PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me what these go to?

BCall
03-11-2010, 12:19 AM
I have these two items, and I'm really not sure what they go to.

The first appears to be a sizing(?) die of some kind? It is all one piece, nothing screws in or out. Threaded for standard press (7/8x14?), but has that kinda weird nose on it? Has 222 Rem on it but nothing else. Hole is large enough for a 22 bullet to pass through. My first thought was a sizing die for a Lyman Ezy loader? Can anybody confirm this?
The second is a shellholder , marked #26 and fits a 223 size case head. I have no idea what it goes to, anybody have any like it? I've never seen one like it before.
Thanks for the help! Billy
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN850774.jpg

mike in co
03-11-2010, 12:40 AM
does the case poke out the top ? a trim die ?

BCall
03-11-2010, 12:59 AM
Nope, here is a pic next to a 222 case. I just tested it, ran an old 222 case up in it, and it did resize the case. Seems like it would work the brass a bit much, but it works. Would need a separate expander of some kind. Thanks, Billy
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN850775.jpg

ktw
03-11-2010, 01:14 AM
I have one exactly like it only labeled "308". Got it in a box of used dies somewhere, but not 308 Win as I don't own a rifle or dies for that cartridge. I don't know what it was originally intended for either.

With some experimenting I figured out that the top of mine is the right outside diameter to mount a Lyman 55 and use as a 7/8x14 powder drop die.

-ktw

Lon
03-11-2010, 03:35 AM
The shell holder looks like the old Herter's type that was held in the ram with a set screw.

skeet028
03-11-2010, 08:53 AM
That is a die for an old loader made by Lyman... the EZ Loader. Goes in from the bottom. I can probably post pics of the machine and complete die set

Pressman
03-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Yep, ezy loader sizing die. Goes in the rear, center die station, the only position strong enough for sizing.
As for the shellholder, I have not seen one like it. The question is what is the diameter of the shank?
Ken

BCall
03-11-2010, 08:12 PM
I figured it was for the Lyman press. I've just never actually seen one. Anybody want it? I got no use for it. PM me, I'll ship it to you if you do.

Pressman, the shank is right at .499-.500. Thanks everyone! Billy

Pressman
03-19-2010, 08:04 PM
B, your package arrived safely. You have return mail. Still searching for the press that shellholder fits.
Thanks a BIG bunch,
Ken

dddddmorgan
03-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Pressman, I have a press I am in need of the shell holder adapter that you have pictured. Would you be willing to sell yours? If so please email me dddddmorgan@gmail.com

It is an adapter to fit the Herter's brand presses. I believe it will work with maybe an old Pacific or Krupp but can't swear to it.

I have a Herter's #3 two hole press that uses these; as someone correctly stated it sits in the ram and is held in place with a set screw, then you are able to use modern shell holders. Otherwise you have to try and find the old Herter's shell holders that look like that but they are the shell holder on one end.

Thanks

Pressman
03-20-2010, 07:22 PM
revernddan, sorry, I do not have any spare Herter's adapters. If I did I would make you a heck of a deal.
There is one currently on ebay being made by someone that looks very good. Most adapters are too tall and affect ram travel a lot. This one does not seem to be that way, too much anyway.

The shellholder pictured fits an as yet unknown press. The shank is only 1/2" in diameter. Lyman J's are 9/16". It is a shellholder, not an adapter. It is marked "26" and takes 222 cases.
So far the only press I have found that takes a 1/2" shank shellholder is the RedHead and this one is not one of them either. So the mystery continues.
Ken