PDA

View Full Version : First day at the range ths year!

sniper
03-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Temperature, ~ 48 deg. Wind, 5-8mph, light to moderate ground fire!:mrgreen:
Ruger 257 Roberts, 50 yards, because I was too lazy to set it all up again on the
100 yard range.
15.3 gr. 2400, (the UNIVERSAL remedy? ;-)) 100 gr Montana Bulletworks GC boolit: 11/8". Boolit seated .015 into the lands. Boolit set .010 into the lands, group was 1 1/2 in.

22.3 gr. H4895 = 1 1/8" , same boolit set .010 into the lands. They opened up to
1 5/8 in. seated .015 into the lands.
Hmmmm...

No idea of fps, but they shot about to poa for my full-house hunting loads at 100 yds.
Got my two rimfire pistols sighted in, after adding sights to aid my old eyes. A good thing!

Except for somebody stealing the magazine for my Ruger pistol, altogether a good day!

Woops! Cancel! Cancel! I found the missing magazine...hiding on my loading bench. I'd forgotten I left it there, and when I counted my magazines, it was absent. A relief, that is! I just hate it when that happens!

Can you say Senior Moment?

mpmarty
03-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Theft at an open gun range? Huge huevos!

Shiloh
03-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Except for somebody stealing the magazine for my Ruger pistol, altogether a good day!:)

What a crummy thing to do. Fortunately it is replaceable for about $22

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RSC&Category_Code=M

SHiloh

quack1
03-12-2010, 11:27 PM
I went out to the range for the first time this year a couple days ago. The several feet of snow we had on the ground was melting pretty good this week so I thought I'd take a couple of pistols and shred a target or two. There was a snow drift in front of the benches that was still over knee deep and the target boards at 25 yards had blown over and were under at least a foot of snow. I ended up shooting at a cartridge box I found in the trash can. Set it up on the backstop and had at it. Still ended up having a good time, but will wait until all the snow melts before the next trip.

Shiloh
03-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Our snow is melting fast. Now it is a sloppy mess. The berm area is q muddy quagmire.
We'll have another freeze or two yet and it'll be a series of slippery frozen lakes. It was sure nice to get out. Been three times in the last two week, and chronographed some loads yesterday.

Range Clean-up day is April 3rd. Kind of early this year. Hope it dries out by then.

Shiloh

HammerMTB
03-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Theft at an open gun range? Huge huevos!

I'll say....
We call the range a low threat zone, as it's hard to imagine evildoers coming there, of all places..... :Fire:

sniper, glad you got to bust some caps today....
We have a milder winter, so I get out all year, tho much less often in the cold & wet.
Today I got to try out some of developing loads. I've got 2 working slug loads now, and I got some beanbags from a friend to try out. That was mostly an exercise in futility.
Tried out my new Hogue grips on the BH, and the knuckle buster is gone! There's still a lot of pop in hot .45 Colt loads, but I won't be bleeding from them anymore... :grin:
The AR didn't fare well. The trigger tuning resulted in doubling, so that one's ruined [smilie=1: DOH!