PDA

View Full Version : Charger bridge

bary
03-11-2010, 02:48 AM
Have a bit of a quandary.

I have a pre-'64 Win, 70 featherweight in .30-06. Started shooting High Power (sporting rifle class) with it in '08. Started shooting the 16/2400 load in it and switched to a Williams WGRS receiver sight. It'll break 90% on the 600-yard reduced course target if I do my part. I'm a pretty happy camper.

There is a bit of a problem, though. I bought the sight and installed it hoping to switch it over to shooting Match Rifle Class. Unfortunately the blind magazine does not lend itself to a quick reload during Prone or Sitting Rapid Fire. I thought about replacing the bottom metal with a detachable box magazine doo-hickey, but don't want to spend upwards of 200 bucks.

I would prefer to figure out a way to feed the rifle with stripper clips. Numrich has charger bridges for #4 enfields. I should be able to rig/JB weld one of these to the front of the sight (the WGRS actually makes contact with the back end of the ejection port). However, will the bridge function with Springfield/Mauser stripper clips? Or are they too narrow to fit the gap for the strippers designed around the rimmed .303?

Thanks
Bary

bohica2xo
03-11-2010, 04:41 AM
Use the charging guide from an M14 instead. It will fit the USGI strippers.

B.

richbug
03-11-2010, 07:58 AM
Use the charging guide from an M14 instead. It will fit the USGI strippers.

B.

+1, or for that matter make one from scratch to use Mauser clips. 303 clips, will not work for 30-06.

higgins
03-11-2010, 11:14 AM
I just checked some Springfield and Mauser clips in a No.4 charger guide, and they're waaaay too loose to suit me; they're not near snug enough to secure the clip while cartridges are stripped into the action.

bary
03-11-2010, 02:08 PM
I see. Thanks.

bary
03-11-2010, 02:17 PM
I found an M14 cartridge clip guide on gunbroker. I'm not well versed on the M14...how exactly did it attach to the rifle? Looking at pictures I'd assume some kind of pin?

Hardcast416taylor
03-11-2010, 02:38 PM
bary. If I remember correctly the assembly was held in place by a roll pin and the guide was on a dovetail.Robert

Doc Highwall
03-11-2010, 03:52 PM
I saw a person one time at a match an they had what looked like a Weaver scope base mounted that had a stripper clip slot milled into it.

Frank46
03-12-2010, 12:49 AM
Try Mo Difina (spelling?) he sells supplies for hi power shooters. He may have heard of a gizmo that used the rear scope screw holes to mount a charger guide. Google is your friend. Hope this helps. Frank

bary
03-12-2010, 02:25 AM
Unfortunately the WGRS sight takes up both of the rear screw mounting holes. It's not one of those cool Lyman target sights that mounts in the holes on the side of the receiver. I think the key to success would revolve around rigging a way to fix the clip guide to the sight body.

bary
04-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Bought an M14 clip guide from Numrich. I did some looking and thinking (dangerous!) and realized the only way to make it fit was to remove A LOT of metal from the guide and attach it to the front of the sight body. Ten minutes on the bench grinder later and it fits pretty well. Waiting for the AM to fix it in place...will post pictures when it's done.

Multigunner
04-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Have a bit of a quandary.

I have a pre-'64 Win, 70 featherweight in .30-06. Started shooting High Power (sporting rifle class) with it in '08. Started shooting the 16/2400 load in it and switched to a Williams WGRS receiver sight. It'll break 90% on the 600-yard reduced course target if I do my part. I'm a pretty happy camper.

There is a bit of a problem, though. I bought the sight and installed it hoping to switch it over to shooting Match Rifle Class. Unfortunately the blind magazine does not lend itself to a quick reload during Prone or Sitting Rapid Fire. I thought about replacing the bottom metal with a detachable box magazine doo-hickey, but don't want to spend upwards of 200 bucks.

I would prefer to figure out a way to feed the rifle with stripper clips. Numrich has charger bridges for #4 enfields. I should be able to rig/JB weld one of these to the front of the sight (the WGRS actually makes contact with the back end of the ejection port). However, will the bridge function with Springfield/Mauser stripper clips? Or are they too narrow to fit the gap for the strippers designed around the rimmed .303?

Thanks
Bary

The bridge of the No.4 is simply a bar with clearance for the guide that fits in cutouts on either side of the main body of the charger guide, Held by screws on the early No.4 and brazed in place on the later No.4 rifles. The major milled portions of the guide are inside the guide which is part of the action body itself, one side being part of the left receiver wall, the other standing from the righthand rail, not separate parts.
The No.1 rifle charger guide is a complete unit shink riveted into a milled recess in the left sidewall and to the right rail.

Either would be totally unsuited to your needs.