PDA

View Full Version : Extra generous lube groove...

kamikaze1a
03-11-2010, 04:22 PM
It looks like I will finally start using a mold that produced out of round/slightly undersized boo's. Even before I tried sizing any, I felt the lube groove was excessive and my first sizing/lube session confirmed it because I need to crank the lube feed way more often...I would say it's probably almost three times deeper/wider than most.

Anyone else have a simple solution? Partial fill? Machine the groove? Or just live with it?

BABore
03-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Use a cheap, simple lube in it and fill it up. Something like the old NRA recipe of idustrial vasline, beeswax, and parafin in equal amounts. If you use a slick, hi-tech lube in it, it will not only be a waste but also likely to cause flyers from too much of a good thing. Velocity, lube capacity, lube quality, and lube hardeness need to be balanced for accuracy.

kamikaze1a
03-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Thank you for your input BaBore. My concern was the excess lube causing even more smoke and did not even take into consideration how it might affect accuracy or function. I guess I will find out when I send a few downrange...

You make molds? Very cool! We're working on a gb right now for a 200gr TC for 40/10mm but can't seem to get enough interest...