PDA

View Full Version : Sizing Bullets.... Another Greenhorn Question

Greenhorn44
03-11-2010, 02:51 PM
When Sizing bullets. I first pan lube, let them cool, pop them out of the cake, and then size. When i size it takes quite abit of force. Lee round nose 240 grain. Lee 430 sizer. Exact size as my JHP's Comes out nice, but i notice lead shavings in my loob grooves? Is this normal. Also at the base of the Boolit, has a fin where excess lead ends up. Is this okay. :cbpour:

Mk42gunner
03-11-2010, 04:09 PM
I don't pan lube, but it soundsd to me as if you are doing it correctly. The excess lead has to go somewhere, what size are your bullets before sizing? What press are you using the Lee sizer in? Probably the biggest question, how hard are your bullets?

Robert

Le Loup Solitaire
03-11-2010, 09:51 PM
It sounds like you are doing things right/ok, and little lead shavings won't really hurt anything...but they shouldn't really be there. Sizers aren't supposed to shave; they are supposed to squeeze down. The lead is supposed to flow. The bullets may hard-that wouldn't really matter as even hard (not brittle) alloy would flow. I suspect that you have a slight sharp shoulder in your sizing die and if you can check and spot it then you should polish it out...just the edge thats doing the shaving and not the whole length if the diameter of the die itself. A piece/short sction of dowel with grade 400 or 600 black sandpaper around it or some really fine lapping compound would do it, but go real slow and keep checking with bullets until the shavings go away. Clean the die well when you're finished as you don't want anything abrasive that's left over going down the bore. LLS