PDA

View Full Version : Actual dia. of .54 REAL ?

Razor
03-11-2010, 01:14 AM
Like the title implies, I would like to know if anyone can tell me the actual maximum diameter of the .54 LEE R.E.A.L. ??

I have a IAB '63 Sharps and my Pedersoli Sharps mould is too small..(@ .542 )
I slugged the bore and got .5495 ~ .550 " groove to groove.
I'm wondering if the REAL will give me better than 'minute-of-sheet-of-plywood' accuracy @ 50 yds ... :violin:

Huntsman
03-11-2010, 05:42 AM
According to LEE and according to your lead/tin purity. The bullet features four bore-tiding bands. The diameters of the bands increase progressively from the base to the point in increments of 0.005". For example, the base band of a 45-caliber REAL bullet measures 0.452", the second band, 0.457", the third band, 0.462" and the fourth band, 0.467".

curator
03-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Razor,

I measured one of my 300 grain .54 REAL bullets: top band .5505, middle: ,5500, bottom: .5430.

Mine are cast from pure lead with about 1/2% tin added. I shoot this bullet from my Perdersoli Mortimer .54 flintlock with excellent accuracy. My load is 75 grains of Goex FFFg and a 28 gauge "nitro" card wad. I lube them with a 50/50 bee's wax/lard, filling the grooves.

docone31
03-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Talk about complicated loading!
You will have to place the powder, then set the casting on top of the powder.
If it were me, I would get the Dixie Gun Works ring tail mold. I never could tie the casting to the paper cartridge, but I could place the casting and the paper behind it.
The R.E.A.L. is a great casting, for a muzzle loader. I do not know what would happen if you sized it to fit the chamber space.
Those are great rifles. They do take a touch to get to print, butl, when they do it is great.

Razor
03-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas...very helpful.
I wasn't aware that the LEE r.e.a.l. had graduated bands, like the Pedersoli mould.
Curator, your measurements are EXACTLY what I was needing..The LEE should work.
Doc, The loading ain't that complicated; I plop the lead into the chamber then the paper powder cartridge. (120gr FFg), lever the block shut, cap and fire. LOTS of lovely recoil and smoke .[smilie=w:
I am gonna go check out the Dixie rigtail mould now..
Thanks again Guys.. :bigsmyl2:

docone31
03-11-2010, 11:29 PM
I wonder about the R.E.A.L.
If you are going to do that, how about a Minie' paper patched?
http://members.shaw.ca/bobschewe/
I have not found the R.E.A.L.s to perform well over 70gns. The group opens up at that point.
My 1863 by Pedersoli could only take 60gns, 70 if I hammered the boolitt into the bore.

Razor
03-11-2010, 11:57 PM
My 1863 by Pedersoli could only take 60gns, 70 if I hammered the boolitt into the bore.
A .54...right ?? 60 grs seems awfully light for a full chamber.
My 120 gr load is, of course, the weight of the chamber volume...In all honesty, I probably lose mebbe 10 grs when the breech block shears the end off. So.. call it a 54/110 ??
I wonder about the disparity of volumes ??
Do I have my head up my ^$$ about something ??

Darn good point about paper patching...I had considered that.
I figger'd it'd cost 'bout the same whether I got a Lee lube and sizer set, or bought a R.E.A.L. mould.
Just wasn't sure about the actual measurements.
I did try some PP, but got that terrible accuracy (lack of)
I cosidered sizing the Pedersoli boolit to get rid of the 'christmas tree' profile then PP to .550..
Just ain't decided which way to go..yet..
Disturbing info about the REAL not performing well for you over 70 grs.
Gotta do some more pondering.
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

NickSS
03-12-2010, 05:17 AM
I have an IAB carbine and shoot a Rapine christmas tree bullet in it. I have two sizes one is for the Pedersoli its base band measures .546 and the one for the IAB and Armi Sport base band is .556" The pedersoli like the original sharps has a bore diameter of .520 and a groove diameter of .540 9give or take half a thousandth. The IAB and Armi Sport Sharps have bores that measure roughly .540 and groove diameters of .550. Therefore the bullet for one is too small for the other or vise versa. I have sharps in all three makes but my most shot one is the IAB because its the least trouble to shoot. By the way each make has different max chamber capacities. I generally make paper cartridges with 60 to 85 gr of powder to equal the original cartridges. However, in my armi sport carbine the chamber is so short that I can only get 45 to 50 gr in it.

curator
03-12-2010, 07:29 PM
The IAB Sharps carbine I have has a pretty large chamber that holds over 100 grains of powder if full loading the Dixie ringtail .54 caliber slug. I think they were originally supplied with a brass chamber liner but I don't have it. I have shot the Lee "modern-Minnie" bullet (.574 diameter) in it quite successfully. the minnie bullet fills the front half of the cavernous chamber and it only takes about 60 grains to fill the rear of the chamber. Accuracy is good, recoil is moderate (compared to 100 grains!) and there is no leading and little fouling. I have also used the 300 grain REAL but I loaded them backwards for best effect (and accuracy) Sort of like a large wadcutter!

Razor
03-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks fellas, good info and insight here.
I apprecxiate the help.