PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with the LEE Sizing Die Method.

WILCO
03-12-2010, 04:10 AM
I've been able to complete my LEE Sizing Die Gas Check Maker as described by Edsmith in a previous thread. The problem I'm having is making a check that fits the shank of the boolit. I'm currently working with the LEE C312-185-1R, a .309 LEE sizing die, 13/32 blank drill rod to make my disks, 19/64,17/64 and 9/32 blank drill rods to form my GC's. Using .010 sardine can aluminum and 9/32 rod gets me close, but no cigar. 19/64 drill rod and .010 aluminum gets me a high walled gas check that goes over the driving bands. .006 brass and aluminum makes easy well formed checks with the 19/64 rod that are looser than a street walker on the strip. I was thinking that maybe I need a thicker material or a tube of J.B. Weld to keep the checks on. Any thoughts??

Boerrancher
03-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Here is what I do to make sure my checks are a good fit. I mic the shank of the boolit, and slug my bore to get an accurate size of what I need. Here is the formula I us to calculate material thickness.

(bore dia.)-(shank dia.)/2= minimum material thickness.

Notice I said minimum material thickness. In most cases you will need something around 16 thousandths thick to get a good tight fitting check. I have found that the 16 ounce aluminum Bud Light bottle works the best for my applications.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Ben
03-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Ditto Boerrancher's comments above. He is " on target " ! !

Freightman
03-12-2010, 04:10 PM
I just get my inside table out and after I make the checks I super glue them while I watch TV. I spread 25 GC's out drop a small drop of SG then pop them on the boolit, they do not come off.

edsmith
03-23-2010, 10:44 PM
what I do for loose checks is when I tumble lube, I let the boolits sit for a few hours untill tacky,then I seat the checks,I use a 3/4 round alu. section that I drill a hole that the boolit just fits, then I make a rod that fits the nose of the boolit,then I use my dremil drill press to seat the checks,let the boolits dry for about 5 days, size,they don't come off.