to change lubes and unless your lube sticks are very short, you can't stuff more in there. The air unit simply keeps an even pressure on the lube and you don't have to crank anything, just keep sizing. Depending on the lube you are using, you still have to co-ordinate the amount of heat to keep things running smooth

cbrick
03-13-2010, 11:05 PM
old haidouk, Welcome to the forum. :drinks:

I highly recommend the air pressure unit. Yes, you can add more lube with it BUT you must first block the air bleed hole on the rear of the lube cylinder. I used a piece of rubber held in place tightly with a hose clamp. The key word there is "tightly", don't ask how I know. Heat your lube in a pan to just barely runny and pour it into the Star and you'll have no trapped air pockets in the resovoir. Screw on the air pressure unit and your good to go.

Rick

mastercast.com
03-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Try it and you will love it. No cranking to pressurize the lube.

Save a few bucks and get the Digital Temperature control...It makes it run perfectly.

The last I knew, I had the first Digital Temperature control from Magma Enginerring for the Star lube sizer. Works great. I asked them to make it and they did!

AbitNutz
03-14-2010, 11:25 AM
I have a Star with the digital temp and the bullet feeder. I've not tried the air pressure system even though I have a 5 1/2 hp Ingersoll-Rand compressed air system for the air tools I use in my home garage. I couldn't live with out air tools or my Mohawk car lift! I guess I should finally marry the two passions and tell my wife they're all the same things; fast cars/motorcycles and guns.

duckndawg
03-14-2010, 06:17 PM
I just put an air cylinder on mine. I would like to know from those of you that have one, what psi are you useing? right now i have javalina lube in it. i will be useing white labels 2500 lube. i have it set at 50 psi and i'm getting lube on the nose, but i know the sizer needs alittle adjustment for height yet.

MT Chambers
03-14-2010, 07:20 PM
I've always left mine around 60 psi as they recommend, I play around more with the adjust of the punch and/or heat, sometimes there's nothing you can do as the bullet is too small for the die.

Springfield
03-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Changing the lube is definitely faster. Unscrew the air cylinder coller, yank it out of there and add lube. Screw it back down, done! The old way you had to unscrew the collar off, then reverse it and screw it into the piston, and then yank. And the air makes things much more consistant with large batches. I tend to run more pressure less heat, so my air cylinder is usually over 100 psi.

cajun shooter
03-17-2010, 09:03 AM
You don't have to have a air compressor to run one. You don't use the air just the pressure so a regular $20 air tank purchased from a parts store will work.I have been sizing and lubing bullets on the same tank for over a month now. This way you can do this inside and SWMBO will not even think you are doing anything. You can fill your tank if needed at a station or put a small compressor outside for those very seldom needed fills.

old_haidouk
03-17-2010, 12:12 PM
mastercast,

I talked to the nice lady at Magma today and she said she'd never heard of the Digital temperature controller for the Star lubri sizer. Did you get it from them? Thanks everyone for your help.