PDA

View Full Version : Bullplate lube

sst04
03-10-2010, 03:56 AM
What is bull plate made out of, is it graphite?

warf73
03-10-2010, 04:13 AM
Green frog snot only found in Alaska in January.

stubshaft
03-10-2010, 05:48 AM
It is a translucent blue liquid that is manufactured out of proprietary ingredients. I don't know if it contains graphite in it but because it is translucent I kinda doubt it.

Green frog snot is not only found in Alaska in January...

You can still find some in early February!

sst04
03-11-2010, 02:53 AM
Reason for asking is that I have seen the recipe for boolit lube that includes bull plate. I was just wondering if it was anything like slip plate, seen here http://www.slipplate.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1&zenid=53c8ddf4cc866ee2f6d15937ee585d2d
It is a graphite lube, was wondering if it would work in a boolit lube.

DLCTEX
03-11-2010, 04:18 AM
I don't know, but at $18 a quart with a 12 qt. minimum order plus shipping I'm not too curious. I'll just order some Bullplate and make a smaller batch of Speed Green.:veryconfu

GabbyM
03-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Off hand I'd think Slip Plate would be a disaster. It's as much a coating like paint as a lube. I've used it to coat the inside of gravity flow grain wagons. Using a air spray paint gun for application. Works great for that and last a couple of years.

You don't want to just mix up any old goop for a bullet lube.

45 2.1
03-11-2010, 10:14 AM
What is bull plate made out of, is it graphite?

Thats Bullshops little secret, but a spectrograph can tell you exactly what it is........... believe me.

felix
03-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Bull plate is a polymer, a "plastic", with a very high "char" point. If and when Dan sells the BullShop for real, he might release just what it is by name. Until then, it would be "morally" wrong for one of US to trespass on his idea in using that particular product. The first sentence should allow you to do your own research for personal use. ... felix

Recluse
03-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Until then, it would be "morally" wrong for one of US to trespass on his idea in using that particular product.

Agree.

And at just ten bucks or so for a couple of bottles that includes shipping and that will last forever (even if you DO knock over the bottle and spill half of it out--you still have a second bottle), I don't see the point of trying to figure out what's in it or how it can be emulated.

:coffee:

Springfield
03-11-2010, 12:57 PM
I've used graphite based lubes, and Bullplate is nothing like them.

357maximum
03-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Thats Bullshops little secret, but a spectrograph can tell you exactly what it is........... believe me.

See all you have to do is go buy a gasmasspectrometer to find out...pretty simple solution. Maybe Gary Sinise, Lawrence Fishburne or David Carusso would let you use one of theirs.[smilie=l:

Off hand I'd think Slip Plate would be a disaster. It's as much a coating like paint as a lube. I've used it to coat the inside of gravity flow grain wagons. Using a air spray paint gun for application. Works great for that and last a couple of years.

You don't want to just mix up any old goop for a bullet lube.

I used to work summers for a hybrid seed company hand pollinating corn. I used the brush on version in a few large gravity bins as per instructed one rainy day. I got stuck inside the first one, just like a mouse in a bowl.....that is some slippery stuff. I ended up using the rope hoist to pull my dumbself out.

It is nothing I would want in one of my barrels however. Graphite paint in the bore....ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I remember when Bullshop brought out BULLPLATE....he said it was the result of his work with synthetic lube fibers. 1 bottle of the stuff will last a man a long long time. One must be careful though ......apparently BullPlate lube and gravity are mortal enemies and gravity is always looking to spill the bottle. So maybe you should buy 2.

mtgrs737
03-11-2010, 03:43 PM
I can tell you what Bull Plate is.....

It's magic ... Silly!

What it really is, is something that makes our hobby much more enjoyable, at a price that's a bargan, and that's enough for me.

If it weren't for the round bottom on those bottles Dan would never sell more than one to any of us! (except for those of us who like to make his excellent speed green bullet lube)

geargnasher
03-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Bull plate is a polymer, a "plastic", with a very high "char" point. If and when Dan sells the BullShop for real, he might release just what it is by name. Until then, it would be "morally" wrong for one of US to trespass on his idea in using that particular product. The first sentence should allow you to do your own research for personal use. ... felix

I was going to sit this one out, see if I'm the only one who agrees to keep Dan's secret as such. In the past I've tried to keep the Speed Green formula a secret for the same reason, but it's general knowledge now. Glad I'm not the only one sticking up for Dan, it's one of his few sources of income for his family and a lot of damage could be done to him if his product was revealed.

Even when Dan sells the Bullshop, everyone oughta keep their mouths shut about Bullplate because the "proprietary" knowledge is part of keeping his business lucrative.

