PDA

View Full Version : Blood lead level

DGV
03-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Got results from my yearly blood work back. Cholesterol, sugar etc. I asked my Doc. to check lead level and he said OK. Came back a 9. He said that is nothing to worry about. OK then!! Continue casting!!

MtGun44
03-12-2010, 02:46 PM
9 is real good. You are using good hygiene around lead.

Well done!

Bill

fredj338
03-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Me too, just had my semi annual done. Lead levels are normal. Then again, I do not shoot much at indoor ranges. A bigger issue than casting IMO. Most have poor ventilation & the lead priming compound do vaporize upon firing. You are at a much highe risk of lead poisoning by shooting at an indoor range frequently than casting lead bullets.

ghh3rd
03-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Mine was at 25 a few months ago. Doctor said to avoid handling lead (casting) and shooting :-(

Since I'm a lead addict, I haven't headed his advice. However, I did join an outdoor range, and haven't been to the indoor range that I frequented regularily. I don't think that their ventillation is sufficient. When I would get home from the indoor range, my nose was usually full of black soot!?

We'll see how I fare on the test in a few more months.

runfiverun
03-12-2010, 09:37 PM
i scheduled a test with my doctor a bit ago.
then cast for two 6-8 hr sessions, right before i went in.
in an enclosed garage, i smoke and drink soda while I cast, but wear a glove to open sprues with.
my lead level was an 8.
it does have to do with cleanliness, as i always wash my hands before smoking while casting.
i let the mold hang out on the pot, smoke and walk around a bit.
put my glove back on and resume casting.
i worked with lead oxide for 3 years and never had a lead level over 10. just from simply washing.
and wearing my respirator when handling the dust directly.

prs
03-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Sometimes the obvious culprit obscures the real villon. We all tend to think about our hand and ventillation "lead hygene" when smelting/casting or handling boolits and shot. Some are even sharp enough to consider the indoor range as a significant source. It seems to me that many of us forget another biggie. The dust from our dry media case cleaners. Primer dust can have lots of lead. Take care or/and go wet.

prs

timkelley
03-13-2010, 11:41 AM
My Lead Hygene must be pretty good too. Two years ago it was a '5', last week a '4'.

fredj338
03-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Mine was at 25 a few months ago. Doctor said to avoid handling lead (casting) and shooting :-(

Since I'm a lead addict, I haven't headed his advice. However, I did join an outdoor range, and haven't been to the indoor range that I frequented regularily. I don't think that their ventillation is sufficient. When I would get home from the indoor range, my nose was usually full of black soot!?

We'll see how I fare on the test in a few more months.
Yeah, don't ignore that 25, pretty serious. You'll find the biggest culprit is shooting indoors. limit that to once a month max or less, you'll be fine. Things you can do to help reduce toxic leves, eat a grapefruit everyday. Take calcium supplements. It will help reduce the lead levels in your blood stream.