PDA

View Full Version : Moly Coating?

Rather-B-Huntin
03-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Wondering if anyone has tried Moly Coating their cast boolits?

I'm using a Lee 452-228-1R, WW's, LLA, and water quenching. I have Moly Coated jacketed bullets before but am wondering if it will work with lead? If I try it, should I eliminate the LLA, or leave it?

RobS
03-12-2010, 09:39 PM
I tried this in the 45 auto out of curosity and found that it would work at low velocities (650 fps) any faster and I ended up with leading. You can add alox to it and it helps, but then again you can just use alox and achieve similar/better results. The bullets will have to be water quenched as they will ding up too badly if they are air cooled.

IMO it is more work than I wanted to do and the powder moly was too much of a mess as it would migrate to everything.

runfiverun
03-12-2010, 09:51 PM
a friend of mine moly coats most all his cast he uses 20-1 for most everything and somtimes has a bear of a time finding the right combo, but he makes it work for him.

sagacious
03-13-2010, 12:09 AM
There's little point in both moly-coating and applying Alox. The advatange of Alox is it's speed and ease of application-- lengthening the process largely defeats the purpose.

I moly-coat some of my 22, 9mm, 44, and 45cal bullets. It works fine. But like everything else of course, one has to get it right. It's easy to "mess up" any lube job, be it Alox, wax, or moly powder.

If you want to try moly on cast, give it a go and realize fully that you're starting at the beginning. You may expect to have successes and failures, so keep track of what works for your guns as you progress.

Good luck. :drinks:

StarMetal
03-13-2010, 01:09 AM
You fellows might want to read this:

http://www.bench-talk.com/blogs/stan_ware/archive/2009/12/13/boron-nitride-bn-or-more-specifically-hexagonal-boron-nitride-hbn-use-by-shooters.aspx

I hear it's lots better then moly and many are starting to use it.

shotman
03-13-2010, 03:20 AM
I use the moly in the Lee lube and it works good for every thing. If you heat the lube it will dry and is not messy. have run 500 at a time in a 45acp and have no real build up . I does tend to to blacken a stainless wheel gun faster but cleans up easy too
about a tea spoon in one of the Lee bottles and will last a loooong time

lawhetzel
03-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Same as "shotman." It works for me.

leadman
03-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Starmetal, wonder if that would work on cast? Might have to do some investigating.

Wayne S
03-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Starmetal, wonder if that would work on cast? Might have to do some investigating.
I was about to ask, what effects & results anyone has had moly coating RIFLE cast bullets >>AND to say I just ordered 2 OZ. of the HCPL BN. I should have it next week for testing

stubshaft
03-16-2010, 02:01 AM
I tried the old moly lube kit that Brownells sold years ago for 38 wadcutters. It worked fine but ultimately had no advantage over LLA or regular loobing. IMHO

mike in co
03-16-2010, 02:13 AM
You fellows might want to read this:

http://www.bench-talk.com/blogs/stan_ware/archive/2009/12/13/boron-nitride-bn-or-more-specifically-hexagonal-boron-nitride-hbn-use-by-shooters.aspx

I hear it's lots better then moly and many are starting to use it.

stan know of what he speaks...the issue at this time is i have no heard from the company that has been given the task of putting together consumer packages of the product.

i'm big on moly on jacketed bullets, and am looking forward to bn.

mike in co

Wayne S
03-16-2010, 09:37 AM
Hi Wayne,

The Boron Nitride is a new item for us, and it has not made it to the web site. If you want, you can contact me toll free to order by calling (877) 996-9645

Thanks,

Tom Madden
TAI Lubricants
PO Box 1579
Hockessin, DE 19707
USA
(302) 326-0200
(302) 326-0400 fax
nyoil@aol.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Boron Nitride

Hi Wayne,

Thank you for your interest in our line of Boron Nitride powders. Price for the two grades are as follows.

Grade AC6111 (Bore treament)

1/2 oz. jar: $7.95
1 oz. jar: $13.95

Grade HCPL (Bullet Coating)

1 oz. jar: $9.95
2 oz. jar: $16.95

There is no minimum order. All are in stock and can ship the same day you order. We accept Visa/MasterCard or you can mail a check or money order after you receive your order. Please check out our web site, www.lubekits.com to review some of the best gun oils and greases we have been selling to the gun, knife and fishing industry for over 10 years. You can't find these synthetic lubricants at any retail store.

felix
03-16-2010, 10:56 AM
It's advantage over moly is that it is more chemically inert, which means bore swabbing becomes less of a factor in practical use. It has been used in very high grade cosmetics to "liquify" waxy products for a much smoother application. Would be an excellent addition to a hard lube for the same reason. But, treat this additive as you would a motor mica additive. It works on the same principal as any ceramic, so guard against breathing the dust. ... felix

A very excellent use would be to burnish it into the pores of molds. ... felix

Wayne S
03-16-2010, 11:50 AM
... felix

A very excellent use would be to burnish it into the pores of molds. ... felix
Might be a use for the "bore prep" as a mold release ?? guess it's just one of thoses things one has to try

StarMetal
03-16-2010, 03:47 PM
I knew some of you guys would appreciate. Seems like a better product then the moly coat.

What's the difference is grit/mesh size between the bore coat and bullet coat products?