PDA

View Full Version : Ballard 1861 Kentucky Half Stock

griaguns
03-11-2010, 01:37 AM
Hello all.I am new to the site and have an issue that I hope someone can help me with.
I have recently acquired an 1861 Ballard Military 1/2 stock Kentucky rifle.
It is in original condition other than the nose piece of the hammer has been changed to center fire rather than rim fire.I believe that the original cartridge was a 44 cal. rim fire and it was common to use 44 long once the hammer nose had been changed.
I have slugged the barrel and it is .418
The base diameter is .444 and the rim is .509-.511
Would I use 44 special and swage it down to this base diameter or is there a cartridge available or would I use 41 Mag and fire form it to the chamber.
I look forward to all comments.
I am also looking to replace the butt stock and forearm on this and would appreciate any sources for these items.
Thanks in advance.
Graham

missionary5155
03-11-2010, 06:26 AM
Good morning & WELCOME about.
That sounds like one fine project ! I have a box full of similar old rifles waiting attention everytime I get back up there.
Are you sure this is safe to fire? Old rifles will fly apart. NEW ones do !
The one consideration is the extractor. IF 41 mag rims are of proper diameter I would go that route. Find someone with a Marlin 41 mag rifle and probably the brass will already be the right diameter.
But I would get me a .420 RB, Lube it, load a 41 mag brass , place the ball on top and see if it will chamber. IF that works fill that case with 2F (Black POwder) and head to the range. Ist firing I would tie that rifle to a car tire and set it off from behind a tree or wall.
I have an old ballard that was a 38 long that was somewhere reamed to 38-50: I shoot a 210 grain .385 bullet with 2F and it is a terror on Groundhogs and cayotees under 75 yards.

griaguns
03-11-2010, 12:09 PM
This is safe to fire for sure.

singleshotman
03-11-2010, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't brother with it, All those early ballards are CAST IRON and very weak, i bought one that turned out to be cracked at the rear(locking area).I found out later it's very common in early ballards.That's why no one but a fool uses them for any Centerfire`cartridge, there only good for a .22 rimfire-unless you have one of the last ones made out of STEEL-and forged.Those are rare to say the least.I owned one but had to sell it because of medical `problems.It was a 38-55, #4 Perfection rifle.

griaguns
03-12-2010, 11:12 PM
I have quite a few very old firearms and I have shot all of them.This Ballard will be another shooter.If the firearm is in good shape and you are being very carefull with the loads there is no reason not to shoot them.(mind you strapping them down and tying a string around the trigger ,being a safe distance away for the first couple of shots is some times advisable.Graham