PDA

View Full Version : Seating GC's on oversized bullets?

Okie2
03-10-2010, 09:39 PM
So....how do you seat a GC on an oversized bullet...say at .460 bullet for my 45-70 or a .381 for my 38-55. No lyman or RCBS lube/sizers in those sizes (Don't have the units anyway) & no Lee Push through sizer either? I don't want to reduce the bullet sizes but I want GC on those bullets...How to do? Can I beagle up the size on a close to fit Lee Push through sizer with a dremmel tool?

How do you guys get the GC's on those "bigger than standard" bullets? Thanks, Scott

Ben
03-10-2010, 09:55 PM
You can open up a sizing die, but PLEASE don't use a Dremel Tool.

You should be able to do a search on opening up a bullet sizing die. This subject has been covered in the past pretty heavily.

Okie2
03-10-2010, 10:23 PM
I just checked on the Lee site...they will make a custom lube/sizer in whatever diameter you want for $29...that seems to be the way I'll go...Like the way they work anyway. Thanks, Scott

stubshaft
03-11-2010, 12:27 AM
PM Buckshot He can make you a push through die. Lee does make them but Buckshot will make you one quicker and better than the Lee unit (he made my .460" sizer).

DLCTEX
03-11-2010, 04:46 AM
I think someone was using a Lee FCD and setting the boolit down through the top to crimp the gas check on with the collet. That is the rifle die, not the pistol FCD die which doesn't have the collet. I don't know if the 45-70 FCD is the collet type, since it is a straight case. I was thinking of this recently as a way to crimp the gas checks on the Ranch Dog boolits I cast.

Calamity Jake
03-11-2010, 09:55 AM
So....how do you seat a GC on an oversized bullet...say at .460 bullet for my 45-70 or a .381 for my 38-55. No lyman or RCBS lube/sizers in those sizes (Don't have the units anyway) & no Lee Push through sizer either? I don't want to reduce the bullet sizes but I want GC on those bullets...How to do? Can I beagle up the size on a close to fit Lee Push through sizer with a dremmel tool?

How do you guys get the GC's on those "bigger than standard" bullets? Thanks, Scott

Once you get the lee type push thru die as suggested above then you can seat and crimp the GC with it.

woody1
03-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Will a gas check fit on the shank of your oversize boolit? That's the first question I have to ask. If so, you've received the solution's. Either a custom sizer die or open up a close to size Lee push thru. Regards, Woody