PDA

View Full Version : Going Pig Hunting with TwoTrees

bruce drake
03-11-2010, 10:40 PM
After many delays due to the Army and phone calls with TwoTrees (Rick) to explain to me what pig hunting is about (Thanks Rick :smile:) and how to safely take one down, I'm going out with him tomorrow for a weekend of pig hunting.

I'll be bringing two rifles: The first is a 8mm Mauser that is my BOOLIT Rifle. Its going to be using a LEE .323 175gr RN lubed with Xlox and is pushed by 34.5gr of IMR4007SSC. It moves around 1950fps from the muzzle according to my ballistics calculator so it should operate fine within 50yards on medium to small pigs. I'm leaving the Large Trophies for Rick.

My second will be my scoped AR loaded with Hornady 55gr Spitzer Bullets that I'll reserve for a backup rifle for headshots.

I plan to use the Mauser primarily to stay within my goal of a Cast Boolit hunt.

I'll post a followup to this on Sunday when I get back with hopefully some successful pictures from the hunt.

Bruce

dragonrider
03-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Good luck Bruce.

RugerFan
03-12-2010, 09:17 AM
After many delays due to the Army and phone calls with TwoTrees (Rick) to explain to me what pig hunting is about (Thanks Rick :smile:) and how to safely take one down, I'm going out with him tomorrow for a weekend of pig hunting.

I'll be bringing two rifles: The first is a 8mm Mauser that is my BOOLIT Rifle. Its going to be using a LEE .323 175gr RN lubed with Xlox and is pushed by 34.5gr of IMR4007SSC. It moves around 1950fps from the muzzle according to my ballistics calculator so it should operate fine within 50yards on medium to small pigs. I'm leaving the Large Trophies for Rick.

My second will be my scoped AR loaded with 75 and 64gr Bullets that I'll reserve for a backup rifle.

I plan to use the Mauser primarily to stay within my goal of a Cast Boolit hunt.

I'll post a followup to this on Sunday when I get back with hopefully some successful pictures from the hunt.

Bruce

"...medium to small pigs" and to be honest I would say that load would thump a good size boar as well. Pass clean through them too. Where abouts ya'll going to be hunting? I'm currently at FOB Marez, so the pigs will have to wait.

Blammer
03-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Keep us posted Bruce! Don't forget to take your camera and take some pics!

I'll be down there with two trees on March 19-21 for some pig hunting! don't kill them all!

I'm gonna bring my 35 whelen, and my 44mag SRH.

bruce drake
03-12-2010, 09:44 AM
RugerFan

I spent a year at Marez when we first went into Iraq with the 101st. you'll be back before you know it although I think I remember this not being your first go-around over there. We are going in around Lumpkin GA. TwoTrees is part of a hunt club down there.

Well, TwoTrees has advised me the big ones are good for trophies but not good for eating so I'll try to balance it. Cast boolits will be my priority shot so I'll report on how the load works.

Blammer, So far everything is going smooth and I'll be carrying my blackberry (work-leash) so I should be able to take some camera shots as well.

You are bringing the cannons. TwoTrees likes cannons as well.

Bruce

bruce drake
03-12-2010, 09:53 AM
For the reptilian crawlers, I've got my Taurus 99 loaded with 9mm Speer Shotshells but I'd prefer not to meet up with any of them. I'm just getting my Snake boots broken in as well.

twotrees
03-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Looks like the last of the front went a bit North of Camp and all of it will be over in the next hour, down that way.

Got all of the "Inside of the Truck" stuff in the kitchen, and am going to get the trailer stuff now.

As for the big boomers, ya never feel them when your pointed at game. I "Loaded Down" the 45-70 Marlin for ya. Only 350 Gr cast over 48 gr of 3031.:twisted:

I have 45 colt loads for the 454, so it will not be any worse than you 9MM.[smilie=w:

When you get close, call my cell and I'll walk you in. BTW: the call would be nice as I have to put my "Puppies" out on the porch. Puppy #1 is a lover, not a fighter, but her Big Bro is 120 Lbs of 1/2 pit bull 1/2 black lab. Come to think of it he "Hates" pigs, maybe I should take him with us, he can sleep on the back bed with you !!!!

Seems like your choice of long arms have changed since yesterday, but I'm sure they will be fine. Do you want me to bring along my 2 , 10 round AR mags?? Or do ya think you'll need all 30???:mrgreen:

See Ya in a Bit.

scrapcan
03-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Bruce,

I have to mention that when you get there you better buy RedFoxxy a beer also. You know she is the one that is really making this happen for you! And to you and Ric, I hope you guys have a dandy of a time.

bruce drake
03-12-2010, 01:10 PM
The beers are already cooling in the car and I had to change from the .257 Roberts to the AR because I forgot I've got split bases on the Mauser and the Aimpoint has a short base for the scope.