Gear

45 2.1
03-11-2010, 04:02 PM
When Dan sells the Bullshop, everyone oughta keep their mouths shut about Bullplate because the "proprietary" knowledge is part of keeping his business lucrative.

Several people here know what it is............ None of us will tell as long as Bullshop or his successors provide it. If it happens that it is no longer sold, then the formula, so to speak, is not lost (much like the old banana lubricant from the Scheutzen era was).

No_1
03-11-2010, 04:21 PM
I am sure there are plenty of us who think they know what it is and some of us that KNOW what it is. If you know what it is be respectful to his business and keep your mouth shut. In the end it is his product and it would not be right to let his secret out or even hint at what it may be. It was not long ago that he told us the formula to Speed Green and if he chooses to disclose the secret of BULLPLATE then it is his choice.

Robert

sst04
03-11-2010, 06:46 PM
I guess I should have worded the question different, I am not wanting to know any SECRET about bull plate, just what type of lube it is as I have never seen it smelled it of felt it. And seeing the slip plate made me wonder.

357maximum
03-12-2010, 01:34 AM
I guess I should have worded the question different, I am not wanting to know any SECRET about bull plate, just what type of lube it is as I have never seen it smelled it of felt it. And seeing the slip plate made me wonder.

It is an oily type substance with no graphite suspended in it that my eyes can detect.

Doc Highwall
03-12-2010, 11:57 AM
There are only three things you need to know about Bullplate. #1 does it work, #2 where to get it and #3 is it cheap. The answer to all three is YES!

ghh3rd
03-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Just like Felix's lube -- I know exactly how it's made, but I'll never tell :kidding:

Recluse
03-15-2010, 12:02 AM
There are only three things you need to know about Bullplate. #1 does it work, #2 where to get it and #3 is it cheap. The answer to all three is YES!

I'll add a fourth thing to your absolutely correct list:

#4. When you buy it, you're supporting one heckuva good man and his family. Same as when you buy White Label Lubes, or the famous Pat Martin's California Flake flux or a sizing die from Lathesmith or Buckshot, etc.

I like keeping my money close to home and seeing it go to GOOD folks who epitomize what we're all about.

Daddyfixit
03-15-2010, 01:02 AM
I'll add a fourth thing to your absolutely correct list:

#4. When you buy it, you're supporting one heckuva good man and his family. Same as when you buy White Label Lubes, or the famous Pat Martin's California Flake flux or a sizing die from Lathesmith or Buckshot, etc.

I like keeping my money close to home and seeing it go to GOOD folks who epitomize what we're all about.

Ahmen!

cajun shooter
03-15-2010, 09:05 AM
I guess the very nature of man makes one wonder what can this stuff be. On the other hand there is a a big thing called honor and respect and for those reasons I will continue to buy my Bullplate. I will also continue to tell others about it and that they are missing out if not using it. I struck up a friendship with a SASS Pard by the name of Dick Dastardly sometime back. I sent him some to try. He now includes it with every Big Lube mold he sells. Later David

wistlepig1
03-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Well I don't know what it is, don't care and I have 2 bottles in the mail (one to spill and one to use:kidding:) and that's the way it should be----- Bull supports his family with it, need to say more!

Rockchucker
03-16-2010, 05:51 PM
I like supporting these folks also, They help everybody and are making a living with their products. Just got three bottles of the sprue lube, how long do think they'll last me? If I knew anyone in my area I'd send or give them a bottle to try free. Most of my knowledge (what little I have) comes from all the folks here that don't mind explaining things so others can benifit from them.

happyfast79
09-25-2011, 09:22 AM
where do i get this stuff at? does he have a web site? thanks

MikeS
10-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Not getting into the discussion of Bullplate, but I went to the SlipPlate website, and that got me wondering if that stuff sprayed onto boolits would make a good lube? Not mixed into a wax based lube to fill lube grooves, more as a coating like LLA is used. Would that stuff work, or would it just make a mess?

bslim
10-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Just finished casting a little over 50,000- 38 cal. CAS bullets. I bought the usual 2 bottles of Bullplate, made sure I capped it before putting the bottle down and used it like there was no shortage. I still have 3/4 of the first bottle and obviously a full one for back up. It's the old story," If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Spend the $10 bucks , get your 2 bottles and don't worry about what's inside. Dan's supported us by supplying a superior product, a little support his way would be appropriate.

semtav
10-04-2011, 06:42 PM
where do i get this stuff at? does he have a web site? thanks

Order a a mould from NOE, they will include a small vial of bullplate with it.