I've got plenty of mags for the AR :) Thanks for the offer.

I have no intentions to be a pistolero on the pigs so your hand cannons are just fine

Should I bribe the puppies with tennis balls?

I'm leaving in about 35 minutes to meet you by 2

Bruce

twotrees
03-12-2010, 01:14 PM
She may be an Aussie, BUT "she don't do no Beer".

Yep, she helped me put out feeders and stands a couple of weeks ago. She's going to stay at home and let us have a "Boys Weekend".

It's about to kill her. Me loading up for camp, and she ain't going. I Love her and will miss her, but.............. We are going to hunt hard and she likes to take her time. So....... She said "Go kill something, for me".

She's on the phone right now, getting off early so we can load up and go.

Getting off now, see All Y'All Sunday night.

RugerFan
03-12-2010, 02:53 PM
RugerFan

I spent a year at Marez when we first went into Iraq with the 101st. you'll be back before you know it although I think I remember this not being your first go-around over there. We are going in around Lumpkin GA. TwoTrees is part of a hunt club down there.

Well, TwoTrees has advised me the big ones are good for trophies but not good for eating so I'll try to balance it. Cast boolits will be my priority shot so I'll report on how the load works.

Blammer, So far everything is going smooth and I'll be carrying my blackberry (work-leash) so I should be able to take some camera shots as well.

You are bringing the cannons. TwoTrees likes cannons as well.

Bruce

Very true about size. The smaller ones taste better. I shot a big bruiser last fall that had a rather "strong" flavor. Turned it into mostly smoked Polish sausage and it was fine though. Yup, my 3rd trip during OIF. I'm sure Marez has changed quite a bit since you were here. Anywho, take good pics. We'll be anxious to hear all about it.

Gee_Wizz01
03-12-2010, 10:26 PM
The big ones may not be very good to eat, but they are fun to shoot! The small ones are fun to shoot too, and a lot harder to hit. Those little porkers are fast and can turn on a dime. RugerFan is right about the Polish sausage! Garlic and smoke can take care of most strong pork. If meat is really bad we grind up all the meat and use it for dog food and the dogs don't complain.

G

RedFoxy
03-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Update from TwoTrees' Other Half

Last night they arrived at camp safely after picking up extra corn.

Spoke with them at around 10pm and the hogs were running the valley behind camp.

Hope they are having good hunting. Will update with any more information as i get it.

RedFoxy

hicard
03-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the update RedFoxy

Blammer
03-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Hope they get some. This is what I'll be shooting at them.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/DSCN7432.jpg

and this for the whelen

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/DSCN6696.jpg

257 Shooter
03-14-2010, 12:40 AM
Blammer, I think you should use try a boolit with a little larger melpat. If you hit a pig with one of those you will only be able to see half way through a pig instead of all the way!

Old Goat Keeper
03-14-2010, 01:04 AM
Blammer what are those pistol boolits? They look like very big soup cans! lol

Tom who wants to go pig huntin too

Blammer
03-14-2010, 09:58 AM
the bottom ones are 35 whelen boolits. 267gr 35 cal.

top ones are 44 cal Full Wadcutter, from a group buy. :)

twotrees
03-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Tired.....Had a Ball.... Got skunked !!!!!:holysheep

The rains have all the creeks swollen and the pigs can't cross.

Lots of tracks... Always made when we were someplace else.

Guess it's track soup for this week.[smilie=1:

Blammer, You better bring good JuJu when you come. I guess a rabbit's foot would help :wink:

Will post the real story later, I need a shower. After hunting in the drizzles all weekend, I want Warm Water on me !!!

See Y'All Later.

OBXPilgrim
03-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Hate to hear you guys struck out, but I was afraid of the stories I'd hear of those "boolit-proof" hogs. Everyone knows you can't put a soft little cast boolit through that plating!

:kidding:

Blammer
03-14-2010, 08:49 PM
didn't you know my middle name was 'schleprock'?

bruce drake
03-14-2010, 09:24 PM
I'll second Rick's baseline report. Great comradery, lousy weather.

And seeing those large fresh pig tracks in the sand as we were leaving camp after chasing trails all weekend really set the laughter off for our trip home. Can you say 100 meters down from camp...

P.S. Hoot Owls!

Bruce

twotrees
03-14-2010, 09:39 PM
They were really Wumpus Cats !!!!:evil:

Can't tell the whole story 'cause Blammer will pull out.

"Wumpus Cat" The most vicious creature in the woods. It has the head of a wild cat on one end and the head of an alligator on the other. Can you guess why he's so Mean???

Later, got to get to bed have to get son to work at 5:15 AM !!!!!!

bruce drake
03-17-2010, 01:33 PM
It's a good hunt when you are sitting in your office on a rainy day a week after the hunting trip and you wish you were still at hunt camp.

Bruce